Auto gearbox problem

Markcavey

Reaction score
Dont know if im in the right bit or not im new i have a audi s4 b6 cabriolet auto tiptronic had the atf changed and filter after a week the gearboxs gone from 1st to 2nd quick but theres like a second delay before it selects 2nd it quite a heavy change as well and down change 3rd to 2nd seems to make a clonk same sort of delay not as bad in sport and tiptronic drive it hard and it seems ok went back to the garage i only use the one garage got him to check to make sure it had enough atf he said it as any of you guys have any idea it ran fine before this wish i had left now lol many mark

Seems the ATF change wasnt done right.Some say this box doesnt need one and if you do get it done at Audi.What year mileage and engine do you have?

Thanks for your reply mike it was my garage ive used for years he done my abs problem as was a problem lol he changed atf he filled at the correct temp which seems to be between 32 34 degrees the atf was green that came out and got the new from audi that was green and about 40 quid a litre and new filter im at a loss now do you have any suggestions thanks mark

Just read yours Mark.Mines a 2.5 tdi 04 auto which has had ATF at about 110k cos a helper drained the box by mistake otherwise dont think I would have bothered but it did seem better and I have since seen comments that you cant expect the ATF to last for ever and the box makers recommend a change.Audi did it cost about £150 total so dont know where £40 litre comes from.If it was OK before then logic says something is wrong.The mileage on yours should mean that the box is good and I believe these are strong compared with the multi box.How much ATF did they use?I think mine would take up to 8 litres if the total was changed.Audi only used 5 cos it was atop up.Seems you need to go back to them .I would try to find out if they have experience of this or would agree to try again otherwise go to Audi before any more damage is done.

Hello mike dont know if it makes a difference but mines the v8 audi done what fluid and filter by my vin and reg and it came back with g060 162 a2 atf and its green in colour and its 40 quid a litre plus vat i had to query the price and they said will need 6 litres and filter but gearbox takes 9 but it doesnt all come out thats why i need 6 its the same stuff that was put in a few week ago ive printed off the correct procedure of the oil change for my car audi also said i cannot put anything else in or gearbox will die sounds dramatic but can only go on what audi have said and no one stocks it i had to order it aswell having it done again my man at the garage i use said i can come down and watch him do it im hoping it gets sorted the price to have the box reconditioned is a fortune thank again for your help hopefully i let you know that its sorted fingers crossed lol Saturday

Mark found my invoice 2011 they used G052162a2 at 9.71 ex vat .Same was later used by my local man when he fixed a leak in a diff and I have some left which is almost clear with a green tinge.I was told nothing else would do.Also if the filter was changed the full amount would be needed cos the pan comes off and all the ATF is drained so dont know why yours would be different.This doesnt seem to be helping you a lot but again as these are said to be so reliable and it came back wrong it seems to point to some mistake.Hope you get it sorted.I have long since decided that I cant justify any more big spending.Shame cos the car really suits me

Hi mike yea the oil number is different and it take different oil to yours dont ask me why but your oil can't go in mine just going to have to wait until Saturday im hoping once its done again its back to normal they want a fortune if it needs reconditioning is yours a six speed tiptronic yea im the same wont be spending loads on it love the car just dont think they stand the test of time im sure you could say it about most modern cars dont help when it yours tho lol will undate when its done

Mark yes they must be different but the pricing is wierd.As I said everyone says how strong these are so you must hope it turns out to be their mistake.Mines only 5 speed but thats OK for me.It was originally my sons and he still borrows it a lot cos he has a leg problem and prefers the auto to his S3.He wants me to go halves in a S4 auto but thats a big step up so not keen unless the A4 lets me down

Hi mike my s4 has a few engine mods its near 400 brake I'll put some pictures up if you like a bit of power not a bad choice and sound nice let you know Saturday cant come quick enough lol thanks

Hi Mark thats nice.He says we must go for another Avant or maybe a saloon.We already share aTT roadster 02 Quattro which we found cheap cos it needed some minor fixes and like his 03 S3 seems to be holding value if cared for.Looked at a couple of early 3.0 v6s but he says that he has heard of box issues so maybe a later one .As always he likes to get all the extras and its surprising how many come short of something nice like even heated seats missing .Hope all goes well

Hi mike had the oil change done again still the same issue so not to happy it still feel like its a lack of oil issue to me cause we could only get about 4 .5 litres in it got a rough quote for audi to do it upto 700 so dont know what to do now follow the atf write up to the letter the oil that come out was nice and clean still it had only been in there for month tops going to try and find someone who has done these boxes and see what they say thanks for your help mike get back to you if i find anyone with answers

Mark sorry to hear but not surprised .Do you have any idea how much came out this time and last time?I agree that it seems the box is low on ATF cos clearly a full refill would need a lot more.I think I would be inclined to get advice elsewhere.Good luck.Mike

Hi mike yea it was about 4.5 ish perhaps a bit more but not much it still feels like fuild issue to me ive had the car for 5 years and you get to know your car trying to find someone who knows how to do it properly spent about 750 now on atf and filters alone so had enough at the moment

Mark theres not much about yours to go on but one post says its not possible to get all the old ATF out and the new doesnt like mixing with old.Where are you?Anywhere near NW.London cos theres someone there that we have been to who might be able to help.

I live by dartford bridge if i can get it sorted or have someone who knows about it i go anywhere lol thanks mike

Well if you can contact him he is Adamms 24 on here .Used to post a lot and was well known as the go to man.Lived in Muswell Hill off N.circ and we went there some yesrs ago cos the A4 was running badly when we got it and he spent the day doing the belts and retiming it.Been good since.I have his mobile somewhere if you want

Thanks mike got to have a week off from it. its p***ed me right off at the moment thanks a lot tho i will get back to you about it you know what its like when it dont go right not happy is a understatement thanks again