Audi S3 - What is this part in these photos?

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Arvo,

just got 4 x new tyres fitted and had a look around whilst the wheels were all off.

I had a look under and saw this bit hanging away.

Any one now what it is, looked like a plastic guard?

its the driveshaft boot and its either ripped or the shaft is hanging out. Either way Id want it looked at asap.

Thanks, the otherside is fine.

Looks like it's 'dropped down' and ripped away from the housing.

out of 10 bad how...9?

does it drive ok? If the shaft is still connected to the box/diff then just a new boot required. If the shaft is separated then a bit worse :|

Yeah she drives fine (famous last words..) but hear a 'clunk' everynow and again. Had a feel behind the boot and all seemed well and connected. Anything else I can do to make sure. Cheers Pablo!

get it down to a spanner monkey mate you dont want too much dirt getting in round the joint

Fair, will do. Just booked into Fontains on the 14th for a service, better see if they can do it earlier, or going to have to pop in at AMD tomorrow. Cheers

Is the clonking when turning a corner or on full-lock? If so you may need a new CV joint. I don't know if it's possible to replace just the joint or whether the whole driveshaft needs replacing.

The rubber boot (or gaiter) protects the CV joint from road dirt getting in and mashing the bearings up. Split boots are an MOT failure and, as pablo says, should be replaced ASAP to prevent the whole joint from being knackered.

Get it changed asap, as the boot hold the grease in for the CV joint. As stated a worn CV joint will show up as a clonking when driving on full lock.

That's not an MOT failure btw. A broken outer CV boot would be.

Ummm, why would the inner not be a fail, but the outer would?? Surely a CV boot is a CV boot, and if split, is a fail. It will jettison all the grease causing dramatic wear on the joint and the possibility of it failing.

Therefore as clear a fail as I could imagine?

Anybody correct me if they work at an MOT station, but I'm fairly certain it would fail.

I bodged mine shut with masking tape after filling it with grease until it could be changed.

yeah only the outer is part of the check, and they only check the boot, not the joint for any damamge for some reason

LaSarthe&Back said:
Ummm, why would the inner not be a fail, but the outer would?? Surely a CV boot is a CV boot, and if split, is a fail. It will jettison all the grease causing dramatic wear on the joint and the possibility of it failing.

I bodged mine shut with masking tape after filling it with grease until it could be changed.

Did you expierence and 'clanging' or 'scraping' and then it wears off after a while and continues fine? Sounds like i've got the gaiter caught in something when the moving. Only in the car for a couple of days before it gets looked at so will it be worth bodging it do you reckon?

Seems as though the jubilee clip which holds the boot to the inner shaft has come off, which also means that the lubrication has escaped. have a look on the underside of the alloy wheel which come off this side..u may see grease which has splattered out whilst driving..Well get it changed, or it just may need a jubilee clip...do it asap as it will result in messing up your driveshaft.
cheers