Audi S3 8V Exhaust Valve Open

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am hoping some of the more technical guys can help with this question. I am aware you can disable the exhaust valves via the VCD and enable better sound of the S3.

However would this be different to putting the gear into s mode and the valves opening? I have read that even with the valves open in s mode they close as you move off and open after 4000 rpm?

Could someone confirm this or if anyone's had this done advice how the sound is like and if it drones?

You are correct!

The biggest difference with having the valves open all the time is that you get significantly beefier exhaust sound during moderate acceleration at low/medium rpms.

At constant speed you hear almost no difference.

Some like it, me included, others don't...

Thats good to know is it a big difference in low down sound? or is it the soundaktor making it louder?

It's not the soundaktor, it's the exhaust all opened up at all rpm range and slight beefier sound. But the main reason I did it was because the carbon built up would be evenly spread on all four pipes this way rather than just the inner two, makes cleaning much easier, I just wipe it down with damp cloth every other week or so.

Reactions: davc
Thats good to know is it a big difference in low down sound? or is it the soundaktor making it louder?

It sounds far better, you won't be disappointed. Don't do it via VCDS yet, trial it first.

Out your car into dynamic with the engine running (do it fast before the pipes get hot, so take a look first) and unplug the valves. They will have been open when you unplug them and will remain open until you plug them back in.
You should be able to shut the engine off after putting it in dynamic and the valves not close, but I am not 100% so I left mine running.

It sounds far better, you won't be disappointed. Don't do it via VCDS yet, trial it first.

Out your car into dynamic with the engine running (do it fast before the pipes get hot, so take a look first) and unplug the valves. They will have been open when you unplug them and will remain open until you plug them back in.
You should be able to shut the engine off after putting it in dynamic and the valves not close, but I am not 100% so I left mine running.

Doe's this throw up any warning or fault codes?

It's not the soundaktor, it's the exhaust all opened up at all rpm range and slight beefier sound. But the main reason I did it was because the carbon built up would be evenly spread on all four pipes this way rather than just the inner two, makes cleaning much easier, I just wipe it down with damp cloth every other week or so.
On the subject of the soundaktor, if you have, or know someone with vcds you can turn it off. It's synthetic nonsense if you ask me.

Select Control Module A9- Structure Borne Sound

Change value from 100% to 0%

I did this the same time I disabled the exhaust flaps on my car.

Doe's this throw up any warning or fault codes?
Yes.

If you do it with vcds you don't get any faults

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
If you have access to VCDS it's extremely simple to turn off. It's easier than finding plugs at the back, pulling them and making sure you don't get moisture in them. Plus you don't get any faults doing it with VCDS whereas you will get faults if you pull the plugs.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Had it done on my S3. As above do it through VCDS. It's not a massive increase in noise but does sound better.

Did mine by unplugging them. Took it into Audi like that the other day for a rear diffuser replacement (so it would have been up in the air), no questions asked :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks for the advice guys, I think i will probably do it via VCD just to make sure its a proper job! :D

Is it me or when the flaps are open there is a strong smell of fuel around?

Thanks for the advice guys, I think i will probably do it via VCD just to make sure its a proper job! :D

Is it me or when the flaps are open there is a strong smell of fuel around?

I think that's because it dumps abit of unburnt fuel in the exhaust system to create the pops and crackles. I could be wrong on that though...

I think that's because it dumps abit of unburnt fuel in the exhaust system to create the pops and crackles. I could be wrong on that though...

I wonder if that is the case why they only made the fart sound and why not add the pops and crackles on top!!! :(

I wonder if that is the case why they only made the fart sound and why not add the pops and crackles on top!!! :(
Sorry to say, but the fart is actually to do with the ignition being cut while changing gears, not to do with fuel being injected into the exhaust

Reactions: Mark_86
Sorry to say, but the fart is actually to do with the ignition being cut while changing gears, not to do with fuel being injected into the exhaust
Yep, was wrong then lol