audi drive select settings

Daz4311

Reaction score
Audi drive select....there's lots of choices.......some people like different settings. ..so I thought if start a new thread....so who like which settings....why ect ect...I have only had my car for 4 weeks so not had much time to try different setting and see how they feel different to each other...

I use individual most of the time set up as dynamic but with comfort suspension and comfort steering. I'm not a fan of the dynamic steering for every day use, it feels a bit tight.

I'll use dynamic if I'm on a country road and not stuck behind someone and then if I'm on the way to work in rush hour traffic I'll stick it into efficiency mode, sometimes.

Never used auto mode, not really sure what it does to be honest.

By the way a tip I found the other day in case you don't know, each key saves its own 'individual' setting, so if you have multiple drivers who like different settings you don't have to keep changing it!

I use efficiency mode to and from work.(only 6 miles away...lol)
Individual mode when I'm out and about set at dynamic in steering,comfort on suspension and dynamic on engine and gearbox...:friends:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
Might be a silly question as not near car at.moment...but can't remember seeing settings for the gearbox?

Reactions: pburv
Might be a silly question as not near car at.moment...but can't remember seeing settings for the gearbox?
Is your car S Tronic? I'm sure it's in the settings in Individual mode? Have a close look at the top line in the pic below..:friends:
images

Yes s tronic...will go out and look later when wife is home from sainsburys lol...cheers

On my car everything is set to dynamic except the suspension which I leave on auto.

On occasion I'll switch it to dynamic for some A road blasts but around town the ride is too unsettled.

Since we don't get Efficiency here in the West, I drive most of the time in Auto, which is the next best at fuel saving. Dynamic and Comfort being the least best at fuel saving and Individual being near pointless on the A3 with so few options compared to the S3.

Wish someone figured out how to hack the A3's Drive Select MMI controls to reveal the Engine Sound adjuster like on the S3.

Gearbox and engine dynamic, suspension comfort, steering auto.

TX.

You'd have to install the Soundaktor, and Soundaktor ECU Module A9 first, before you can access it via VCDS !
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/soundaktor.217729/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/drive-select-question.210684/#post-2092833
I wish there was a hidden code for the MMI that wouldn't require you to VCD the vehicle to unlock it. You know...A,B,A,C,A,B,B, Start. ;)

Plus, I'm certain there's a soundaktor already equipped in the A3 like the S3 that controls the fake engine sound which I wish we (A3 users) could adjust in our Individual drive select like your S3 users. The only way I can activate the hard engine revving sound is if I put the car in Dynamic mode.

But I guess Audi has to save some features to keep the cars different.

Pretty much all the time I'm set to Individual with everything dynamic except for the steering which I have set to comfort, then I have the gearbox set to D, only put into S if I'm in the mood to tear **** about. If on a long motorway journey I might change to Efficiency to save some fuel.

Audi drive select....there's lots of choices.......some people like different settings. ..so I thought if start a new thread....so who like which settings....why ect ect...I have only had my car for 4 weeks so not had much time to try different setting and see how they feel different to each other...

I keep everything auto except for steering where I have it in dynamic.

When I need extra juice for the engine and transmission, I just change the car to sport mode via the gear knob.

I wish there was a hidden code for the MMI that wouldn't require you to VCD the vehicle to unlock it. You know...A,B,A,C,A,B,B, Start. ;)

Plus, I'm certain there's a soundaktor already equipped in the A3 like the S3 that controls the fake engine sound which I wish we (A3 users) could adjust in our Individual drive select like your S3 users. The only way I can activate the hard engine revving sound is if I put the car in Dynamic mode.

But I guess Audi has to save some features to keep the cars different.

I've got a 150 8v. Only started playing around with drive select today. Have been quite happy with auto. When on dynamic apart from steering and throttle response what else changes on this model?

Yes those are all it does for the A3. Unless you were fortunate enough to live in your Europe and did a custom build & added the Magnetic Ride option which would give you the ability to control the suspension damper.

Attachments

• audi-info.JPG
    audi-info.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 920
Yes those are all it does for the A3. Unless you were fortunate enough to live in your Europe and did a custom build & added the Magnetic Ride option which would give you the ability to control the suspension damper.

Ok so does having the throttle response set to dynamic effect the MPG very much?

Last edited:
What does "auto" do exactly? As it suggests, does it change depending on how you drive ?

What does "auto" do exactly? As it suggests, does it change depending on how you drive ?

From what I understand the steering alters form the speed that you're driving. Slow around town it's quite light. But at faster speeds it tights up. But nothing like the level which it does with the dynamic mode. The throttle response is something which I'm still playing with. I've not had much chance to floor it but the car def felt more responsive and more torquey.

Ah right. I will have more of a play with it.
Does anyone know what the settings in individual do for the adaptive cruise. Dynamic auto comfort. The dealer told me it changes the default gap setting but it clearly doesn't as when you first engage it it is always set at distance 3 of 4. Does it change how aggressive it drives on ACC??

From what I understand the steering alters form the speed that you're driving. Slow around town it's quite light. But at faster speeds it tights up. But nothing like the level which it does with the dynamic mode. The throttle response is something which I'm still playing with. I've not had much chance to floor it but the car def felt more responsive and more torquey.

I had an A3 TFSI quattro for 3 years - never fully got to grips with all the MMI/drive select settings. Just swapped it for an S3 sportback, and I have it pretty much worked out, so for anyone who's interested...

For most settings - steering, throttle, shocks (if you've got the viscoelectric option), "Dynamic" means "max" and "Comfort" means "min". "Auto" is generally a mid-range setting; Audi describe it as adapting to your driving style, but not sure how that work if you suddenly wanted to put your foot down after driving sedately.

Shifting into "Sport" mode from "Drive" will change a few things whatever Drive Select option (probably not in Efficiency but haven't tried it) you're in - it puts the ESC into an intermediate mode (as opposed to full-on or full-off, so allowing some slide (Audi also say this helps in ice and snow as it allows limited wheelspin). Also "Sport" mode will hold in gear longer (which probably contradicts the advice to move to this mode to allow limited wheelspin in snow and ice).

Sport" mode appears to kick in the Dynamic option for Engine Noise (i.e. the crackles & pops). For those who aren't sure, it's a valve on the exhaust system, not the VW "sondactor" system and also not like BMW's "my audio system makes the noise so it sounds good inside the car). And in case you think I'm a fan of noisy exhausts (I'm not, I prefer understatement), the Individual option allows the Engine Noise to be set at Comfort or Dynamic, plus an "Auto" option that will switch between the two depending on whether you're in "Drive" or "Sport". However on the last point, on my S3 the with the Engine Noise setting on Comfort it still appears to switch to Dynmic in "Sport" mode. They're looking into it for me...

I use efficiency mode to and from work.(only 6 miles away...lol)
Individual mode when I'm out and about set at dynamic in steering,comfort on suspension and dynamic on engine and gearbox...:friends:

I don't use Efficiency at all but my Individual set up is exactly the same as this ^
But mostly driving in full Dynamic but taking it out of Sport via the gear stick, re-engaging is as required.

I use "auto" most of the time, but am still learning as its my first dsg/auto box - I do a lot of town/short journeys and find it shifts up so early that sometimes the revs slightly surge before the engine seems to pick up speed (hope that's normal!) - when I have a bit of open road I will use the paddles and it then makes a huge difference to acceleration (does not seem to be any surge/delay when accelerating in that mode)

I don't use Efficiency at all but my Individual set up is exactly the same as this ^
But mostly driving in full Dynamic but taking it out of Sport via the gear stick, re-engaging is as required.
Lol..That's going back a bit......I don't think I've used Efficiency mode for quite a while now....I don't like how slow it is in going down in gears when you want to 'give it some'...As for the Individual setting that is still the same....I use this when the missus and my boy aren't in the car.....Auto setting for the rest of the time.:friends:..
Not really fussed on fuel consumption if it needs filling up I just fill it....Simples....lol

I put mine in Dynamic when I picked it up, then pulled the button off and threw it out the window :racer:

Reactions: TeeCee, Mylee, BlueBadger and 4 others
My drive select only adjust the throttle and steering. However once I tried dynamic throttle I was never gonna switch that off. I've left my steering in auto as found dynamic slight too stiff for everyday driving.

Really nice to have this option though.

Normally I'm in dynamic 24/7, but today I'd filled the fuel tank to full and had the rear seats down, I then had a load weighing 150kg spread from the back to the front seats. I flicked it over to comfort whilst I went over a load of speed bumps, it felt like it was gliding over them, but the steering felt all over the place! Once over the bumps I flicked back to dynamic and felt the difference straight away, tbh it felt a better drive with all the weight in the back :)

Just picked my 2015 Audi a3 up do you have to store the settings as every time I set say dynamic to everything dynamic all the other driving modes have gone to the same?

Just picked my 2015 Audi a3 up do you have to store the settings as every time I set say dynamic to everything dynamic all the other driving modes have gone to the same?

Some advice on using drive select. If using dynamic or individual with dynamic features such as throttle mapping. Each time the car is switched on you’ll need to cycle through to dynamic or individual to enable the dynamic features. It’s a safety thing in case somebody else drives your car and gets taken aback with the increased throttle response etc. Of course there are more features on S and RS.

I will add, when you press the DS button it will you last setting will show up, such as dynamic. However you’ll still need to cycle through and back to what you want.

Reactions: philip.levis
Some advice on using drive select. If using dynamic or individual with dynamic features such as throttle mapping. Each time the car is switched on you’ll need to cycle through to dynamic or individual to enable the dynamic features. It’s a safety thing in case somebody else drives your car and gets taken aback with the increased throttle response etc. Of course there are more features on S and RS.

I will add, when you press the DS button it will you last setting will show up, such as dynamic. However you’ll still need to cycle through and back to what you want.
I've heard this is only on the facelift, rather than PFL.

I've heard this is only on the facelift, rather than PFL.

Mines a 2014 and it resets and I have to cycle through the DS button. I thought this was rubbish when I first read it. However as soon as I cycled through and back to individual the throttle response was back to dynamic.

Mines a 2014 and it resets and I have to cycle through the DS button. I thought this was rubbish when I first read it. However as soon as I cycled through and back to individual the throttle response was back to dynamic.
Interesting. I'll have to do this each time with mine then. I do cycle back to dynamic sometimes and notice the sharp throttle difference in relation to the 'Individual' setting with Dynamic on...

Interesting. I'll have to do this each time with mine then. I do cycle back to dynamic sometimes and notice the sharp throttle difference in relation to the 'Individual' setting with Dynamic on...

Thing is before I knew about it I was driving my car around for say 5/6 months thinking that’s my car was set to individual and that was that. I’d totally got accustomed to the throttle being on normal or auto mode. Imagine the look on my face when I pressed the DS button 4 times. Totally tranformed the feel of the car to how it should of been.

Thing is before I knew about it I was driving my car around for say 5/6 months thinking that’s my car was set to individual and that was that. I’d totally got accustomed to the throttle being on normal or auto mode. Imagine the look on my face when I pressed the DS button 4 times. Totally tranformed the feel of the car to how it should of been.
You have an S3 I take it? I do notice a slight difference I have to say... I'll have to do more testing

You have an S3 I take it? I do notice a slight difference I have to say... I'll have to do more testing

Ha ha I wish. I have a 150 TDI stage 1. The throttle response is very noticeable. When it’s not in dynamic it’s like driving a tractor.

Reactions: 4K
Ha ha I wish. I have a 150 TDI stage 1. The throttle response is very noticeable. When it’s not in dynamic it’s like driving a tractor.
Been testing it a few days now on the S3. I think there is a difference, but it's somewhat negligible. I recall asking Audi Master Technicians about this before and they had no clue about it.

Reactions: Audi Bairn