Argh.....dirty car and no wash mitt!

jaypers777

Reaction score
ok, this is a pointless post but this is the weekend and it's relatively quiet on here. My car is filthy and I ordered some nice new wash mitts that should have been here by Thursday. They haven't arrived. Oh well, soft sponge with copious amounts of water it is then. Damn you Amazon!!

That's why I want the mitt. I have a super soft sponge and am very careful, but mitt is the way to go. I'm actually off to a car shop now to buy one......I'll have a spare!!

I have lots of mitts but no car! I spent £200 at polished bliss in December when they had an offer, it's agonising just looking at the stuff.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Cymru09
I bought a new mitt and have left it at work :(

If my car had any more s**t on it, it'd be attracting flies :(

Panic over, but it's just started to rain. Might have to wait until tomorrow to break these babies in........
IMG 03471

Reactions: Brasso and Rob2k68
You want a lambswool wash mitt! They hold huge amounts of water as well

Reactions: Mac74, David83S3, lee_fr200 and 1 other person
I'd just wait til you get a proper mit, I keep those noodle mits for underneath the sils and bumpers only. Dooka pad is what you need ;)

I’m afraid I’m in agreement with the others. I would save those from cleaning the garden furniture and wait for Amazon to deliver!!

Reactions: The Challinor
I use a noodle mitt and two buckets, I have to say I've never noticed any ill effects.

EDIT: The mitt and all my microfibres go through the washing machine after each use.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
Thanks for the recommendations. Will look into that, however, today's story has a happy ending. Microfibre drying towel......where have you been all my life?!

Rain passed. Before and after...........
IMG 03511

IMG 03521

Reactions: AlexA4Avant, DAYTONA 500, Rob2k68 and 4 others
You missed a spot ;) nah it looks good!

Dooka pad for me, and the wheel mitt. Although the carbon collective mitt is excellent.
Autobrite reaper or auto finesse aqua to dry.

Please do not use a sponge, ever.

Nothing wrong with a sponge if used correctly and you use a decent sponge. You can cause just as much damage or marring with a good lambs wool mitt. You always risk marring with any physical contact with the paint surface if you're not careful.

I highly recommend the Dodo Juice Supernatural sponge which holds a lot of water and traps the dirt deeper inside the sponge layers so its not touching the surface, the same priciple of lambwool mitts, but when rinsed the dirt is easy to clear away from the sponge.

I've done 4 washes with the above sponge on my new A3 and there's no visible marring. I think you just have to be careful with any products you use. You'll find a lot of people on detailingworld that will swear by the above sponge. But I know it's not for everyone.

Cleanyourcar.co.uk has 10% off this weekend Valentine10. :)

I can understand as they get a lot of bad press. I wouldn't use any old sponge from the supermarket or Halfords. I did research that one quite heavily before using and tested it on the car I was part exchanging :D

Its all in the prep.
Foam, spray, de-grimer, spray, only then do I use my wool mitt.
The less you are moving over the surface the better.

Microfibre for the wheels.

Reactions: koder
Thanks for the recommendations. Will look into that, however, today's story has a happy ending. Microfibre drying towel......where have you been all my life?!

Rain passed. Before and after...........View attachment 50650
View attachment 50652

Looking at the colour it looks like you had a respray between the two pictures. One looks like Amalfi and the other Glacier. Joking aside (and as a Glacier white owner myself) isn't it satisfying getting your white car sparkling again? Trouble is I live up Devon lanes and as soon as I go out again it looks almost as bad!

Loads of different products here!! I'll have to invest in some of the cleaning mitts...... When I had my Type R I used to use Autoglym High Def Wax. Anyone recommend anything else???

I always use Meguiar's. On the shelf in my garage at present I have NXT shampoo and the three bottle paint correction, polish and wax.

Loads of different products here!! I'll have to invest in some of the cleaning mitts...... When I had my Type R I used to use Autoglym High Def Wax. Anyone recommend anything else???

Swissvax onyx is my favourite atm. Will be trying definitive wax pro edition once it's out and auto finesse illusion.
Hard to choose a wax as it depends on budget and what you want from the wax

Swissvax best of show for me

Reactions: amped2 and naughts4187
I buy the tiny little pots, they do a fair few coats so it isn't actually 'that bad' priced...

Lol - Dunno about it containing ultra pure Brazilian white carnauba, I'd want a Brazilian bikini clad beach babe to apply it for that price!!!
You pay for it and I'll wear the bikini...but it won't be a pretty site lol :D

Swissvax best of show for me
Very nice! Swisswax all the way, if you can afford it :) I'm having Swissvax UK detailing my car when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Should I ask for best of show to be used?

Reactions: amped2 and alijnclarke
I would yes, I love the level of shine it gives. Post some pics up when they've done it, I'm going to take mine over there at some point.. Probably when the weather gets a bit nicer

Reactions: naughts4187
Very nice! Swisswax all the way, if you can afford it :) I'm having Swissvax UK detailing my car when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Should I ask for best of show to be used?

Depends what you want from the wax, best of show will look nice since its a show wax, but won't last as long as say swissvax shield. Probably best to speak to them once your there and choose a wax. Also, ask them to do 2 layers, I find that swissvax responds better to having two coats

Reactions: naughts4187
Depends what you want from the wax, best of show will look nice since its a show wax, but won't last as long as say swissvax shield. Probably best to speak to them once your there and choose a wax. Also, ask them to do 2 layers, I find that swissvax responds better to having two coats

Ah thank you, explains a lot.
They did my dads 911 last year and the finish didn't last long, ended up using Zymol Glasur to keep layering. I've got Blackfire carnuba ready to layer with so will let you know how I get on. Cheers