Anyone on here had a diff reconditioned on a tqs?

fullpower

Reaction score
Im after a rough price on getting one reconned, had bit of leak now you can here a bit of a drone when sitting in the back of the car now with it moving ,took me a wile notice as you dont often sit in the back of your own car when its moving.

are you sure its not a rear wheel bearing?
I thought I had a drone off my diff and had checked all my bearings but turned out I had a noisy bearing eeven though there was no play in it or roughness when spun

Reactions: fullpower
Maybe,like you say there is no play in either wheel or anything like that i'l have another listen

yea I had no play. it even went through its MOT with it. you only got a drone off it after about 25mph.
I bought a replacement diff for my car I was that convinced it was the diff then over the time it got worse.
turned out it was the wheel bearing

Agree with the fact it could still be a bearing. I had one fail on my Avant Quattro and the garage that fitted the new one bodged it. The rear drone came back within a month. Fit FAG or similar and do both. Rear diff take just under 2 litres of gear oil. Try draining and refilling. Could just be rear diff seals need replaced?

As said check your bearings, my S4 had a loud howl noise from the back and I thought it was the diff as it had run low on oil, but like others there was no play in the bearings. When I investigated further it was the passenger side bearing, it was so obvious when I took the brakes off and spun the bearing by hand. Get on to www.allgermanparts.co.uk they do FAG rear bearings for about £26.

PS : if it is your rear diff then I have a spare one.