Anti Clockwise arrow with exclamation mark keeps coming on

nlldavies

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what the following dash light might mean please?

It's a yellow anti clockwise arrow with a triangle and an exclamation mark in the centre.

It first appeared about 2 months ago and has only shown itself another 2 times up until the beginning of this week. It now comes on almost every trip after about 20 minutes of driving.

The lamp resets after the the engine is switched off and back on. No noticeable change in anything when the lamp appears.

The car is a 2002 A4 Avant 1.9TDi

Any ideas?

I think thats the esp light (traction control) although it's normally a button you can turn on and off located on the dash above the radio

does it stay on or just blink when your hammering it round corners or away from junctions?

I think your right, I'm sure it's the light that comes on when you hit the switch on the dash.

I always leave it switched on so it has not come on because I've disabled it.

The only thing I can think that happened at the same time the lamp started appearing is that I changed tyres on the front to a softer compound.....surely that can't upset it!

I had agro with my ESP 3 times in my A3, all down to the steering wheel angle sensor.

First time it happened I'd just had new tyres fitted, turned out that the garage had beaten the hell out of one of the alloys (s it would not come off) and sent the wheels out of alignment, making the steering wheel slightly off center.

Audi identified the ESP problem as the angle sensor faulty, so did sensor and 4 wheel alignment at the same time, problem cured.

It did however come back twice over 70,000 miles.

Kev.

I had a similar problem with my A3, esp warning light came on, Audi told me it was a problem with the onboard computer and needed a new dash.

thank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif it was under warranty

might be worth getting it checked by someone with a vag cable before you take it to the stealers?

This came on, on left handers only above 70 mph, now ,being a diesel I didnt think I was spinning the wheels at that speed ! Turns out the steering rack ( and pump ) were on the way out, 1 week later, horrible graunching noise from rack and pump on full lock ( VERY loud ) New bits fitted by Audi ( under warranty ) no traction control light any more, strange but true !

Finally got this sorted.

Took the wheels off to change front pads and found both sensor wires were cut, looked like the wires were under stress as I can not see how the cable was long enough to reach the sensor in the pad. Had the brake warning light on for a while but thought this due to low pad more than damaged wires.

Had no warning light since fitting new pads.

Thanks to all for help.

Update. this continued after a short pause. The final source of the problem was due to a sticking brake pedal that would not fully return to release the brake lamp switch, this left the brake lamps on for long periods which the ESP system thought was wrong.

No problems since sorting out pedal