Another Egr Post - Sorry! Cleaner/maf Query

J1 MBO

Reaction score
I know EGR is a common subject on here but I am a relative newbie on the forums and could't find any answers. I'm also a novice mechanic when it comes to these complicated engines!

I have a 2008 2.0tdi 170 engine in my avant Special Edition. Have hesitation at 1800rpm that has gradually got worse over the last 12 months. Have considered stopping the EGR off and cleaning but think people have mixed results on solving the hesitation so thought I'd try the Wynns EGR cleaner to see if it made a difference before complete strip down and clean - my issue now is where to introduce the cleaner without damaging the MAF as I have no idea where this is - an embarrassing state of knowledge and severe loss of man points!!

Any pointers would be appreciated!

If its hesitating at around 1800rpm its quite likely to be the vacuum unit on the inlet manifold. They have a diaphragm inside which splits causing these symptoms. Cheap enough part , about £10, if you can fit yourself

Reactions: J1 MBO
If its hesitating at around 1800rpm its quite likely to be the vacuum unit on the inlet manifold. They have a diaphragm inside which splits causing these symptoms. Cheap enough part , about £10, if you can fit yourself
Thanks, if its easy enough, I'll replace it?!?
Used the EGR cleaner today and seems to have got rid of the hesitation, but not sure for how long!! Have now bought the seal kit so will strip it down and clean it properly so its totally ruled out!

This pic shows what it looks like, if you have a plastic inlet manifold then you won't have this part fitted anyway.

To fit a new one you need to remove the egr valve , there is a detailed thread on here somewhere showing how to do it, then remove the inlet manifold, about 9 bolts that all came out easy on mine.
You can then see how the new part fits on to the manifold.
If I can do it anyone can :)

Attachments

• vac.jpg
    vac.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 675
Ok, will see if I can make out where that pic is of once I strip it down a little! Seems the effect of the EGR cleaner lasted for 1 drive!!! Back to stripping it off and cleaning - think I'll give that a go this afternoon seeing as I have the seals and will look to see if I have a vac pump fitted and put that next on the list if cleaning the EGR doesn't clear the issue!
Thanks guys!

When you take the plastic cover off the top of the engine the vac unit is on the top of the engine near the front just to the left.

Managed to locate the vac unit, and initially thought it looked like the manifold didn't need to come off, but can see now that it does!

I tinkered a little on Sunday night but was conscious of daylight dwindling so didn't get as far as stripping the EGR. Removed the throttle body (ASV) and gave it a good clean. Will have to strip it again when I have more time - I have the seals/gaskets (£17) ready for the EGR and pick up the manifold gasket (£3) and vac unit (£13) from the 'stealers' tomorrow so will just do it all in one go!

Have some photos, will post later!

Thanks for the input this far!

Will be watching this thread with interest as I have the same issue and am looking at doing the same things as you to try and solve it only I don't have much knowledge on it all.

Will be watching this thread with interest as I have the same issue and am looking at doing the same things as you to try and solve it only I don't have much knowledge on it all.
Neither did I!! Have had this issue very gradually getting worse over 18 months of ownership. I had the Air Mass Meter replaced by my garage at a cost to the warranty of 200 odd quid... and it made no difference! I didn't want to throw money at the garage for them to guess by replacement, and they confirmed it wasn't really harming the car and there were no fault codes. Anyway, didn't feel confident enough in my ability and knowledge so have gradually got my head around it enough in order to have a go!

Will be this weekend at the earliest before I have a go and will get plenty of photos!

PS I wouldn't bother with the spray in EGR cleaner!!

I removed the maf earlier this evening as id spoken to a local mechanic who said it was probably dirty and needs cleaning but it was squeaky clean! Rules that out for me.
PS I wouldn't bother with the spray in EGR cleaner!!

What would you recommend to clean the egr?

And by the way, the pic of the vac pump up above is at the front left of the engine, if you look left of where the egr meets the inlet manifold. I was looking at this with the mechanic today after reading this thread earlier.

I removed the maf earlier this evening as id spoken to a local mechanic who said it was probably dirty and needs cleaning but it was squeaky clean! Rules that out for me.

What would you recommend to clean the egr?

I used Carb cleaner on the throttle body/ASV, seemed pretty effective! What I was referring to was the 'EGR Cleaner' that Wynns make (stocked by Halfords), which you spray into the air intake while the engine is running, but of a quick fix in a can.... turned out to be a very short lived quick fix and not worth the tenner investment!

While I think to post it, after ages looking for a decent video on YouTube on the EGR subject that showed my particular engine that I could relate to, I stumbled on this a couple of fays ago... perfect (if you ignore that it's an A6 and not an A4!!)!

I used Carb cleaner on the throttle body/ASV, seemed pretty effective! What I was referring to was the 'EGR Cleaner' that Wynns make (stocked by Halfords), which you spray into the air intake while the engine is running, but of a quick fix in a can.... turned out to be a very short lived quick fix and not worth the tenner investment!

Oh right I see, I won't be using them anyway. Never really trusted the quick fix in a bottle approach. And thanks for posting that video, makes it look really easy, will be attempting this in the next couple of weeks. Going to recheck the maf also as someone told me it won't nessecarily look dirty but little wires inside may be a little dirty and causing the issue.

Oh right I see, I won't be using them anyway. Never really trusted the quick fix in a bottle approach. And thanks for posting that video, makes it look really easy, will be attempting this in the next couple of weeks. Going to recheck the maf also as someone told me it won't nessecarily look dirty but little wires inside may be a little dirty and causing the issue.

Your welcome - it certainly gave me that added bit of knowledge/confidence i needed to have a crack myself!!

With respect to the MAF, there are plenty of videos on youtube all saying that it doesn't take much for the MAF to start throwing incorrect signals to the ECU resulting in odd fuel mixtures being sent through and possibly causing hesitation... this is obviously what my garage thought to only it had no effect!

Will attempt to find time to sort the EGR proper this weekend so should be able to feed back before you're attempt - will try and give a detailed account!

Soooo, think i have everything now to attempt the following:

Restrip the ASV/Throttle Body
Remove the EGR
Clean EGR
Remove Air Manifold
Clean Manifold
Replace Vac Unit

Parts I have:
EGR pipe gasket - V069 131 547 D (A03E07 Gasket)
EGR gasket - V03G 131 547 F (A06E03 Gasket)
EGR-ASV Seal - V03L 131 547 B (A03E03 105484/Seal)
VAC Unit - V03G 129 061 C
Air Manifold Gasket - V03G 129 717 D
Carb Cleaner
Plenty of 'blu-roll'
and hopefully find my box of latex gloves!

Soooo, think i have everything now to attempt the following:

Restrip the ASV/Throttle Body
Remove the EGR
Clean EGR
Remove Air Manifold
Clean Manifold
Replace Vac Unit

Parts I have:
EGR pipe gasket - V069 131 547 D (A03E07 Gasket)
EGR gasket - V03G 131 547 F (A06E03 Gasket)
EGR-ASV Seal - V03L 131 547 B (A03E03 105484/Seal)
VAC Unit - V03G 129 061 C
Air Manifold Gasket - V03G 129 717 D
Carb Cleaner
Plenty of 'blu-roll'
and hopefully find my box of latex gloves!

Funnily enough a guy at work said the same thing to me today about the maf so thinking I may as well give it a clean when I do the egr/inlet manifold/throttle body clean. Do you know if carb cleaner will be ok to use on the maf? And a detailed account of the job you're doing would be very much appreciated mate. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for all the parts above? I will also be looking at replacing the vac unit as the way I see it is you might as well while everything else is out the way.

Re: MAF cleaning - I wouldn't use carb cleaner. You need either some isopropyl alcohol (put in a plastic bag with MAF and slush it around), or an electrical contact cleaner spray (the type used on circuit boards that doesn't damage plastics).

I recall having to do this on a Mk4 Golf 130PD. The MAF may not look dirty but it doesn't take much to contaminate the sensitive wire inside and throw a dodgy reading to the ECU.

Re: MAF cleaning - I wouldn't use carb cleaner. You need either some isopropyl alcohol (put in a plastic bag with MAF and slush it around), or an electrical contact cleaner spray (the type used on circuit boards that doesn't damage plastics).

I recall having to do this on a Mk4 Golf 130PD. The MAF may not look dirty but it doesn't take much to contaminate the sensitive wire inside and throw a dodgy reading to the ECU.

Ok will get the isopropyl and do as you've said, thanks for the info mate.

Just google isopropyl and maf cleaning and you'll find loads of info on VW forums etc. It pays to keep it clean as its a sensitive little sucker. I think it was a K&N filter that messed up the MAF on my Golf.

With respect to the MAF sensor, when I searched YouTube this video was helpful and was a laugh too...

Prices of parts... next to nothing, and from a main stealer too(!):
EGR pipe gasket - V069 131 547 D (A03E07 Gasket) £2.87+VAT
EGR gasket - V03G 131 547 F (A06E03 Gasket) £2.62+VAT
EGR-ASV Seal - V03L 131 547 B (A03E03 105484/Seal) £9.13+VAT
VAC Unit - V03G 129 061 C £10.89+VAT
Air Manifold Gasket - V03G 129 717 D £3.43+VAT

£34.72 Total inc VAT!

Just google isopropyl and maf cleaning and you'll find loads of info on VW forums etc. It pays to keep it clean as its a sensitive little sucker. I think it was a K&N filter that messed up the MAF on my Golf.

Going to check this out in the morning, nice one. I was going to put a K&N on mine but read a lot if things saying it could mess up the maf so didn't bother.

With respect to the MAF sensor, when I searched YouTube this video was helpful and was a laugh too...

Prices of parts... next to nothing, and from a main stealer too(!):
EGR pipe gasket - V069 131 547 D (A03E07 Gasket) £2.87+VAT
EGR gasket - V03G 131 547 F (A06E03 Gasket) £2.62+VAT
EGR-ASV Seal - V03L 131 547 B (A03E03 105484/Seal) £9.13+VAT
VAC Unit - V03G 129 061 C £10.89+VAT
Air Manifold Gasket - V03G 129 717 D £3.43+VAT

£34.72 Total inc VAT!

Haha he's a funny guy, very informative though. Thanks for price and part no. List, at least it's not a pricey job eh..

Seems you might have been right on the money... will give a detailed account properly later with pics, but, in summary, worked on the car today, just took for a test drive after putting it all back together again... time will tell but it seems to have sorted the issue - the EGR wasn't too dirty, it still operated, but the vac unit diaphragm was split when I took the old one apart!!!

Reactions: BaileyA3
Seems you might have been right on the money... will give a detailed account properly later with pics, but, in summary, worked on the car today, just took for a test drive after putting it all back together again... time will tell but it seems to have sorted the issue - the EGR wasn't too dirty, it still operated, but the vac unit diaphragm was split when I took the old one apart!!!
Good news