Annoying wipers.

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
Can someone help, I have the world's most annoying wipers. On the up stroke they make that squeaky grinding sound (like when you rub your finger on a wet mirror). I have genuine aero wipers on that are a year old, I use screen wash in the correct quantities, keep the windscreen clean (slightly OCD about that), the windscreen is 3months old and I have thoroughly taken apart and re-greased my wiper mechanism in June.

It's doing my head in and I'm out of ideas? Should I bend the arms one way or the other by a few mm? Or is it new blades time?

Any ideas chaps?

Has the screen be degreased? Some people clay them to get them clean.

Lol I'm not sure how you'd go about claying them!

A wipe with a cloth with some spirit on should do it.

I think I found what it was. It was the drivers side wiper making the noise. When I took it off to put white spirit on it, there's a little bit of plastic on the end of the stalk that's designed to swivel and let the wiper blade move +/- a few degrees as it wipes. It was all gunked up and I could barely move it. After a few seconds of wiggling pressure, I managed to get it free - gave it a good clean (with an old electric toothbrush head), greased it and... silent wipers!