Android Auto Info

Minion Bob!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Know we've had a few discussions on here about Android Auto and how it would possibly interact in an Audi. We've also seen some previous development models but yesterday Audi was at the annual Google I/O conference and showed this production version off on a Q7 along with confirmation of what features are supported.

Good write up by CNet:
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/audi-p...st-for-touchscreens-pictures/#ftag=CADf328eec

Hopefully something that will be in the next version of the A3.

Reactions: Simon L
So it seems there will be two screens to look at. The touch screen and the pop-up screen. Surely it could all be incorporated in to one screen.

Good find Izzy :)

As an android user I'm definitely up for some of that ;)

Reactions: Blackwhite and Minion Bob!
Love that new mmi controller.... And at @h5djr what do you mean by two screens

Good find Izzy :)

As an android user I'm definitely up for some of that ;)
Same here mate! Ah havnt even got the first A3 and I'm already putting the options list of my next A3 together... This is bad...

Reactions: Blackwhite and Simon L
Love that new mmi controller.... And at @h5djr what do you mean by two screens
Perhaps one of them would be better described as a large touch pad rather that a screen. Personally I don't like using the touch pad on a laptop and with this one it would have to be used left-handed with a UK car.

If you go to the Audi UK website you can download the brochure for the new Q7 with even more pictures of what Audi describe as the "extra large MMI touchpad". It also shows that the new Q7 has the same navigation and instruments set-up as the TT.

You make a very good point about using that touch pad with the left hand... Going to be awkward for the majority of right handed people... Then again the human body can adapt who knows maybe we'll all become ambidextrous:footy:... Btw for those that have tech pack currently do you find you use your right hand to draw characters or has this not been a problem as the system is quite good and recognising the basic shape of the letter however badly drawn by a left finger (of a right handed individual)

This post seems to have become way to complicated:fearscream:

I've got used to using the touch pad with my left hand now, and did quite quickly. It really isn't a problem! I'm much better than I am sitting in the passengers seat trying to use my right hand!

I thought it had already been confirmed that Android Auto or Carplay won't be coming to this A3 model, and it'll have to wait for the replacement A3 to get it. Shame really.

I've got used to using the touch pad with my left hand now, and did quite quickly. It really isn't a problem! I'm much better than I am sitting in the passengers seat trying to use my right hand!

I thought it had already been confirmed that Android Auto or Carplay won't be coming to this A3 model, and it'll have to wait for the replacement A3 to get it. Shame really.
Yup that's correct not coming to this model just thought it would be interesting to share :)

I suspect that there will be 3rd party units available that can add the functionality at some point - just as there is one that adds an android tablet to the MMI (though touch screen which is horrible).

I'm very very glad that Audi are continuing not to go down the touch screen route too! Touch pad is fine with me - you can easily use that without looking at it.

Thats true, even BMW have caved, they're going touch screen in the next year or so.