Airbag redwarning light?

Molnboman

Reaction score
New to this one.....airbag warning has come up in red on the dash. The hasn't happened before for me and my Mrs is driving the car right now....so not sure what the craic is. Car is running as normal and she insists she hasn't hit anything. Is the car safe to drive until I get it checked out? Any advice would be well received.

Please advise,

BR
A

Sometimes, the airbag light can be triggered by the front seat adjuster being moved. I have a vague memory of this happening on one of my B5s about ten years ago. I seem to recall a VCDS reset doing the trick. Until it is cleared, I have a feeling the airbag circuit will be inactive.

So defintely get it looked at.

Thanks J, so is it safe to drive in your humble opinion...ie: there's not a chance it's going to explode on her nice winter clothes...God forbid!...I won't you hold you to this natch....just that I can't get the car to the garage till am back in IKEA land.

Best Wishes,
Allan

Thanks J, so is it safe to drive in your humble opinion...ie: there's not a chance it's going to explode on her nice winter clothes...God forbid!...I won't you hold you to this natch....just that I can't get the car to the garage till am back in IKEA land.

Best Wishes,
Allan

As I said, if the warning light is on, the airbags become inactive, so no it isn't going to go off in her face (but not even if she crashes and needs it to, though).

Sometimes, the airbag light can be triggered by the front seat adjuster being moved. I have a vague memory of this happening on one of my B5s about ten years ago. I seem to recall a VCDS reset doing the trick. Until it is cleared, I have a feeling the airbag circuit will be inactive.

So defintely get it looked at.

Your memory is good!
I used to experience the same issue on my 1998 A4.

Everyone is correct, the Red light highlights a fault and the bags are deactivated. The light is red to warn you they won't go off in the event of an accident.

Another issue will be the MOT, with the light on it will fail a UK MOT and other safety tests across Europe if you are outside of the UK. I notice you are in Sweden, I would assume the its a failure there is the Swedish legislation is far stricter than the UK from memory (they gave us DRL's).

The bottom line is that its in an unsafe state so should be dealt with.

Cheers Geoff, no worries I am aware that it would fail an MOT natch ( Thankfully mine sailed it in September )....just wanted to make sure that the car would safe to drive, until I get it over to the garage....hopefully the lads can scan it today if they are working that is.....It is Swedenshire! Keep you all posted on the outcome.

Cheers
A

Hooked it up to get a code reading this morning at the local garage. Codes came up on the passenger side....they didnae have time to check it further. Have to wait till am back on the 16th before they can check it out proper. Might check the passenger seat cable underneath myself....but found it tricky to remover the cover....guess it your driver's side. Keep you posted.

BR
Allan

pull plug clean up refit and clear light
if not sorted theres a guide how to sort it
by cuting plug off and rejoining with a audi repair wire
very comon and iv personaly done over 10 to b6 and b7

pull plug clean up refit and clear light
if not sorted theres a guide how to sort it
by cuting plug off and rejoining with a audi repair wire
very comon and iv personaly done over 10 to b6 and b7

Cheers Bez...aye, I saw the fix and it freaked me out a bit! hahaha I try the clean up first...and rock on from there!

BR
A