Airbag light after removing oem seats

MICHAEL PARKER

S3 Sportback
Reaction score
ok my Recaro pole position seats are now in the car but obviously have no airbags in them , i have just left the wiring plug in the car but its not connected to anything now , recaro supplied several fittings to attach to the connector that is left but not one fits my car , do i need to do anything with the connectors so that the car still thinks i have the airbags or will i get a light on the dash if i do nothing ? Recaro say in the instructions that the airbags have to be sorted by a professional which i can appreciate , if anyone can help i would be very grateful .

Just to add Recaro supplied me with this kit but not one of the bits fits my oem yellow airbag connection

Another concern I have is , will the seatbelt not on bong thing keep going off as the cable on the drivers side seatbelt is now not connected to the cars loom ?

You can code out the seat belt bong for example BUT I don't know how you will go on.

I'd have said that you can either code out the seat sensors on VCDS but that will most likely disable the airbag
I don't know how to do this a it's something I've not gone into but you'd be better trying to see what the seat resistance is through the connector and atleast trick the airbag ecu with a resistance value which means that the seats are always occupied rather than not occupied so that the airbags go off rather than not doing!

You could ask one of the retrofitters or NHN for example as they will have done more on VCDS than us mere mortals!

Yeah that's like using the key in the glovebox - It could be that you can just set it without the seat occupancy sensors by coding it to not have seat occupancy sensors on the airbag ecu - you might be better starting a thread of PM'ing ash at retrofits or NHN

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER
just to add , why the hell do recaro put this is the box when they know my car is an s3 and i purchased there crazy expensive subframe kit ?
It'll just be their generic fitting kit, you could probably buy the actual connectors from VW

Hi Michael,
By coincidence I've been looking at this myself today.
My seat airbags have been disabled through VCDS as above - adaption for channels 3 & 4 set to 1.
I don't have a MIL or any other warnings apart from when scanning the airbag module (15) and this just says that the 2 airbags are disabled.
I'm looking to get a couple of resistors like you've found above, and installing them and re-enabling my airbags through VCDS. This will get rid of the messages when I scan the airbag module (hopefully)..
Hope this helps...
Oh - I've got an 07 RS4 not S3 but should be similar...

Thanks
Mike

Yeah that's like using the key in the glovebox - It could be that you can just set it without the seat occupancy sensors by coding it to not have seat occupancy sensors on the airbag ecu - you might be better starting a thread of PM'ing ash at retrofits or NHN
Thanks buddy , i will pm him tomorrow as its a sunday evening .

Hi Michael,
By coincidence I've been looking at this myself today.
My seat airbags have been disabled through VCDS as above - adaption for channels 3 & 4 set to 1.
I don't have a MIL or any other warnings apart from when scanning the airbag module (15) and this just says that the 2 airbags are disabled.
I'm looking to get a couple of resistors like you've found above, and installing them and re-enabling my airbags through VCDS. This will get rid of the messages when I scan the airbag module (hopefully)..
Hope this helps...
Oh - I've got an 07 RS4 not S3 but should be similar...

Thanks
Mike
Ah ok buddy , i have not driven the car yet but allsorts of lights stayed on the dash when i started it after disconnecting the battery , including warning esp fault refer to owners manual , i assume these will disappear when i actually drive it , the red airbag light was one of them .

yep - i had a flat battery a few weeks ago - had many codes thrown after a scan that needed clearing...
is the connector you need a round shape? like the attached?
Thanks

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 966
I also dropped a dam bolt in the hole in the floor on the passenger side and cant get to it which is going to drive me nuts if its rolling around , not sure how the hell i am going to be able to remove it unless the floor will lower down under the wiring harness floor holes .

Reactions: grainqey
Have you got one of those little magnets on a telescopic stick thing?

ah right - ok...
I'm planning on picking up a couple of connectors to plug into the cars harness - mine are round though..
I've had a quick look on etka and it appears that the connectors for your S3 are part no. 4E0972576
From what I can gather, there'll be about a fiver each from the stealers. I'll probably get a couple and just push a resistor in each (like the ones you posted above).
The resistor should go between the green and white wires (brown is earth).

Have you tried a magnet on the end of a coat hanger or similar for your dropped bolt?

ah right - ok...
I'm planning on picking up a couple of connectors to plug into the cars harness - mine are round though..
I've had a quick look on etka and it appears that the connectors for your S3 are part no. 4E0972576
From what I can gather, there'll be about a fiver each from the stealers. I'll probably get a couple and just push a resistor in each (like the ones you posted above).

Have you tried a magnet on the end of a coat hanger or similar for your dropped bolt?
ah right - ok...

I am wondering if i can just fit the resistors straight in the connector without buying any other connectors ?

I dont see why not tbh - looks a bit tight to get a soldering iron in there to do the job properly tho...
that would be my only concern...
I suppose with a proper connector, it'd be easier to remove as well at a later date if needed.

Reactions: grainqey and MICHAEL PARKER
I dont see why not tbh - looks a bit tight to get a soldering iron in there to do the job properly tho...
I suppose with a proper connector, it'd be easier to remove as well at a later date if needed.
very true

in short yes but you need to get one with a value that is approx. the value of the seat when its occupied

parts request opened

Reactions: mikep99
Just bought this to hopefully get to the dropped bolt , kind if depends on how big the hole in the floor is though lol

that should do it!
gonna scan the airbag module again tomorrow with them enabled just to make sure there's no other potential stumbling blocks with the approach above :)
ta
Mike

that should do it!
gonna scan the airbag module again tomorrow with them enabled just to make sure there's no other potential stumbling blocks with the approach above :)
ta
Mike
let me know how you get on buddy .

Btw this is why I have the issue , worth the hassle

Reactions: jimojameso and mikep99
will do...
yep - it's definitely worth the hassle - theres no sliding out of them in the bends :)

Reactions: grainqey and MICHAEL PARKER
ok, so I scanned the airbag module again after enabling the seat airbags and got this:

2 Faults Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

which is what I'd expect...
I've got some resistors coming so will do a temporary job with them to see if the errors disappear.
If all good, I'll get the proper connectors from the dealers and do it properly.

ta
Mike

I have just gone out in my car , I have the airbag light on the dash in red but that's it , no seatbelt not in bong so that's good , I have got the resistors ordered and Mike on here is going to send me the connectors once I pay him , I guess I will just need the airbag light turning off once all is connected .

the airbag light should go out once the resistors are connected :)

I need to double check which wires the resistor should go across so please don't take me previous post as gospel.
Anyone with any advice please?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Did you get any istructions at all with the resistors Recaro sent you?

"Just don't use the brown as its a ground wire ."

yep - agreed after doing a bit of digging....

finally got round to doing this and it seems to have worked.
it took a few attempts to make sure there was a good connection between the resistors in the connectors and the feed from the loom in the car but got there in the end...

ignore the blue resistor - wrong one...

IMG 20160928 143059 IMG 20160928 144416 IMG 20160928 144725

ta
Mike