Aftermarket air filters

If you run an oil based filter it coats the MAF in the oil thus damaging the sensor, ive been toying with the AEM dry flow filter as theres no need to oil them, but i run the k&n 57i kit at the minute with no issues and i never oiled it neither.

all you really gain is more audible induction/spool noise from the turbo !!

I run a standard K&N panel filter. Never had an issue with the MAF (touch wood). I clean the filter with the detergent spray (let it soak for 30 mins), then rinse with warm water, then let it dry thoroughly. Filter only needs a very light mist with the oil spray before reinstalling. Saved a fortune not having to buy disposable air filters.

Hi,
Oilled performance filters, only contaminate the MAF if they are not maintained properly, over oiled and/or oiled on the wrong side of the filter, I have used K&Ns and BMC filters for well over 200k miles now on my Audi, and my Mercs with only one MAF issue this occurred within a few hundred miles of fitting the filter, replaced it and have had no reoccurrence that was over 100k miles ago now.
Regarding performance economy improvements, C230K improved the MPG slightly, performance negligible, C43 AMG (55 AMG Engine fitted) no discernible economy improvement, performance it did seem to make an improvement but not sure whether this is just a placebo effect, as the filters give it a real throaty induction noise through the twin cold air intakes. My Audi 3.0TDI Cab, I have noticed neither performance or economy improvement.
I only fitted the filters in the first place to eliminate the expense of OEM filter replacement, the AMG filters for example are £117 to replace as opposed to £60 once only for the K&Ns.

Hi,
Oilled performance filters, only contaminate the MAF if they are not maintained properly, over oiled and/or oiled on the wrong side of the filter, I have used K&Ns and BMC filters for well over 200k miles now on my Audi, and my Mercs with only one MAF issue this occurred within a few hundred miles of fitting the filter, replaced it and have had no reoccurrence that was over 100k miles ago now.
Regarding performance economy improvements, C230K improved the MPG slightly, performance negligible, C43 (55 Engine fitted) no discernible economy improvement, performance it did seem to make an improvement but not sure whether this is just a placebo effect, as the filters give it a real throaty induction noise through the twin cold air intakes. My Audi 3.0TDI Cab, I have noticed neither performance or economy improvement.

I'm sticking with OEM paper filters, you don't need to pi$$ around with buying cleaner & oil (wondering if you have put to much or to little on on the filter), waiting around for the filter to dry & oiling it before putting the car back together! All Audi's RS range run paper filters if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me.

I've run K&N air filters on every car I've owned without ever having a problem. I did replace my MAF a few thousand miles ago but the fault turned out not to be the MAF. I am cautious on my A4 as I no fouling the MAF can ruin it so give it the odd squirt with electrical contact cleaner. Done about 70k miles since fitting the filter on it.

I just dont see the point.

The stock paper filter flows 380hp perfectly happily on an RS4, so why make the engine bay look **** with some skanked in cone filter, plus run the risk of MAF damage and worse air filtration.

It seems to be something that every young guy with a modified car does, they dive in and stick a stupid airfilter, stupid dumpvalve, and a rediculous exhaust on, and pronounce the car is now better. Then i drive past them with my standard airfilter, standard exhaust, and standard dumpvalve, because i spent the money on tyres instead.

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique and RACK
don't hold back Kev, just say what you really think....

Reactions: AlexA4Avant and ScottD3
lol, i didnt mean it as a dig, its just a pointless modification IMO.

There are no positives of fitting one, it achieves only negatives, and is a complete waste of money.

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique
Hahhahah can't believe it... there is a K&N ad at the bottom of this thread!!!