after market CD changers

paul_brad

Reaction score
I've got a W reg A3 1.8T that the previous owner had the 6 CD Changer installed. They've taken this out, but I would like to install a new one...

I've seen Sony/Alpine etc advertised on websites that will work with my original Concert radio, but they have to use their own leads? Is there one I can buy that would simply use the plug already there in my boot? My dad has a W reg A4, and he's installed one no problems using the leads already there. I don't want to really crowbar off my radio and run wires down the car!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. (To spend no more than £200 also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Morning ... I am sure that you will get a more specific response than this but I am pretty sure that a "converted" can be purchased if the existing cable doesnt fit directly to the new unit.

There is some possibility you could import an original from the US. I believe they run at just over $300 which at todays exchange rate is a bargain, dealers usually have them in stock and the part no is the same as UK.

I've been investigating this since my post, and alot of places distinguish between pre 2000 and post 2000 with BUS lead either there or not...now....my is a 2000 car! does it refer to pre and post facelift? mine is pre & W reg (was it X reg onwards perhaps?)

The one mentioned at fountain.co.uk looks good... but a wee bit expensive for me. The one they say will fit straight in is a Panasonic one. would this be different from the standard one (e.g, they sell it here for £199): http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=18986.

Ahh, such complications /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The changer is the same regardless of year, just later models didn't have the lead installed.
The Panasonic DP9060 and 9061 work with the existing lead, but you need to buy an adapter (about £25) as the plug is different. There are plenty on ebay, as well as OEM changers which go for around £125, and don't need the adapter.

As the previous owner removed the autochanger you should have a fish round in the boot space to see if they took the cable out as well.