1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advance key - easy theft

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Twizzler, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

[Aug 13, 2014]
    Owners of keyless cars may not wish to read the full page article on page 22 of yesterday's Daily Mail. The cost of the kit to steal the car is around £20 for the blank fob and little box of plug in electronics. Available, as always, from your friendly internet suppliers and certain locksmiths. I didn't specify this system for the very reason that it removes the added protection of the mechanical operation of a key. Three things I would recommend: Make sure your car really is locked when you exit it - if someone nearby has designs on it the car may not lock when you think it has. Buy the best steering wheel lock that fits and use it. Garage your car at your home at night and if not then park it out of sight if at all possible.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. The Challinor

The Challinor Well-Known Member

[Aug 13, 2014]
    Yer I read that, if true very worrying!
  4. steeve

steeve Active Member

5. monopole

monopole pro-monopole-ish-ism-istic

[Aug 16, 2014]
    Meh. If they want your car, keyless or not, if prepared, they're gonna get it.
  6. Leeber

Leeber Active Member

[Aug 16, 2014]
    It's the Daily Mail ffs! If you believe everything you read in that modern-day mein Kampf you'd end up thinking that there's a bogus asylum seeker on every street corner waiting to rape your children. As monopole says, if someone wants your car, they'll get it one way or another.
    cemerson likes this.
  7. steeve

steeve Active Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    2000 cars stolen in London in July alone, Met police figures not Daily Mail. Largest increase for several years. Mostly modern cars too.
  8. MatthijsR

MatthijsR Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    My dad has an Evoque and last service (last week) he got a security software update which makes it a lot harder to "hack" the car.
    Bet other brands have this aswell or will follow soon.
  9. Leeber

Leeber Active Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    Sure, and it really sucks to be one of those victims, I don't mean to play down what a horrible experience it must be to have your pride and joy nicked. But to put those numbers into perspective, there are something like 2.6m cars registered in London. It's going to be where the most car crime happens (along with every other major urban area) and there are so many factors that determine whether or not it's your car that gets targeted.

If you're worried about it then sure, do some research, talk about it with like-minded people on forums such as this and hopefully get it into some sort of objective perspective where you can make up your own mind. Don't let the ill-informed writings of a DM hack worry you or spoil your enjoyment of your awesome car though. Whipping people up into a frenzy is how they earn their money!

Admittedly, I haven't read the piece so this is just my (extremely prejudiced, ill-informed) opinion but I suspect that if keyless entry systems really do present a significant security risk then insurance providers will start to pressure the automotive industry to take steps to mitigate it or at the very least ramp up the premiums for cars that do have them spec'd.
    ColMariner likes this.
  10. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    That's what insurance is for after all.

and it's 'Advanced' key, not 'Advance' key... the latter doesn't make sense!
  11. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[Aug 17, 2014]
    The problem is that EU Directives have forced the manufacturers to share the security information with third party suppliers (so that you can get a spare key form Joe Bloggs Garage down the road) - thus once this information is in the public domain .......
  12. veeeight

[Aug 17, 2014]
    Do you have a Push-Button start Car?!
    Posted April 24, 2014

The police are reporting a massive increase in electronic car theft, particularly of high spec German cars and most commonly of those with a button start.

On the 8th June 2011, an EC Directive was issued that effectively made every car with a button start easier to steal.

The European Commission Regulation (EU) No 566/2011 compels all manufacturers to release security information to independent garages so they can work on any car unimpeded.

Virtually anyone with a laptop could access this information. Criminals can easily purchase a handheld OBDII reader online to download the security information from the ECU and start the car’s engine. Without a steering wheel lock or an electronic steering wheel lock, the car can then simply be driven away.

Trackers help, but not that much because the cars are quickly ‘containerised’ or dismantled for parts.

The police advise that the best way to combat this is with your own steering wheel clamp or with a modern interpretation of a ‘Krooklock’.
  13. veeeight

[Aug 17, 2014]
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. MatthijsR

MatthijsR Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Lets just say im glad I'm too poor for a start-button :thumbs up:
    JohnnyM100 and P40ULW like this.
  15. A3_Rider

A3_Rider Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Make sure you read the link posted to the other thread, its a worthy read.

I can understand the EU directive, however they should allow the buyer to opt in or out rather than force it on them.

Software updates do make it harder to crack, but sometimes its only 1 step ahead, or even 1 step behind a thief. If they want your car they're going to try all sorts.
  16. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I remember when cars could be knicked with a 50p screwdriver...
  17. s3_trev

s3_trev 3 door or no door!

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Well...maybe, but I know I do everything in my power to make it as difficult as possible for any would be thief. So a "they are gonna get it if they want it" attitude is kinda lazy IMO.
    steeve likes this.
  18. monopole

monopole pro-monopole-ish-ism-istic

[Aug 18, 2014]
    *cry*
  19. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I think that everyone is forgetting cars with a key are only slightly more secure than keyless anyway.....
  20. A3_Rider

A3_Rider Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Why'd you make monopole cry :crying:
  21. carl-1968

carl-1968 A4 Derv for sale ask me for details!

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Brought 3 steering wheel locks (sold secure type) one for each car, highly visible and a good deterrent to casual car thieves as one is normally on the drive.
  22. The Challinor

The Challinor Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    My mates first car was a Suzuki swift and no joke once we got back from Magaluf and he'd lost his keys, we used a tea spoon to open the door and drive it off.
    cemerson likes this.
  23. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Might manufacture a realistic looking steering lock that just rests on the wheel but looks the business... should be enough to put people off at least :p
    The Challinor likes this.
  24. ColMariner

ColMariner Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Quick question If keyless cars are so much easier to knick, why aren't insurance companies asking if a car is keyless or not and then charging more to insure keyless models?
  25. veeeight

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Because at present the measure is Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm and Immobiliser, which they conform to.
  26. ColMariner

ColMariner Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Exactly so if the people who have to pay out on any claims aren't worried about it been an issue I am not going to let it worry me, as the original article says they've still got to get in your car in the first place which is the hardest bit and the same problem for the thief, regardless if car is keyless or not.