A4 B8 Subwoofer not working.

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

Reaction score
The subwoofer is not working but all other speakers in the doors are.

The subwoofer does have a fit now and again depending on the music played but it only fits for 1 second sounding all distorted then goes dead again.

Does this sound like the AMP or the sub itself, I've had the parcel shelf out and re-seated the connections to the sub and AMP but other than that I'm at a lose.

Can anybody help with advise on what/how to test things to see what part of the system is dead?

It is a standard system in the audio not Bose or B&O

Any options for SIMPLE upgrades if I need to replace things?

My AMP

OK so I took a double A 1.5v battery to the sub and got no movement... I then took a square 9v battery to it and got movement.

It seems 1 of the cables on the sub is flaky and if I bend it at an angle it will work but I have no idea for how long.

As it's not the amp does anybody know what the power output number/things are for this amp?
In short does anybody know what would make a suitable replacement of decent quality for the subwoofer? OHMs RMS(I have no idea what these mean)

I don't want to add another amp or rewire the whole system or build a sub box.

I will put some sound matting on the rear shelf and a spacer to raise it up a little to stop it intruding on the load space. There must be something that is plug and play that is better than the OEM. I have bigger magnets on my fridge than the ones on the OEM subwoofer.

Last edited:
I'm changing the sub on parcel shelf of my b6 a4 with a kicker free air. Ive done them in b6/b7 before but running off Bose or aftermarket amplifiers. Not sure your factory amp will move an after market sub a lot.

Hello,

This is the same conclusion I come too regarding the stock AMP.

Is it the Kicker 10C104 woofer you had in mind? I hope so then I was on the right lines.

The cheapest I found it was Bass Junkies(Clicky) £59.99 delivered.

I did ask them what AMP would go with it but they never replied so I am none the wiser what AMP would suit that sub. Can you help? Looking to spend about the £70 mark or so for the AMP.

The next prob is how I wire the amp in as mine uses an optic feed into the OEM AMP.

Any help is appreciated. physically the job for me is easy but I have no clue about the rest.

Sorry for late reply been on holiday. Did you manage to find an amp for the kicker sub?

You would need to use a high level input interface tapped into the speaker wiring outputs of the oe amplifier.

This will then give you rca signal for the new amp. Obviously you have power earth etc etc to do also.

Hi. Unfortunately I can't help you with this as I've got the same problem.
Could you tell me how to remove rear parcel shelf so I can get to the amp?

Found an amp but lucked out on the Kicker sub as there is NO STOCK in the uk of these it seems.

I have bought another sub that I think will do... but information on free air subs or infinite baffle as they are also called seems hard to find. There is plenty of info in the US but they fit dual 15" ones I can't find any info on 10" ones that will fit my purpose, apart from massive Marine ones at £250.

Links for info I have found to be of use.

Parcel Shelf Removal

Free Air Subs

I went for the next gen of the first sub listed as it does have a Free Air Resonance rating in its specs and if the V2 was ok for this application then I hope the V3 will be OK.

£80.93 Delivered Next Day

I received the sub yesterday and it does fit perfect and the 3 holes do line up so you can just fit it straight in. I purchased an MDF ring off eBay to raise it up under the shelf. It also gives some room back in the boot.

I have seen the use of a Hi lo converter thing in another post about Amps in an A4 but have found what I think is a wiring diagram of where you can grab the low signal and not need the converter but I need to look into this more.

Wiring

At this point I have an AMP and a SUB and the matting.. on order I have the bolts, speaker ring and some other bits so I can mount the sub.

I'll get some pics up when I get further.

Reactions: bonifacy87
Found an amp but lucked out on the Kicker sub as there is NO STOCK in the uk of these it seems.

I have bought another sub that I think will do... but information on free air subs or infinite baffle as they are also called seems hard to find. There is plenty of info in the US but they fit dual 15" ones I can't find any info on 10" ones that will fit my purpose, apart from massive Marine ones at £250.

Links for info I have found to be of use.

Parcel Shelf Removal

Free Air Subs

I went for the next gen of the first sub listed as it does have a Free Air Resonance rating in its specs and if the V2 was ok for this application then I hope the V3 will be OK.

£80.93 Delivered Next Day

I received the sub yesterday and it does fit perfect and the 3 holes do line up so you can just fit it straight in. I purchased an MDF ring off eBay to raise it up under the shelf. It also gives some room back in the boot.

I have seen the use of a Hi lo converter thing in another post about Amps in an A4 but have found what I think is a wiring diagram of where you can grab the low signal and not need the converter but I need to look into this more.

Wiring

At this point I have an AMP and a SUB and the matting.. on order I have the bolts, speaker ring and some other bits so I can mount the sub.

I'll get some pics up when I get further.
So how did it go for you. Can you post some pictures. What about the rattles/vibrations from the rear shelf. I currently have a blown standard subwoofer and weighing in my options

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk