A3 S-Line to Golf GTI?

Muttley75

Reaction score
Thinking ahead to my next car, I've always wanted a Golf GTI but when it comes round to changing the car I always end up with something else.

2010... almost bought one and got a Seat Ibiza Cupra instead. Great fun but firm ride abs cheap nasty interior.

2014... almost bought a GTI but went for a TT instead. Hated it - rubbish handling and really missed the DSG from the Seat. Although it had a nice premium badge and interior.

2015... nearly bought a GTI again but instead opted for an A3 1.4 150ps S-Line. Love the car but can't help feel it's a trifle dull to drive. Can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's probably the steering as the handling itself is fine.

Anyway, thinking of finally getting that GTI - any reasons why I shouldn't? Has anyone come to the A3 from a GTI got any views on this?

On paper it's a no brainer. It's cheaper, faster, better handling, tons more kit, great interior (if slightly less posh than the Audi) but it's 'just a Golf' albeit a decent, fast Golf.

What do you guys think? BTW I wouldn't consider an S3 as it's out of my price range and I don't want the additional running costs.

The other option is an S1 but looking back on the TT, I think I'd miss the S-Tronic too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jassyo06 and David McQueen
Interested in this chat aswell mate, i have the exact same a3 got it brand new 11 months ago and love it. Like yourself looking into the next car for when the time comes, would ideally want an s3 but all comes downs to money and what deals are offered at the time. But i did look into a gti and comes with a lot of kit which would be classed as extras on an audi. But when i looked into cash price etc your not much more in comparrison to a golf r maybe 6 month old with really low milage, which then takes you to the regular s3/golf r chat lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S3 is good but don't break the bank for one. I came from a mk 3 TT and I loved it but s tronic wasn't available when I got mine, it's is now though and I would happily go back to a mk 3 TT, nicer interior, better looking and handles better than my S3.

Re the Golf, my partners dad has a GTD as a company car, its standard spec but that includes active cruise etc, I would seriously consider a GTi especially with the performance pack. For me interior visually isn't as nice as the S3 but it does the same thing, seats in the GTD are much better than the super sports in mine.

Test a GTi then make the decision, I think you'll know straight away if it's a goer.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
S3 is good but don't break the bank for one. I came from a mk 3 TT and I loved it but s tronic wasn't available when I got mine, it's is now though and I would happily go back to a mk 3 TT, nicer interior, better looking and handles better than my S3.

Re the Golf, my partners dad has a GTD as a company car, its standard spec but that includes active cruise etc, I would seriously consider a GTi especially with the performance pack. For me interior visually isn't as nice as the S3 but it does the same thing, seats in the GTD are much better than the super sports in mine.

Test a GTi then make the decision, I think you'll know straight away if it's a goer.

Ironically I did test the mk7 GTI just before I bought the A3. The GTI was perfect. More comfortable, better handling and more toys. Something lured me back to Audi though. Maybe it's those 4 rings and a bit of badge snobbery lol.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and David McQueen
Ironically I did test the mk7 GTI just before I bought the A3. The GTI was perfect. More comfortable, better handling and more toys. Something lured me back to Audi though. Maybe it's those 4 rings and a bit of badge snobbery lol.

Think you have hit the nail on the head with the badge comment mate think thats what draws me back, definitely going to weigh up all options next time and try think sensibly...

My current daily is the exact same A3 so will also change this shortly. Also interested in what you guys think!

Reactions: David McQueen

Definitely I chose an S3 over an R because of the interior mostly and in my mind the S3 was more exclusive, its not really though, plenty of R's and 3's about.

I would seriously consider the GTi for my next car, I'd like a TTs but it's a big jump up from the S3, S4 avant and GTi are on the list.

I reckon it's worth another test drive and if still undecided it's probably not for you.

Just had a look at car wow there, 245 dsg gti performance 5 door came back at £28,000 on the first offer which is 12% discount plus £1000 contribution. Very reasonable offer a would say

Reactions: TYb
Just had a look at car wow there, 245 dsg gti performance 5 door came back at £28,000 on the first offer which is 12% discount plus £1000 contribution. Very reasonable offer a would say

Exactly my point. And I reckon it's got the equivalent of around £4000's worth of options compared to a base spec S3.

Exactly my point. And I reckon it's got the equivalent of around £4000's worth of options compared to a base spec S3.

Yeah mate folding mirrors virtual cockpit etc, obviously audis looks better but at savings like that, very decent.

The finance price on carwow is usually inclusive of the dealer contribution, it's usually what the difference is between the 2 offers.

BTW I wouldn't consider an S3 as it's out of my price range and I don't want the additional running costs.

I looked at the GTi, it was more than what I was paying for my S3, I put £1k down 10,000 mile per year and it was £381 (but over 48 months).

You can get the golf for:

Let's say £1,000 deposit to leave you with £24,558 to finance =

Doing the same as above on a 2.0 A3 black edition s-tronic:

Less your £1000 to get the finance figure to £25,457

So £394 for the golf or £397 for the Audi!!!

BE 3 door :) .5 of a second slower to 60 than the GTi! Acceleration 0-62 mph 6.7 Seconds
media

I looked at the GTi, it was more than what I was paying for my S3, I put £1k down 10,000 mile per year and it was £381 (but over 48 months).

You can get the golf for:

View attachment 136368

Let's say £1,000 deposit to leave you with £24,558 to finance =

View attachment 136369

Doing the same as above on a 2.0 A3 black edition s-tronic:

View attachment 136371

Less your £1000 to get the finance figure to £25,457

View attachment 136372

So £394 for the golf or £397 for the Audi!!!

BE 3 door :) .5 of a second slower to 60 than the GTi! Acceleration 0-62 mph 6.7 Seconds
media

Interesting. The 2.0 petrol A3 had slipped off my radar. When I bought mine I think the fastest one was a 1.8 which wasn't that much faster but was a fair bit less economical, hence going for the 1.4.

Ive come from a GTD to an A3 S Line, I've got the 1.5 rather than the 1.4, the PS is the same but the torque delivery is more linear.

The GTD and GTI are the same car just the power plant is different. As say you will get far more kit as standard with the Golf compared to the Audi, I had to get a bit giddy with the option list to get a similar spec on the A3 compared to the Golf. One thing I really miss is the variable rate steering rack, lock to lock with 2 turns of the wheel really makes a difference when turning into side roads etc. I could have had it on the A3 but its just another paid option.

The ride on the GTD was harder than the A3 but I think the Audi runs a little higher so its only to be expected. Ive just spent the last week touring Scotland (thanks Audi bairn) and the smoother ride of the A3 was really welcome.

The interior quality of the A3 is a ahead but thats comparing an original MK7 to an MY18 Audi, the gap maybe less if you compare the latest 7.5 Golf.

In normal driving I find little difference in the performance of the GTD and A3. However, on a fast A road overtake the extra 30 odd PS of the golf really shows, its similar on a motorway, the GTD is more responsive. To be fair I've only done 1400miles so its not broken in yet but I'm not expecting miracles.

3 main factors influenced my decision to go with the A3 over another Golf..

1) The facelift golf is fugly, I really dont like the lower front valance
2) Im running the A3 as a company car so the 1.5 offers a fair compromise between tax payments and performance
3) At the time I ordered the 1.5 wasn't available in the Golf.

Ive come from a GTD to an A3 S Line, I've got the 1.5 rather than the 1.4, the PS is the same but the torque delivery is more linear.

The GTD and GTI are the same car just the power plant is different. As say you will get far more kit as standard with the Golf compared to the Audi, I had to get a bit giddy with the option list to get a similar spec on the A3 compared to the Golf. One thing I really miss is the variable rate steering rack, lock to lock with 2 turns of the wheel really makes a difference when turning into side roads etc. I could have had it on the A3 but its just another paid option.

The ride on the GTD was harder than the A3 but I think the Audi runs a little higher so its only to be expected. Ive just spent the last week touring Scotland (thanks Audi bairn) and the smoother ride of the A3 was really welcome.

The interior quality of the A3 is a ahead but thats comparing an original MK7 to an MY18 Audi, the gap maybe less if you compare the latest 7.5 Golf.

In normal driving I find little difference in the performance of the GTD and A3. However, on a fast A road overtake the extra 30 odd PS of the golf really shows, its similar on a motorway, the GTD is more responsive. To be fair I've only done 1400miles so its not broken in yet but I'm not expecting miracles.

3 main factors influenced my decision to go with the A3 over another Golf..

1) The facelift golf is fugly, I really dont like the lower front valance
2) Im running the A3 as a company car so the 1.5 offers a fair compromise between tax payments and performance
3) At the time I ordered the 1.5 wasn't available in the Golf.

Yep I'm kicking myself I didn't tick the progressive steering option. I opted for electric lumbar instead but it's so uncomfortable I use it in the off position so that was £150 not very well spent! Could have had the steering upgrade for that - and that is precisely what I think the A3 (mine at least) is lacking.

This is interesting too, I'm after a cheap 4 door family car. The 2 cars I'm thinking about are the s3 saloon and the gti 245 5 door, with discount they are only £6,000 apart, but with the finance details the golf has a £6000 lower residule so they are actually the same price per month

Having just been there I would be very wary about the residual value of the Golf. My GTD was valued about £1500 below the outstanding finance. I let the agreement run to the 50% value was reached and then exercised my right to terminate the agreement early meaning VWFS had to suck up the loss.

Personally I find the A3 range has a gap where a GTi spec vehicle should sit. The range leaps from S Line/Blk edition which are basically the same car but with a few more bits on the BE straight to the S3 / Golf R equivalent. You can spec the S Line/BE with the same 2l petrol engine as the GTi but you don't get the bigger brakes, further uprated suspension, variable rack steering etc as standard. You can load as many optoons as you like but it will still be an S Line/BE. Clearly VAG prefer to keep the 'classic' hot hatch in the VW stable.

Reactions: TDI-line
I never factor residuals into my car purchases, I buy what I can afford at the time. At the end of the day, regardless what you drive, how well it's been looked after, how many dealer service stamps it has, etc etc... come trade-in time it will still only be worth £2.75.

Reactions: Jassyo06, TDI-line, David McQueen and 1 other person
I can't argue with that.:salute:

Until this A3 I always used PCP. This time Ive gone PCH as I'm 99.9% certain I'll give the car back in 3 years so I don't need the option to own it.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
@Muttley75 - You do know this an Audi site, right ? lol

Seriously tho', after checking the prices of new Golf GTI Performance's on DriveTheDeal recently
GTI all the way IMHO

I've just ordered a new Seat Leon 300 Cupra 5 door on a crazy cheap lease deal
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door-manual.340323/

However, I've had an itch for a Golf GTI for around 20 years, but never quite got there
Maybe after the Cuppa ...

Ha yes, I deliberately posted it here to see if there were any compelling arguments to keep with Audi over VW. Apart from the brand image, I'm yet to be fully convinced. Maybe I need to scratch my GTI itch then come back to Audi afterwards.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Ha yes, I deliberately posted it here to see if there were any compelling arguments to keep with Audi over VW. Apart from the brand image, I'm yet to be fully convinced. Maybe I need to scratch my GTI itch then come back to Audi afterwards.

After owning Audi S/RS cars for years I fancied a change....
We already had a GTD as a second car and I was impressed by the car as a whole ‘package’
So when the FL 7.5 R was released I traded our RS3 8V in for one.

It doesn’t disappoint at all.......

I was going to wait until later this year to get the FL RS3..... however after reading several reviews and seeing it in the flesh it’s no better than the one I sold a few months back, especially at 54k spec.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Jcbmally
Like you have said fella, you feel there is something missing from the Audi. If you don't satisfy the "itch" you'll only end up wishing you got the GTI.
Do it, do it, do it do it !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and David McQueen
I never factor residuals into my car purchases, I buy what I can afford at the time. At the end of the day, regardless what you drive, how well it's been looked after, how many dealer service stamps it has, etc etc... come trade-in time it will still only be worth £2.75.

Surely you need to factor in residules, especially on pcp as your monthlys directly relate to the residules, the residule on a golf gti is only £13,000 after 4 years and it will probably be worth that, the s3 saloon is £19000 and again will probably be worth that. So the only extra the s3 will cost me is the interest on the £6000 extra I'm borrowing.

Surely you need to factor in residules, especially on pcp as your monthlys directly relate to the residules, the residule on a golf gti is only £13,000 after 4 years and it will probably be worth that, the s3 saloon is £19000 and again will probably be worth that. So the only extra the s3 will cost me is the interest on the £6000 extra I'm borrowing.

Nope. That's what the GFV is for. I'm assuming at the end of the PCP it will have no equity so I'll just hand it back and I'll do another PCP. I just look at the deposit and how much it's going to cost me per month. Still cheaper than taking out a loan every 4 years and buying a used car.

Still cheaper than taking out a loan every 4 years and buying a used car.

Really...??

Not too sure about that one mate!

Interest is much much cheaper, car is cheaper and it depreciates slower....

A typical PCP with decent discount and £1k deposit will be about £300 per month. Total £15k. No way a used A3 will loose £15k in 4 years. A decent 14plate will already be about £18k to buy, so think it's safe to say it will sell for more than £3k in 4 yrs time...! Interest on personal loans is only about £1k.

I guess there is the problem of out of warranty repair, but unless you are having to do an engine rebuild every year, I still don't think you are going to get close to the amount you spend on a new car PCP...

Really...??

Not too sure about that one mate!

Interest is much much cheaper, car is cheaper and it depreciates slower....

A typical PCP with decent discount and £1k deposit will be about £300 per month. Total £15k. No way a used A3 will loose £15k in 4 years. A decent 14plate will already be about £18k to buy, so think it's safe to say it will sell for more than £3k in 4 yrs time...! Interest on personal loans is only about £1k.

I guess there is the problem of out of warranty repair, but unless you are having to do an engine rebuild every year, I still don't think you are going to get close to the amount you spend on a new car PCP...

I don't look at it like that.

Take my previous car, a 4 year old TT. Paid for by trading in my car plus a loan to finance the difference. Paid £17k for the TT, including trade in. The loan was £240 p/m x 48.

When I bought the A3, brand new with options the asking price was £26k. There's no way I'd ever spend that on a car, £20k is about my limit. But for £3k deposit and PCP payments of 42 x £267, I'm getting that new £26k car for a total outlay of around £15k.

Compare that to the used TT @ £17k - in my book, that's cheaper. I also sold the TT a year later (private sale) for 13.5k so that's pretty heavy depreciation too.

Personally PCP works for me as I can buy a car worth more than I'd otherwise spend and if I'm always buying on finance I never technically 'own' the car anyway. Horses for courses.

I have an old golf which I can use for the scrappage scheme, so I need to buy a new one, I like the golf gti but because of price and residules the golf works out at around £280 a month on pcp and the s3 saloon is £300. So it's surely a no brainier to get the s3 for an extra £20

I don't look at it like that.

Take my previous car, a 4 year old TT. Paid for by trading in my car plus a loan to finance the difference. Paid £17k for the TT, including trade in. The loan was £240 p/m x 48.

When I bought the A3, brand new with options the asking price was £26k. There's no way I'd ever spend that on a car, £20k is about my limit. But for £3k deposit and PCP payments of 42 x £267, I'm getting that new £26k car for a total outlay of around £15k.

Compare that to the used TT @ £17k - in my book, that's cheaper. I also sold the TT a year later (private sale) for 13.5k so that's pretty heavy depreciation too.

Personally PCP works for me as I can buy a car worth more than I'd otherwise spend and if I'm always buying on finance I never technically 'own' the car anyway. Horses for courses.

That's fine mate, but just pointing out it's rarely, if ever, cheaper. More often, its considerably more expensive!

Of course if it works for you, more for you buddy!

I just look at the monthlies. I'm happy paying £267. If it costs me more over 4 years than paying £450 per month on HP then that's neither here nor there. However, that amount extra coming out of my pocket each month would be noticeable. That's where I'm coming from. Fully accept PCP isn't for everyone though.

Reactions: DrEskimo
I just look at the monthlies. I'm happy paying £267. If it costs me more over 4 years than paying £450 per month on HP then that's neither here nor there. However, that amount extra coming out of my pocket each month would be noticeable. That's where I'm coming from. Fully accept PCP isn't for everyone though.

Nah the ridiculous rate on HP makes that a daft option.

Can borrow £12k for £267 a month over 4 years from most banks right now. Obviously need to stump up at least an extra £5k to get a decent spec used example, but overall cost will be at least half I reckon. Total interest is only £800 vs. £3/4k on a PCP, so could easily increase the term and pay even less/borrow more.

I just think when you work out the actual amount of money that has left you account after a couple of PCP deals....well it starts getting a bit eye watering...

Anyway, sorry back OT. Have to agree above. In the land of PCP, although the cost is higher, the GFV is higher, so the monthly difference between the GTI and S3 is relatively small...?

I've always thought about the Golf, and in fact I owned a Mk5 1.4TFSI as my second car, but it never felt as nice as my Audi's.

Another possibility it lease? A3's very rarely come up on good deals, but Golfs do all the time. Were some silly deals on the GTI not too long ago.

I was referring to a low rate loan, not HP. At the end of the day the choice is a loan and an 18 month old used car or a PCP with lower monthly payments for a brand new car I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. The TCO in my view is irrelevant. My income is monthly, my mortgage is monthly. Regardless whether the PCP costs more in the long term doesn't come into it (for me) as the additional interest is spread thin over a number of years.

That said, if I bought a GTI I would go down the used/loan route as £25k is the maximum I'm prepared to spend on a PCP to keep the monthly figure below £300. On the other hand if I opted for another A3, I'd use PCP again as a loan over 3/4 years would be well over £450 pm.

That's where I'm coming from. Anyway let's discuss the merits or otherwise of the A3 vs the GTI rather than the rights and wrongs of PCP. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Back on topic, there is nowhere near as much storage space in the A3 compared to the Golf.

In the MK7 I had there was a flap in the roof liner for sunglasses, A draw under the headlight control and draws under both front seats. In the A3 you have the glove box and thats it. I have the charging box between the front seats so that's taken as well.

I noticed the other day that the A3 roof liner looks cheap compared to the Golf. Its smooth in the Golf compared to the A3 that looks like they've just covered the metalwork with fabric.

The GTi will also get red LED strips in the doors cards as standard. Yet ANOTHER paid option on the A3...

Reactions: T-800, richinsoton, deanshaw24 and 1 other person
I was referring to a low rate loan, not HP. At the end of the day the choice is a loan and an 18 month old used car or a PCP with lower monthly payments for a brand new car I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. The TCO in my view is irrelevant. My income is monthly, my mortgage is monthly. Regardless whether the PCP costs more in the long term doesn't come into it (for me) as the additional interest is spread thin over a number of years.

That said, if I bought a GTI I would go down the used/loan route as £25k is the maximum I'm prepared to spend on a PCP to keep the monthly figure below £300. On the other hand if I opted for another A3, I'd use PCP again as a loan over 3/4 years would be well over £450 pm.

That's where I'm coming from. Anyway let's discuss the merits or otherwise of the A3 vs the GTI rather than the rights and wrongs of PCP. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

This was the only bit I disagreed with you on mate:

Still cheaper than taking out a loan every 4 years and buying a used car.

But now I see you were referring to the monthly cost, so i'll be quiet now :p

Anyyyyhoo...

How about a lease like this one?

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/.../hatchback/20_tsi_gti_5dr_dsg/78448-2018.html

Monthlies at £290 and works out at about £11k over 3 years? Less than £4k per year is pretty cheap motoring!

Not sure what your mileage is though?

Reactions: TDI-line
I can't argue with that.:salute:

Until this A3 I always used PCP. This time Ive gone PCH as I'm 99.9% certain I'll give the car back in 3 years so I don't need the option to own it.
Just be aware that on a PCP you can hand it back early, on a PCH you have to keep it the full term.

I'm assuming at the end of the PCP it will have no equity so I'll just hand it back and I'll do another PCP. I just look at the deposit and how much it's going to cost me per month. Still cheaper than taking out a loan every 4 years and buying a used car.
That's exactly how I see it mate, pay my £1k for a new car and get the monthly payments I'm happy to lose, if at the end there is equity in the car then that's a bonus. If there is no equity in the car hand it back, give them another £1k and start again. I just like the idea of no mot's, free breakdown cover, and a car that is always in warranty. As you say buy an old car and then you have payments on that, plus you have to cover the cost if it goes wrong as well.

Reactions: David McQueen and richinsoton
That's exactly how I see it mate, pay my £1k for a new car and get the monthly payments I'm happy to lose, if at the end there is equity in the car then that's a bonus. If there is no equity in the car hand it back, give them another £1k and start again. I just like the idea of no mot's, free breakdown cover, and a car that is always in warranty. As you say buy an old car and then you have payments on that, plus you have to cover the cost if it goes wrong as well.

Just doing some rough calculations and it isn't as clear cut as I thought, but there is certainly some interesting aspects.

PCP car 1
1000 deposit + £300 *47monthlies = £15,100

PCP car 2
1000 deposit + £300 *47monthlies = £15,100

Total spent on two cars over 8yrs = £30,200

Used car 1
£18k to buy
£5000 upfront + £13k loan at £300 per month over 48month = £19,400
Sell for £8,000
Cost = £11,400

Used car 2
£21k (Now have £8,000 to put down as all my payments for the personal loan weren't just on interest and deprecation...)
£8000 upfront + £13k loan at £300 per month over 48month = £22,400
Sell for £10,000
Cost = £12,400

Total spent on two cars over 8yrs = £23,800

So about £1k cheaper year on year. Lets say you buy a 1 year old model, so only have to worry about MOT, breakdown and warranty for last 2years. So thats £80 for two MOTS, £80 for two breakdowns, as say £1000 for warranty repairs (being harsh I think...!). That for both cars means the £6,400 saving becomes £4k.

All of sudden not so great...! But still a saving nonetheless! Of course I could of decreased my borrowing and bought a car of equal value as my second used car, and increased those savings. I guess that would have been a more apple to apples comparison...?

However, not only do you not have to find the extra £1k every 4years, if you buy and sell sensibly your deposit will actually increase each time, allowing you to get a better/more expensive car without having to increase your monthly outgoings. So from a 'month to month' budget perspective, its cheaper as I don't have to factor in the extra £20 per month to make sure I have that £1k again.

I've just done a new car PCP, but I'm going back to used based on the above personally (or maybe lease if the right deal comes along...!).

It's an interesting debate though (one I should stop having on Muttley's GTI thread :p), as there isn't as much in it as I first thought!

Reactions: TDI-line, David McQueen and richinsoton
@DrEskimo - Any comparisons to PCH deals ?

That one is a bit tricky BH, but lets assume you are very lucky and manage a 1+23 at £250 per month for a comparable car. In which case that will be £5,750 every 2 years, so £23,000 over 8 years. Actually £800 cheaper than the used route and you have 4 new cars in 8 years, as apposed to just 2.

However, I've been looking at the PCH market long enough to know £250 on a 23+1 doesn't get you much....! It's likely to be similar to the PCP in reality, and again you don't have the advantage of maintaining the same monthly outgoing, while being able to increase the cars value each time. I've typically worked out decent motors to be about £4k per year on a average PCH deal, so thats £32k over 8 years....

Also mileage pays a more significant roll, so does early termination, but as long as you stick to 24m terms, I cant see that being an issue.

I think PCH can be a decent way of getting new cars cheap if you get the right deals, that's for sure! The inflexibility, uncertainty of what deals are around when your current one finishes, and mileage caps do put me off though....

I'm genuinely stumped about what to do if/when I get my next car....Im thinking the used route given the stupidly loan interest rates on personal loans though....still...keep my eye on the PH lease thread :p

Reactions: Bristle Hound
**** me what was the OP original question.... Lol @Muttley75. Golf GTI mate very nice car especially in red it's classy unpretentious and has plenty of usable power for UK roads

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bristle Hound, TDI-line and 2 others