1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Quattro KO4 upgrade, its started

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by phil miller, Sep 17, 2012.

1. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Mar 3, 2013]
    yes fit agn cams and yes use vvt, gains over non vvt can be had
    our lupo aum has run it for years... Active vvt like k04 cars already have... its only k03 vvt cars which dont use it once warmed up.
  2. phil miller

phil miller Active Member

[Mar 3, 2013]
    Thank you mate, that was what i was looking for, ok rings from GSF at £11. really? do you have a part number? my boss fell out with GSF years ago over something very petty, silly thing is we use to spend 6/7 k a month with them, so over a £100 ac pump was it worth it?
    anyway back on track, if you have a Part number i will get some ordered asap, im starting to gather the parts, head will be ready Friday, will be on the Phone to Mr badger at some point thro the week to order Rods and bigends, then its rebuild time :)
  3. phil miller

[Mar 3, 2013]
    Thank you Bill, i still dont fully understand how or what the VVT does on the Ko4 and what benefits it will aid on Ron, one thing is for sure i see it will help ron so its worth doing

Bill will be calling later in the week to order Rods and bigends :)

cant wait to get Ron sorted, miss driving it, even tho i only drove a few miles before it went pear shaped :(
  4. phil miller

[Mar 6, 2013]
    Today i started on the bottom end strip down, ive decided to do away with the AC (because i put a saw thro the rad last year :() so i took the AC pump off, the AC rad and as much pipework as poss will be removed and a non AC belt will be fitted, after Tea im gonna get the sump off and get the pistons out, then tomorrow after fitting Jardos new bottom arms im gonna hone the bores ready for the rebuild :)

here are the bits ive gotta get
    OE rocker cover gasket, VVT gasket and half moon
    Head gasket and bolts
    OE valve stem oil seals
    Cambelt kit and water pump
    non AC aux belt
    oil filter and oil
    NGK plugs
    coolant
    turbo oil return gasket and 6 crush washers
    order Rods and bigends from Bill
    piston rings
    have the injectors tested

im sure there is stuff ive missed please feel free to add it :)
  5. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Mar 6, 2013]
    I've got a couple of bags of valve stem seals, send me your address and I'll stick a set in the post.
  6. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

[Mar 6, 2013]
    GSF piston rings

GSF no. Sc501

Part no. 08-502900-00

goetz .....
  7. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Mar 6, 2013]
    Mate at this rate your going to beat me to rods, already beaten me to r-tech and i've had my car 18 months lol I'll have you on the rollers when i'm finished though....;)
  8. phil miller

[Mar 6, 2013]
    Dan you are a star, will PM you now dude :)

thank you for the GSF part number, that saves hassle when i call them :)
  9. phil miller

[Mar 6, 2013]
    LOL you know me Russ, when i get an idea in my head i have to do it before i change my mind :)
  10. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Mar 6, 2013]
    Same here, gets me into loads of trouble! Luckily my wife is supportive/forgiving lol Brst hope Rach stays that way after you get that ring on your finger!
  11. phil miller

[Mar 6, 2013]
    although Rachel is very supportive she has told me if ron goes bang again then thats it :(
  12. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Mar 6, 2013]
    Do it right do it once, regardless of cost and bomb proof it lol In all fairness it has been 'suggested' to me i sell my ibiza. What she doesn't know is that that may go towards spraying mine white;)
  13. phil miller

[Mar 6, 2013]
    I like your thinking Russ :)

well I went down to Ron and took the sump off then took the pistons out, all looks good apart from the bigends on cyl 1 has a mark on them, the crank looks fine tho, which is great news, will post up pics when I'm on my laptop
  14. phil miller

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Well had a strange day yesterday, and needed stuff to do, so i decided to do some on Ron, so here are the pics i mentioned above

no AC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there is some marking on no1 bigend but the crank looks fine

[​IMG]

all ready to be cleaned, have new rods fitted and new rings
    [​IMG]
  15. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

16. phil miller

[Mar 8, 2013]
    Ok so today i got the call from willis to tell me the......

guides are fitted :)

Valve seats cut :)

Valves cut :)

so i collected it after work and im gonna give the valves a light lap in just to seat them, then on monday willis is having the head back to hot wash again, fit Valve stem seals and refit the valves, he has been great, he was just gonna cut the seats to start with and fit guides, but has said he will fit the seals and valves as he knows there a pita, he also said i can drop my pistons and sump into him and he will clean them aswell for me, even tho he makes out to hate road going petrol low BHP cars (lol) i think deep down he likes helping me out :)

so on the dinning room (what am i on about its been a workshop bench for the last 4 weeks) table i have it all laid out ready for some lapping later tonight/tomorrow night

[​IMG]

shiny new guides and the seat that the satan valve was in, Willis has assured me the seat is fine (and lets face it, if he had said it was fooked then i would be paying him to replace it, so as he said its fine thats good with me :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so Kid in sweet shop explains how im feeling now :), plan is get the head back say wednesday (im in no rush so Willis can fit it in around his other work)

So once i have the head back and refit some NA cams its then the bottom end, which thro this week i will be ordering all the parts i need (Dave star) and all being well the rebuild will start saturday (and end with Ron running saturday) i really really cant wait, more so now than when it was at Rtech being mapped
  17. phil miller

[Mar 10, 2013]
    ok a little update

All 20 valves are lapped in, so the head is going back tomorrow to have all the valves fitted, then i can build it again :)

Ive started ordering in the bits i need, today ive bought NGK plugs, water pump, thermostat and the vvt gasket and half moon gasket
  18. phil miller

[Mar 13, 2013]
    Arrived today

thank you Dan your a star :)

NGK plugs, vvt gasket and half moon arrived, i had the red slip thro the door which means my water pump and thermostat is at the sorting office :)

gonna get the head gasket, head bolts and rocker cover gasket tomorrow

Im looking forward to getting all the parts so i can start the rebuild :)
  19. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Mar 14, 2013]
    rods, shells 1 x set left in stock currently
  20. phil miller

[Mar 15, 2013]
    ok so i collected the head today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then set about fitting the relentless mani back on to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now at this point i decided im gonna left the head on with the turbo bolted to the mani as it will save the hassle of the mani to turbo bolts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now please for the love of god dont burn out again :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all clean :)
    [​IMG]
  21. phil miller

[Mar 15, 2013]
    I ordered up a new set of rings today, they are Goetze and have cost a massive £11.38 inc vat per piston :)

Had a good chat with Bill yesterday, and everything is in the pipeline, the rebuild has started :)
  22. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Awesome news Phil :)

glad its coming together!
  23. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Wooooooooooh Ron!
  24. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Good work mate, quick as ever!
  25. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

26. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]

:) your manifold looks alot shinyer than mine :( great minds think alike on fitting the turbo to mani off the car :)

Great stuff dude, when are you fitting yours?
  27. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Ive been waiting for my water pump to arrive all week, so friday evening i emailed GSF to find out (i bought online due to GSF not delievering to us at work) and i was emailed back a tracking number and it was at the post office, which was strange as i hadnt seen a slip thro the door, anyway was upstairs just now, and one of our dogs has a habit of making a den in the corner of our bedroom, i thought id be nice and wash her blanket and as i lifted the blanket i found a few chewed letters and then a silver parcel force slip, so looks like my water pump has been waiting just down the road for the last 5 days, BLOODLY DOG lol
  28. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Next Saturday Phil, too busy all week...:blush: are you putting the oil/water lines on the turbo before refitting?
  29. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Good stuff, my plan is to leave the oil feed and the coolant on the block, the short coolant pipe with the banjo bolt that faces the back of the block and the oil return pipe i plan to bolt to the turbo first, ok it will make it a little harder to fit and will prob take 2 people to lift the head on but it will save a lot of hassle, then if there is any problem getting the oil feed pipe on the turbo its easy to undo it from the oil filter housing and fit it that way

well thats my plan, as the mani to turbo nuts are a pain to get at when the head is on, im hoping this way will make it easier

Hope it goes well Dave, let me know, i think this weekend i will be honing my bores and fitting my Pistons and rods in the bottom end, i really cant wait :)
  30. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]
    so with Ron moving forward i got a little bored and remembered when Niki mapped it he said it had boost weeps around the 75, DV and MAP points, now i made a pikey Map housing so that will be replaced with a forge one, so i decided to chem metal the other 2, thats what ive been doing

before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I must add i hate doing things like that, i hate working with stuff that goes tacky, i also tend to play with it fair to much when i should just put it on and leave it, im thinking of painting the pipe to help make it look a bit better

Also ive been thinking of building my own 3in cat back, i can get 3in T304 easy and for cheap, so it would just be time, i was also thinking of using the S3 back box but cutting it open and removing some of the baffle fluffy stuff to help flow, any thoughts on this?
  31. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2013]
    You rodded him? That sound a bit wrong....
  32. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Lol, and it was a good rodding to :)
  33. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2013]
    Do it Phil, you know you want to. I'm building the entire system on my project and while it's taking forever it will be so rewarding when finished. Plus I've learned how to TIG weld in the process, when I say I can TIG weld what I really mean is faff about with a new toy haha
  34. phil miller

[Mar 17, 2013]
    well ive been talking to a friend who works in a factory, he does the tool making side of things, what im getting at is 2.5 metres of T304 3in stainless is easy for him to get for me as they throw loads out when they refit, so apart from a bit of time and giving my mate a large drink the exhaust will be done on a budget of next to nothing :)
  35. phil miller

[Mar 18, 2013]
    well a little closer today, was flat out and didnt get a chance to breath today :(

anyway today my rings and water pump arrived also a lovely customer with a mk3 golf gave me £5 tip after i fixed her golf so i want and picked up a non AC aux belt :)

Rods
    B ends
    Head gasket and bolts
    Belt kit
    thats what left to order, waiting on funds to clear in the bank then the next round of ordering starts :)

i really cant wait now
  36. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Mar 19, 2013]
    Where did you get the rings so cheap dude?
  37. phil miller

[Mar 19, 2013]

kevin coopers motor factors in tavistock dude, if you want a set I can get them and send them up mate
  38. phil miller

[Mar 21, 2013]
    Ok so im rough as fook today, sent home from work, crashed on the sofa and thought, bugger i need to do something, so after much thought, coffee and pills (the headache type :) ) i took myself, blanket and coffee into the dinning room, sat at the table and decided to refit my cams :)

I thought even if it takes me all day i will have got something done, so i got it all laid out, and made a start

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and all finished :)

[​IMG]

Id got a new VVT gasket and half moon aswell, to be on the safe side

Ive also fitted a VVT unit (thank you J-rod) as the VVT can be used to aid timing, as it was in bits i thought it best to fit one as Ron is wired up for it but Niki mapped it out last time, so when i go back once Ron is running i will ask him to tweak the map alittle

Chain is all set up although counting to 16 has always been an issue even worse when im not well (im joking ofcourse i can count to 16 :) )

so its going ok, not long now :)
  39. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Mar 21, 2013]
    Good work Phil.

we can all tell your determind, Not even the deadly manflu can hold you down! ;)
  40. phil miller

[Mar 21, 2013]
    Lol, i just wanna drive it again :) ive done about 900 miles in it since August last year and all bar 4 weeks of use its been in bits :( but i feel im almost there :)