A3 Quattro build thread

So what is it that puts you off? The complexity? Much more space in the A3's bay compared to an ibiza. With a top mount, I'd go for one.

yea, need to find all the bits needed, and find the money for it :crying:

well i've had two quotes for turbo kits now, the gt kit, and stage3 ihi. both £3kplus. after reading HTC's thread and seen price for ihi kit, i'm tempted to go down that route.
ihi kit, plus fitting and mapping should be about £4k (thats what i paid on my golf).
miles cheaper than a 400bhp kit.
be intresting to compare it to my old golf, a3 will have 82mm bore and 4wd!
and i've got new rods and valves to drop in too
thanks HTC for a good build thread :yes:

Mitubishi td05 will get you over 400bhp. Direct bolt on to the kit I have (this is my next upgrade if I get bored of mine). I would head for over 350bhp as I've driven a 4wd audi with similar power to mine and its not enough IMO due to transmission losses.

Not sure how much jabba's garrett ihi hybrid costs. If you can fit it yourself, you will save loads. Just shout if you need any info.

transmission losses make that much difference? ideally, i'd like the a3 to be as quick and as nice a drive as my mk4 golf was with ihi.....

Ask around for some power graphs for 4wd. Haldex does seem to steal a fair bit of power. 4wd is going to be great at getting the power to the road and will drive great, but you need a little more to get the same shove in the back as a 2wd IMO.

as long as it drives nice, i'd be happy tbh. need to keep kinda sensible what with fuel costs etc....
want something more than ko3/4 could offer.
and the ihi on golf was a real nice drive, didnt struggle for grip (no diff!) and real smooth. (custom code maped, badger5 kit)

Rods and valves are good for peace fo mind. Nice to make good use of them though :) See if you can get a go in one of the demo cars that these companies have.

Slightly off topic, how was the idle on your IHI golf? Mines a little lumpy. I'm taking it back for a tweak in that area.

I don't struggle getting the power down in my car either. Works well.

idle wasnt like standard, occasionly kept hunting. nothing major though.
i've got the rods valves and pistons sat in the garage, so there going it along with a new clutch and flywheel. exhaust needs replacing anyway. plus new cat. want to get it all done in one go ideally

sorry to hi-jack the thread but when you say the Mitubishi TD05 turbo bolts straight on, does it bolt onto the OE downpipe and manifold for K04? or will it need to be changed?

No, the misubishi turbos are the same fitment as IHI VF series. They are also alot stronger with regards to bearing life under high heat conditions. Many people who have had VF34s move onto them for extra power and reliability.
Having said that, IHI are fine if you don't run silly boost.

i'd only want 1.2bar max from ihi. it worked fine, problem free whilst on car before

Bolts onto the IHI manifolds! No, the TD05 wont fit the stock mani

**update**
finally got round to buying supertech springs and retainers, and just collected vibratechnic engine mounts. all thats needed now, is clutch and flywheel. can get engine built at last!!

my 82mm pistons are up for sale now (see classifieds) and i'm going to stick with standard bore. will keep cost of build down and make life easier.

new pistons here now, all engine parts collected!! awaiting build date, mid october i would have thought.
turbo is now likely to be a GT30. 400+bhp and 4wd!

also paid for new exhaust mani today! T3 and external gate:yes:

pics will be posted as soon as engines built, tho there wont be a lot to see.

i'll try geting some pics up of new manifold later tonight.

i hope it goes well too!

vids will defo be posted. will be up and running early new year all being well.
might sneak in a quick run down a runway near me:whistle2:

i think so mate. already had 2 turbo kits from bill. no compaints with either.

update! engine build starting on monday (17th) november
need to get new parts run in nicely then.
can start colecting parts for turbo kit then

not an exciting update, but engine is now fully built and all run in. i've managed to swap my head for a ported smallport one. feels a little nicer drive now. vibrations from vibratechnic engine mounts have settled down too. hardly noticeable now, thats after 500ish miles.

thats one big step out the way.....

yeah just a little step mine aint even run in yet got a fuel pump sitting in front of me that needs fitting then i can take it for mapping

i wish you'd get yours mapped mate! be intresting to see how it goes! you standard bore? or gone bigger?

The metal water pump you mentioned earlier in the thread, what is it good for (compared to the plastic OEM)? Do you have a link to a seller?

i think gsf etc do them. the plastic ones tend to break up.
the one that came off my old golf had a few cracks in...

other thing to consider is if the metal blade pump breaks for any reason, the engine will be totally fecked..... i chose to go for plastic the last cambelt service for that reason, plastic breaking up wont cause nowhere near that damage

I thought the metal blade water pump was a kinda recall thing? Well I was advised to get the metal one when I had the cambelt changed. Its all ifs and buts I guess but id imagine a plastic one is more likely to give up than a metal one?

if either of them broke, i'd imaine they'd both do damage,but after seeing the cracked plastic one that come off my golf, i'd rather take chance and go with the metal one.

dont vw/audi do a new plastic design now?:think:

they have changed to metal someone told me

I have just done my cambelt/water pump with genuine Audi parts and it was plastic. The stores guy told me thats all they do now. I did give GSF a call too but they said theirs were plastic too.

Information does seem to differ from stealer to stealer it would appear...

<tuffty/>

well i had my major service at the start of this year with parts direct from Audi..... plastic impeller with a newer design i believe from what i remember

i cant see the metal type breaking at all but if it does im sure it will do lots more damage than a plastic one - if Audi havent gone metal (which im almost certain they havent), then you have to ask why...there are then two views, one being they want you to replace it at a later date OR its isnt practicle

either way i decided to go the route of the car maker...

personal choice though -from what ive read I havent heard of a metal one going

lets just hope none of us find out if they break!

mat i wouldnt wish it on anyone mate..... i just prefer to keep things OEM as i trust the brand rather than the aftermarket stuff

I'll probably stick with the revised pastic design. Thanks for clearing up!!
And yeah, let's hope none of us won't find out which desing is better (or worse hehe)...

How is this engine build coming along? Eager to see/hear/watch end results :jump:

the engines built. new rods, valves, pistons, engine mounts. ported head. all fitted and ready to go. a few extra bits like new sump, (old 1 was cracked) new oil pump, head gasket, oil stem seals.

suspension and brakes all set up too.

i'm desperatly wanting to get turbo kit on now. a good 380bhp plus 4wd:thumbsup:

for those that are intrested, engine was built by badger5, turbo kit will be supplied and fitted by bill too