A3 performance issues please help

Zman6000

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have an Audi A3 1999 1.8t 180bhp. It's been remapped to apparently 210bhp but feels flat/slow?
I've fitted a double capacity intercooler and a dry panel filter ram air and a 710n recirc valve. Also replaced some silicone hoses and fitted a boost gauge. Boosts to around 14psi and tails off to around 8psi near limiter but struggles to get past 100mph??? Overboost is around 21-22psi...
Also had a new lambda sensor and genuine Audi pipes replaced near the manifold.
Any ideas solutions? Got a diag but it's not showing everything please help I'm stuck!!! In Stafford if anyone's close....

Boost leak, air leak, recirc valve weak, could be any number of things, check all you pipes and hoses, replace the recirc with standard one, n75 valve may be faulty.

The recirc valve is standard it's just the newer one which holds better boost? I have full vacuum and it boosts aswel just not sure if am expecting too much all my cars previously have been much quicker....I've checked all hoses pipes replaced a few. Battery is abit low but doubtful it's gonna be that?

Boost leak, air leak, recirc valve weak, could be any number of things, check all you pipes and hoses, replace the recirc with standard one, n75 valve may be faulty.
Oh and my diag says the n75 is working well it's clicking so.... Recirc is standard just the later one 710n....

Maybe you're turbo has seen better days, or tired actuator, the 1999 A3 is an AGU engine I believe, which was 150bhp not 180.

Maybe you're turbo has seen better days, or tired actuator, the 1999 A3 is an AGU engine I believe, which was 150bhp not 180.
It's an ajq the 180bhp and I remapped it myself to 210bhp. It's got full service history and it's on 80k lady owner before me? Actuator seems firm but could be that or turbo I guess. Wanna be sure before I chuck anymore money at it.

It's a Quattro sport apparently it's the crossover year that's why it's 180....

Seeing as you have mapped it yourself did you log anything? what did you change in the map? have you logged throttle flap position to see if its closing off? maybe not upped load tables enough?

Have you flashed the original file back on to ensure its hardware related and not mapping related?

<tuffty/>

Seeing as you have mapped it yourself did you log anything? what did you change in the map? have you logged throttle flap position to see if its closing off? maybe not upped load tables enough?

Have you flashed the original file back on to ensure its hardware related and not mapping related?

<tuffty/>
Wow tufty it was a generic map which was uploaded through a laptop from top gear tuning I'm in the trade so didn't have to pay much at all abit too technical for me there lol

<tuffty/>
I would of thought it would hit at least 120mph with ease but it really doesn't????

Ah ok... well... if it hit 120 before the map and the only thing you have done is the map then it kinda suggests maybe the map is not right? generic maps are a waste of space on a 1.8t these days tbh

Like I said... flash back the std map and see if it runs ok... difficult to diagnose this with so many unknowns..

Assumption is there was no hardware issues prior to the map being flashed on... assuming also that there are no hardware issues now then reverting back will give you some baseline.

You now need to start logging stuff to see whats going on... if you are not able to do so then you need to take it to someone who knows 1.8t's and can look at it for you on a dyno..

Please note though that K03 turbo's are all done and dusted shortly after spool... they have a biggish shove initially then die off pretty quickly... its a very small turbo and boost and torque will fall away quickly...

Not sure what you are expecting from your car but they do tend to feel a little lethargic after the initial hit..

Not getting over 100mph could be something else but a generic map may not be up for all the mods you have which is which most 1.8t's need custom mapping these days on a dyno to be able to deal with the mods and level of wear and tear our old cars inherently have now...

Need to log in VCDS to see if the ECU is pulling back because it thinks it is seeing an issue... could be there is not enough load in the relevant tables of the map to deal with the increased airflow of your mods so the ecu is pulling back to control it...

Like I said... if you believe the car to be running ok prior to the map being flashed on then you need to check what the map is actually doing... preferably on a dyno...

<tuffty/>

Ah ok... well... if it hit 120 before the map and the only thing you have done is the map then it kinda suggests maybe the map is not right? generic maps are a waste of space on a 1.8t these days tbh

Like I said... flash back the std map and see if it runs ok... difficult to diagnose this with so many unknowns..

Assumption is there was no hardware issues prior to the map being flashed on... assuming also that there are no hardware issues now then reverting back will give you some baseline.

You now need to start logging stuff to see whats going on... if you are not able to do so then you need to take it to someone who knows 1.8t's and can look at it for you on a dyno..

Please note though that K03 turbo's are all done and dusted shortly after spool... they have a biggish shove initially then die off pretty quickly... its a very small turbo and boost and torque will fall away quickly...

Not sure what you are expecting from your car but they do tend to feel a little lethargic after the initial hit..

Not getting over 100mph could be something else but a generic map may not be up for all the mods you have which is which most 1.8t's need custom mapping these days on a dyno to be able to deal with the mods and level of wear and tear our old cars inherently have now...

Need to log in VCDS to see if the ECU is pulling back because it thinks it is seeing an issue... could be there is not enough load in the relevant tables of the map to deal with the increased airflow of your mods so the ecu is pulling back to control it...

Like I said... if you believe the car to be running ok prior to the map being flashed on then you need to check what the map is actually doing... preferably on a dyno...

<tuffty/>
I mapped it because it felt kind of poor performance but perhaps because I had a 280bhp Impreza before hand I'm expecting a little to much from the little Audi? It was same before the map just crap up top end? I'll take it for a run later see how it feels and get back to you.
I don't know anyone with vcds is Stafford? And our laptop will not show certain things? Thanks for all your info by the way :)

<tuffty/>
Any 4x4 dynos local to Stafford?

I mapped it because it felt kind of poor performance but perhaps because I had a 280bhp Impreza before hand I'm expecting a little to much from the little Audi? It was same before the map just **** up top end? I'll take it for a run later see how it feels and get back to you.
I don't know anyone with vcds is Stafford? And our laptop will not show certain things? Thanks for all your info by the way :)

The 180 A3 has more or less the same engine/turbo as the 150... 180's were the realm of the quattros as they are heavier so VAG boosted the output a bit to keep the performance figures comparable to the 150 FWD cars

The K03 is a smaller turbo than the scooby has.. S3's with bigger K04 turbo's are more comparable in that context...

Look at teh VCDS section of the forum... there is a VCDS user map there that should help

Any 4x4 dynos local to Stafford?

You don't need a 4x4 dyno on an A3/S3 quattro as its a haldex car... pull fuse 31 to run on a 2wd dyno...

<tuffty/>

The 180 A3 has more or less the same engine/turbo as the 150... 180's were the realm of the quattros as they are heavier so VAG boosted the output a bit to keep the performance figures comparable to the 150 FWD cars

The K03 is a smaller turbo than the scooby has.. S3's with bigger K04 turbo's are more comparable in that context...

Look at teh VCDS section of the forum... there is a VCDS user map there that should help

You don't need a 4x4 dyno on an A3/S3 quattro as its a haldex car... pull fuse 31 to run on a 2wd dyno...

<tuffty/>
Ok any links to point me in the right direction?
Am off to dyno daze then again see what things pushing out.... Prob 120bhp lol
So can you run the car permanently in 2 wheel drive or will it cause damage? Be fun front wheel drive and your right I think mines a ko3s so pretty poor power band but I heard you have to swap inlets etc to put a ko4 on? :(

Ok any links to point me in the right direction?
Am off to dyno daze then again see what things pushing out.... Prob 120bhp lol
So can you run the car permanently in 2 wheel drive or will it cause damage? Be fun front wheel drive and your right I think mines a ko3s so pretty poor power band but I heard you have to swap inlets etc to put a ko4 on? :(

I wouldn't run it permanently FWD... it will end up damaging the haldex... its ok for short runs on a dyno but even with it all working the car runs FWD until the haldex needs to kick in.... you won't really get much benefit from it either as it still carries the weight penalty of a quattro over its FWD

You don't need to swap inlets to fit a K04 but there are alternatives out there if you want more power... K03 hybrids that have potential for 300hp are available and with the right mods are capable of realising up to 300hp... you would need to change things like the downpipe, injectors, TIP and use the S3 MAF housing (amongst other things) to do it properly... you would also need to look at changing the rods... one of the 1.8t's Achilles heels is rods... on a spiky little turbo like the K03 its fair to say its a bit of a risk not to consider them...

<tuffty/>

I wouldn't run it permanently FWD... it will end up damaging the haldex... its ok for short runs on a dyno but even with it all working the car runs FWD until the haldex needs to kick in.... you won't really get much benefit from it either as it still carries the weight penalty of a quattro over its FWD

You don't need to swap inlets to fit a K04 but there are alternatives out there if you want more power... K03 hybrids that have potential for 300hp are available and with the right mods are capable of realising up to 300hp... you would need to change things like the downpipe, injectors, TIP and use the S3 MAF housing (amongst other things) to do it properly... you would also need to look at changing the rods... one of the 1.8t's Achilles heels is rods... on a spiky little turbo like the K03 its fair to say its a bit of a risk not to consider them...

<tuffty/>
Ok buddy, I didn't mean for quickness I just meant for fun spin the front wheels etc... Lol
I was told the ko4 wouldn't fit without a ton of mods? What would you advise for the turbo? I may just buy an s4 b5 as I know remapped there really quick be much quicker than an a3 :)

Kinda slow aswel though arnt they? And I can't find one for the right money and mileage? Standard s4 5.5 o-60 scooby speeds

S3 would do it in that if it wasn't gear limited... the gearbox ratios are a tad high and on a std rev limit you have to change into third to get it over 60..

S3 will be easier and cheaper to maintain but that said the 2.7v6 is a lovely engine :)

<tuffty/>

And extremely expensive to maintain, let alone tune, even worse reliability than an S3.

<tuffty/>
Hi tufty major issue today defatted the car drove mint lots of boost then only boosting to 5psi??? Any ideas? :(

Reactions: IPG
S3 would do it in that if it wasn't gear limited... the gearbox ratios are a tad high and on a std rev limit you have to change into third to get it over 60..

S3 will be easier and cheaper to maintain but that said the 2.7v6 is a lovely engine :)

<tuffty/>
Also the faults codes are, maximum boost pressure reached, charge canister something and air flow. I've just pulled the map back off and resent it off including all mods fingers crossed they can tweak it and sort it for me

Hi tufty major issue today defatted the car drove mint lots of boost then only boosting to 5psi??? Any ideas? :(

Yes... its broken...

Decatted lol

Doh!..

Also the faults codes are, maximum boost pressure reached, charge canister something and air flow. I've just pulled the map back off and resent it off including all mods fingers crossed they can tweak it and sort it for me

That will be the problem... sadly inevitable with this type of mapping... needs doing on a dyno where your car can be logged and mapped to suit how your engine is running not based on some generic map or what some other fella had..

<tuffty/>

Yes... its broken...

Doh!..

That will be the problem... sadly inevitable with this type of mapping... needs doing on a dyno where your car can be logged and mapped to suit how your engine is running not based on some generic map or what some other fella had..

<tuffty/>
Erm switch on and off then full boosts again? Had a different map put on it now. Much quicker but on over boost it drops off to 5psi again? Drive it hard and there's no problem :/

I've just added a good 30 BHP to my wifes A3 Quattro sport by freeing up the back brakes :) , car feels about half a ton lighter now :) they were binding on quite badly....just age i guess

Had a different map put on it, rev limiter raised, o2 off, and tweaked for my mods much quicker but still a prob on overboost? Maximum charge pressure reached al plug the scanner in later and see what it comes up with

Need to log boost request vs actual in VCDS to see what its asking for... its plausible that there is a hardware issue that mechanically affecting boost control and the map can't cope... this is a common issue when mapping this way..

<tuffty/>

Need to log boost request vs actual in VCDS to see what its asking for... its plausible that there is a hardware issue that mechanically affecting boost control and the map can't cope... this is a common issue when mapping this way..

<tuffty/>
Diag is playing up stuck on update arghh!! And my handheld code reader doesn't read any codes from it? Anyone local to Stafford with a vag com? Be a big help and I'll sort them out aswel....

Need a registered version of vcds to log block 115..

Check the vcds section as they have a map of users with vcds

<tuffty/>

Need a registered version of vcds to log block 115..

Check the vcds section as they have a map of users with vcds

<tuffty/>
Hey tufty got my diag working and got the codes here....
IMG 0967

Been told it's common that a decat pipe will make the turbo spoil to quickly to control so the most common fix is mbc? All my turbo'd cars have done the same after decat other than my Renault 5 no ecu or boost controls lol and my Impreza was the only one which was sorted with a mbc (manual boost controller/bleed valve)