A3 1.8 TFSI and general S-Tronic query

BG

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an Audi TT for a while (sport, 2.0 s-tronic) and I loved the gearbox with the almost instantaneous gear changes with a little "blip" as the gear changed. I'm thinking about an A3 1.8 TFSI with S-tronic as my next car, but from the videos I've seen on Youtube, the gear change doesn't look as quick / aggressive as I remember on the TT?

Here's a vid of the A3 1.8 TFSI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTrOQ-4zlEk

The shift doesn't look as quick, and there's certainly no "burp", but maybe I'm remembering differently?

Is the s-tronic in the 1.8 TFSI "less aggressive" or not as quick as it is on the TT and S3? Does the 1.8 TFSI have that "burp" between shifts? Any help much appreciated.

I think it did... (I only had it for a couple of months).

I think it did... (I only had it for a couple of months).

I'm sure someone else on here will be able to explain the specific differences, but from what I have heard the 6-speed wet clutch S tronic is supposed to be better/faster. The 1.8 TFSI gets a 7-speed dry clutch, which apparently isn't as good.

Personally I find the 7-speed fine, and I think I would rather have the extra gear due to lower revs and better economy on the motorway!

Hi all,

I had an Audi TT for a while (sport, 2.0 s-tronic) and I loved the gearbox with the almost instantaneous gear changes with a little "blip" as the gear changed. I'm thinking about an A3 1.8 TFSI with S-tronic as my next car, but from the videos I've seen on Youtube, the gear change doesn't look as quick / aggressive as I remember on the TT?

Here's a vid of the A3 1.8 TFSI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTrOQ-4zlEk

The shift doesn't look as quick, and there's certainly no "burp", but maybe I'm remembering differently?

Is the s-tronic in the 1.8 TFSI "less aggressive" or not as quick as it is on the TT and S3? Does the 1.8 TFSI have that "burp" between shifts? Any help much appreciated.

The two cars you mention use different s-tronic gearboxes. The 2.0 TT uses the 6-speed wet-clutch s-tronic. The 1.8 TFSI uses the dry-clutch 7-speed s-tronic. The 7-speed in generally reckoned not to be as good as the 6-speed. Which one is used depends on the torque output of the engine and if it's quattro. If the 1.8TFSI you are thinking of is going to be a quattro then you will definitely get the 6-speed wet clutch version otherwise it will be the 7-speed dry clutch.

I am currently on my fourth A3 2.0TDI with the 6-speed clutch and they have all be just as you describe your experience with the TT. Very good and very quick changing, in manual or auto mode. My wife test drove a 1.4 Polo some time ago and did not rate the 7-speed DSG/s-tronic as anywhere near as good as the 6-speed she has used in my car. I have never driven with a 7-speed so I cannot comment.

If you want the same 6-speed s-tronic as was in the TT then you choice is, 1.8TFSI quattro, or 2.0TDI-150 or 2.0TDI-184 quattro or S3 quattro. All the other A3 models use the 'cheaper' 7-speed s-tronic.

my 7-speed S-tronic 180bhp runs flawlessly. Recommended, but I haven´t tried the 6 speed S-tronic. In the new 2014 Danish price list, the 180bhp tfsi quattro S-tronic is now listed as a7-speed, formerly it had the wet 6-speed. Wonder if it is a mistake?

Thanks for all your help guys, I've been looking up 6 and 7 speed stronic differences - looks like it's a can of worms!

my 7-speed S-tronic 180bhp runs flawlessly. Recommended, but I haven´t tried the 6 speed S-tronic. In the new 2014 Danish price list, the 180bhp tfsi quattro S-tronic is now listed as a7-speed, formerly it had the wet 6-speed. Wonder if it is a mistake?

Thanks - do you get the pop / burp sound when you shift with the paddles?

Not at all. Paddle shifts are just as silent as automatic shifts. In "S" mode, the shifts are more clunky, but the engine roar makes you forget it :drool:
can of worms: The 7-speed DQ200 does´t have the best reputation, but VW/Audi claims that changing the oil from synthetic to mineral oil solves the problems. I am going to discuss this with my dealer when the winter wheels get stored. Anyway, mine has done 17kkm with no mishaps whatsoever.

Thanks for all your help guys, I've been looking up 6 and 7 speed stronic differences - looks like it's a can of worms!

No pops or burps :( but that is down to the nature of the car, it is not designed as an out and out racer so the exhaust is not as open as say an S3 but designed to be more civilised. That said the engine does give a nice throttle blip on the down change in Sport Mode so maybe with an exhaust change things could be different ;)

I do agree with felsby in the fact that my 7 speed has been flawless and a lot of fun. I think flooring it off the line in 1st should be more dramatic with a better punch in the back but that could be more due to traction being front wheel drive only, however the result is zero torque steer :D

No pops or burps :( but that is down to the nature of the car, it is not designed as an out and out racer so the exhaust is not as open as say an S3 but designed to be more civilised. That said the engine does give a nice throttle blip on the down change in Sport Mode so maybe with an exhaust change things could be different ;)

I do agree with felsby in the fact that my 7 speed has been flawless and a lot of fun. I think flooring it off the line in 1st should be more dramatic with a better punch in the back but that could be more due to traction being front wheel drive only, however the result is zero torque steer :D

Ack I quite liked the small burp of the shift on the TT.

I'm looking forward to it, can't wait to get my order in for an A3 1.8 TFSI 180. The cabin is a gorgeous place to be.

Had both the 6 speed and 7 speed box and total rubbish the 7 speed isn't as good.

No differences at all in day to day driving.

Reactions: Fanoe and felsby
Had both the 6 speed and 7 speed box and total rubbish the 7 speed isn't as good.

No differences at all in day to day driving.

Thanks - what about shifting with paddles? Same speed as the gears change?

The Sport Mode is so good there is no real need for the paddles TBH except making you feel like an F1 driver! So for that reason alone I enjoy using them lol ;)

Reactions: Jeff777LUFC
Ack I quite liked the small burp of the shift on the TT.

I'm looking forward to it, can't wait to get my order in for an A3 1.8 TFSI 180. The cabin is a gorgeous place to be.

You will love it :D the cabin is stunning, it's a fantastic place to be :)

Pop it into comfort mode for super smooth and respectable cruising, then when you feel like a bit of fun drop it into Sport and you can enjoy a spirited drive.

I know what you mean about the burps, I came from an Impreza with big dramatic pops bangs and even flames on the gear change, but the exhaust still has a nice fruity rasp to it when opened up ;)

Yep just as fast. Been out in my A1 185 today and had a little play with the paddles and it's quick