A VAG-COM miracle

sebbelcher

Reaction score
So today has been a day of strange happenings.

As you may have read, my headlight bulb had repeatedly blown so I decided to have one last punt with VAG-COM and see if I could find the cause. To my utter surprise it worked and duly pumped out a whole heap of codes, too many to comprehend and most relating to that coil-pack problem I had a while ago.

However one stood out:
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

So a had a quick browse round the net and read about disconnecting the MAF to see if it improves performance. So I did, I ran the engine and it didn't sound great, definately no improvement, then the ESP (yes ESP weird!) light came on the dash so I panicked and switched off, reconnected the MAF and cursed myself for being so adventurous. I restarted the ignition and to my relief the ESP light went out, still wasn't running too good though.

Next I VAG-COMed in and deleted all the fault codes and left the car for about an hour.

So later on I had to go to the shops, as soon as I started the car I noticed a difference, the idle was smoother, the enginer quieter and then when I started driving, the biggest grin came accross my face! :) It was like I was driving a new car! Acceleration was smooth, the turbo was acting like a turbo should, engine noise dramatically reduced.

I have no idea how this happened, perhaps disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF forced the ECU to recalibrate... who knows... but I am a happy man.

So after my little trip I ran the fault codes one more time, so this is only after about 3 miles. This time just a couple, so I'd appriciate any hints:

Code:
Tuesday, 03 November 2009, 15:08:25

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 909 518 AL

Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT         0002

Software Coding: 0011504

Work Shop Code: WSC 00672

1 Fault Found:

18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster

P1654 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, 03 November 2009, 15:08:50

Control Module Part Number: 8H0 920 950 D

Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB4 D16

Software Coding: 00401

Work Shop Code: WSC 01234

Additional Info: WAUZZZ8H14K003492     AUZ6Z0C0115644

1 Fault Found:

01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)

30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

Tuesday, 03 November 2009, 15:08:00

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 907 279 E

Component and/or Version: int. Lastmodul  RDW 0305

Software Coding: 00001

Work Shop Code: WSC 00672

1 Fault Found:

00532 - Supply Voltage B+

52-10 - Supply Voltage Too High - Intermittent

Cheers.

It's most likely that by reconnecting the MAF it now has a better connection. Resistance in the connector from corrosion or oxidisation can cause running problems.

By the way the ESP light on with other faults such as MAF or misfires etc is common. Ridiculous, but common!

When you clear codes it resets the ECU to factory perameters, so it will run in normal mode( ie not limp) and it will also be in adaption mode learning fueling and timing variables. Hence the nice smooth car