a/c inop, this sensor missing!

glenandem

Reaction score
hi guys after recently doing my cambelt i noticed that the sensor in the side of the rad was actually missing, now im thinking of getting a new one and getting it regassed to see if it will work after that but should there be a valve core in the middle of the hole where the sensor screws onto the side of the rad?

are you on about the pressure sensor? got a pic? when you say rad do you mean ac condenser?

Here's pic pal,I've replaced this sensor on other cars in the past and they've had like a schrader type valve like on car wheels with the centre pin in and this looks like its missing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 275
Just bumping this up as its something I'm going to sort now the weather getting warmer, if anyone can help by letting me know if I should have a valve core in the centre if the hole where you screw the ac pressure sensor on would appreciatte it, cheers glen

I would expect it to have a core so the sensor can be replaced without the charge however since your a/c has been open to atmosphere you will need replace the switch then have it pressure tested ,compressor oil and the drier changed ,system evacuated and charged before you spend loads replace the sensor and have it pressure tested with ofn (oxygen free nitrogen) as you may have leaks on top of your missing switch.

hi mate after investigationive foundit should have a shrader type valve core so mines missing,not sure why?
wondering if i can just put a valve core out of a innertube etc or whether theyre a special part or maybe i can just fit a new pressure sensor but will have to drain the system if it ever gets faulty?

Hi the cores are of the same construction however I think they are likely to be a different size I don't even think the cores I have are the correct size however core kits can be bought I will have a look to see what I can see , you could just by the switch and get the oil and drier changed and recharged as your system could have further issues

Last edited:
would really appreciatte that matey, i was dying today with this heat in the car!
hopefully it will rain tomorrow lol

Found various kits via google but no guarantee they will fit when I was doing automotive a/c any parts I found faulty/damaged were replaced by the mechanics then re commissioned by me so I never replaced valve cores on a/c.

cheers pal,think im just gonna get a new g65 and o ring and fit it, if i ever need to remove the g65 i will have to get the system drained down as thats what the shraders there for i suppose so you dont have to drain the ac system!

cheers pal,think im just gonna get a new g65 and o ring and fit it, if i ever need to remove the g65 i will have to get the system drained down as thats what the shraders there for i suppose so you dont have to drain the ac system!

To be honest you can't really trust the cores not to pass I have had them stick when removing hp switches with 15 bar of liquid behind them as you unscrew them you allways have it on your mind that it might not hold or as your on the last thread it might be missing ,
at least with car a/c R134 is at a relatively low quantity and pressure interested to hear how your system runs after being open to atmosphere for a while hopefully it run well.