A/c delete

Ben2487

Reaction score
Since I fitted my intercooler my a/c button won't stay on so I assume it's not engaging the pump as it's low on gas or similar. I've been driving around for a few weeks now with no air con and it doesn't really bother me just have to wait 2 seconds longer for the windscreen to defrost so I'm considering doing a delete if it's not too much work.

The way I see it pros are weight as I've heard the pump is quite heavy and my intercooler will have more and colder air.

Cons wise my intercooler will take a hammering like my Condenser has with stone chips and obviously day to day with no a/c which doesn't bother me.

I think the decider will be If it's a major job or not do I remove the pump and buy an off the shelf smaller belt?

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine it would be a case of removing the compressor, pipework, condenser and fitting the smaller belt as you've said. At a guess I'd say you'd save up to 10kg including the gas charge of about 600/700g.

Unless you race this car competitively I don't think it's worthwhile at all. When I bought my Impreza a few years back someone had taken all the AC parts out. I put it back in and got it going again and it has a huge intercooler and is a forged 2.1 engine circa 400bhp. Makes little to no difference to a road going car having it removed and in my opinion devalues the car. Our summers can get pretty hot and you know what it's like sitting in traffic getting ****** without AC. I know it's only hot for a small portion of the year but it's a great thing to have.

Keep it in and get the gas leak fixed!

Reactions: Ben2487
I would imagine it would be a case of removing the compressor, pipework, condenser and fitting the smaller belt as you've said. At a guess I'd say you'd save up to 10kg including the gas charge of about 600/700g.

Unless you race this car competitively I don't think it's worthwhile at all. When I bought my Impreza a few years back someone had taken all the AC parts out. I put it back in and got it going again and it has a huge intercooler and is a forged 2.1 engine circa 400bhp. Makes little to no difference to a road going car having it removed and in my opinion devalues the car. Our summers can get pretty hot and you know what it's like sitting in traffic getting ****** without AC. I know it's only hot for a small portion of the year but it's a great thing to have.

Keep it in and get the gas leak fixed!

Down in wales we are lucky to get enough sun to call it summer lol but I get what your saying. I have a van for work so on really use the car on the odd evening and weekend so it wouldn't bother be either way and if I was to remove it I'd keep all the parts like I have with the rest to go back standard when I sell it.

My main reason for asking was If the pump was shot and going to cost hundreds I would rather take it off and spent the money else where on the car but if it's only a case of re-gas I'll leave it there.

I'll hopefully buy a few more parts this year and fit the clutch so I'll have a good look at what's the problem then and if I keep the a/c I'll fit a new condenser as the one I have had had a bettering with stone chips and may very well of caused the gas leak.

Get the car read. Could be the switch, c quite common on these..mine needed replacing

Get the car read. Could be the switch, c quite common on these..mine needed replacing

I've got carista, so I'll have to run it and see what I get back .... cheers

Don't forget that the air-con/ climate control (when switched on) does as much work de-humidifying the air inside the vehicle as it does heat it or cool it.
Therefore on a wet day with air-con on the car won't steam up as easily, remove the system and in colder/wetter weather you'll forever have misted up windows.....

I had the same problem with my aircon, turned out to be the pressure switch which was only a few quid fitted. very common problem

Cheers
Dave w