Upgrading symphony head unit

darkside

Reaction score
Hi, i have an 06 A3 and it has the symphony 6 disc changer head unit with tape deck but im looking to change it to the newer head units without the tape deck just til i can afford a RNS-E, can anyone help me with the wiring cos they are different size fittings on the back? cheers

I did the same last month, a big improvement on looks
you'll need a fakra adapter which converts the harness from ISO to the bigger multiplug, an aerial adapter and to get the proper reception you'll need to swap the 2 aerial amps inside the tailgate

you'll need a fakra adapter which converts the harness from ISO to the bigger multiplug,

That's not a FAKRA adaptor, that's a QUADLOCK adaptor. -The FAKRA adaptor is what you'll need for the antenna.

As mentioned, you should indeed also replace the two antenna boosters in the rear hatch (one above the hatch window, one below) and extend one of the fakra connections in there. -The two use very different diversity detection (switched diversity versus phase diversity) and if you don't replace the antenna boosters it MAY be fine (likely if you live in a region with lots of signal strength), but you'll likely be using only one antenna instead of two.

But other than that, (and you can try it and see before you make the decision) the above info is correct.

Keith

By the way... if you find someone who is moving from Concert 2+ to RNS-E, you can swap antenna boosters with them. -Then you'll BOTH get proper reception.

Keith

Thanks, do you know where i can get the adaptors from and roughly how much they cost?

Does anyone know about these quadlock adatptors i need to upgrade my headunit? also i have the audi bt phone setup will i need adaptors for this or should it be ok? thanks