MOT Time

K16-MYK

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the S3 scene, picked up my Ming Blue 8L a couple months back - And lovin it. MOt though, is comin up quite soon, so thought I'd post up and see what like.

Is there any common defects that occurs in them I.e Emmissions, Roll Bar Bushes, Droplinks etc?

Just to gimme a rough idea of what to expect?

Only thing I have my suspicions bout at the moment is a slight creakin coming from the N/S/R, assuming it's possibly a Rear ARB Bush or Axle Bush perhaps?

Any info appreciated :w00t:

If its a rear spring and only broken a little bit, then you can cut it square with a grinder and a skinny disk and refit.

Did one on the A4 yestarday, its now sitting a nice 10mm lower on that corner, so i'm going to take the same amount (3/4 of a coil) off the other side to match it up :)

Haha, hope it's not a broken spring as it's brand new coilovers that are on:motz:

If its a rear spring and only broken a little bit, then you can cut it square with a grinder and a skinny disk and refit.

Did one on the A4 yestarday, its now sitting a nice 10mm lower on that corner, so i'm going to take the same amount (3/4 of a coil) off the other side to match it up :)

Bodge job mate, it may be ok on your own car that you drive, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

you are literally insane, i just chundered ... everywhere!

why is that insane, aslong as the coil sits in the location slot, Only thing you would have to check is that your spring cant pop out if you top out the suspension on the rear. Which can be seen when jacking the car... I love your bodge:applaus:

As long as the spring is parallel its perfectly fine.

If it has pigtails then yes, its dodgy, but the rear springs on the A4 are parallel. I will admit though that i had no idea what the A3 springs are like, and it turns out they're infact pigtailed, so it wouldnt be advisable.

A spring is a spring, the fact i've made it 3/4 of a coil shorter makes no difference to its operation so long as it still fits correctly into the mounting points, which in my case it does.

When the car is jacked up, the spring is still under preload, so thats not a problem either. Its not a bodge, IF its done correctly, which in this case it has been.

I apologise for suggesting it could be done on an A3, without knowing all the facts!

Last edited: