What flavour is my 2.8Q

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
So I'm having this issue with the ABS warning light and 3 long beeps permanently coming up on my 97 B5 2.8Q. Trying to scan it with VAGCOm which used to work fine, now forced to upgrade to VCDS and it's now saying my car is not OBDII compatible. I'm using the same cable I used before, which is a KKL VAG-COM OBDII ebay one. What am I doing wrong?

Your car isnt obd2 compatible sadly, olny post 2001 cars were required to be over here. The yanks had obd2 at the inception due to different regulations.

Your Vagcom/VCDS should find your car using the KKL side and KWP2000 communication. Have you tried going back to Vag-com instead of the new VCDS release?

I have 311.2 shareware here if you want it, as it's possible Rosstech are not supplying it any longer

Ok thanks. The VAGCOM I had was the shareware version, although I bought the $99 licence but never registered it. Came to register it this weekend and couldn't thus had to upgrade to VCDS.
So the cable I have is both OBDII & KKL? Sorry never done anything with VAGCOM other than a basic scan, so worried now that I have the wrong cable. I know I should post this in the VCDS section but thought I'd get a more B5 focussed response here.

in theory, if the cable says so, no reason to asume different.

It's a different comminication protocol K line to OBD2. Seeing you have bought the license, you should now have some support from them if it's a configuration problem, maybe your software needs to be "forced" to use the old protocol

What version of vagcom have you installed?

Dumb cables, ie the ones from ebay, wont work on versions newer than 409.1

If you've installed a newer version then you'll have to switch back to 409.1 and use your licence key with that.