Keepin' It Clean - Best ways to keep your A3 looking swish?

machomanrandysavage

Reaction score
Maybe a bit of a noob question, but I'm sure there's a few opinions on here

Soon to get my black edition and people on here have complained about 'swirls' appearing on the paintwork after a while.

I'm getting it treated inside and out before I pick it up, but in general, what's the best way to keep a motor looking good in your opinion?

I've never taken my existing car to one of those petrol station brush carwashes, but I'm also a little distrustful of the £10 hand car washes you see around - can't be sure they're using the right cloths etc..

Any opinions? Wanna try and avoid those swirls! :icon_thumright:

cheers

Well firstly don't let you dealer prep it!

"Swirls" are created by any dirt/grit/contaminant being rubbed into the paint and damaging the clear coat and hazing the paint finish. Sponges are particularly bad for this because any debris is trapped between the sponge and paintwork and rubbed in. A wash mitt has a deep pile to absorb dirt and lift it away from the paintwork.

Get on to www.detailingworld.co.uk there's loads of advice and really helpful guys over there.

A few things you can do:

Always pre-rinse your car with a hose as a minimum
Don't use sponges, get a wash mitt
Don't use chamois leathers, get some microfibre drying towels
Adopt the Two Bucket Method (TBM) one filled with your shampoo mix, one with clean warm water. After you've washed one panel rinse your mitt in the plain water bucket before returning to the shampoo bucket.
Wash your wheels separately to the rest of the car

Well firstly don't let you dealer prep it!

"Swirls" are created by any dirt/grit/contaminant being rubbed into the paint and damaging the clear coat and hazing the paint finish. Sponges are particularly bad for this because any debris is trapped between the sponge and paintwork and rubbed in. A wash mitt has a deep pile to absorb dirt and lift it away from the paintwork.

Get on to www.detailingworld.co.uk there's loads of advice and really helpful guys over there.

A few things you can do:

Always pre-rinse your car with a hose as a minimum
Don't use sponges, get a wash mitt
Don't use chamois leathers, get some microfibre drying towels
Adopt the Two Bucket Method (TBM) one filled with your shampoo mix, one with clean warm water. After you've washed one panel rinse your mitt in the plain water bucket before returning to the shampoo bucket.
Wash your wheels separately to the rest of the car

brilliant advice... thanks

No problem mate, your bank account won't be thanking me if you get into detailing. There's pressure washers, snow foam, clay, boutique waxes, DA polishers, paint thickness gauges....

No problem mate, your bank account won't be thanking me if you get into detailing. There's pressure washers, snow foam, clay, boutique waxes, DA polishers, paint thickness gauges....

You speak the truth!