Superchips remap on 2.4?

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
hi guys,

Have been thinking recently, I want a little more oomph. I love the look of the car at the moment, but want a change too. Really after an S2, but proving hard to find, but found a remap on superchips website. they reckon increase of 12bhp... not much i know, but just wondering if anyone had mapped a N/A car and what experience they've had. Just wondering if it does transform a car, like people say:readit:.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

p.s. here is a linky... http://www.superchips.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&task=searchcat&Itemid=134

Hello Mate. DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY TUNING A 2.4/2.6/2.8 ENGINE..... It simply isn't worth it. I have a 2.8, and the only thing I have done is fitted a performance exhaust. It is very unlikely you will get a 12+bhp gain. Infact I doubt very much you will even notice a difference. I looked into it last year, and it is just throwing money down the pan. Your much better off spending it on a decent custom exhaust/decat.....The only B5 engines that are worth remapping, is the forced induction engines. Normally aspirated your wating your time.......Hope this helps mate,

Ollie

Pretty much as phoenix says, to get more power you need more air, and then consequently more fuel. All a remap can do is add more fuel and adjust the ignition timing. If the existing map is suboptimal, then you might gain a little, however most modern engines are pretty well tuned from the factory, because a good tune means good fuel economy and thats what everyone is striving for.

With a turbocharged car, the remap increases the boost pressure, so as a result you get a lot more air into the engine. With a N/A car you are stuck with the same amount, unless you actually modify the engine itself, ie proper exhaust manifolds, and matching exhaust system, throttle bodies, camshafts, headwork etc etc. You could get big power from a 2.4 (or 2.8) motor, but you'd spend many thousands of pounds doing it, and an off the shelf remap wouldnt feature anywhere in the spec list.

Ah, ok I will stop even thinking about it then. lol. I see your point about induction. makes sence to me now.
Thanks alot for the suggestions and more so for the explanations. Thank you!

No probs mate glad to help. I am actually very suprised Aragorn did't reccomend dropping in a V8.........