Water leak please help!!!

Twechar977

Reaction score
Hope you can help as iv tried various searches and cant see anything similar,
My A3 is dripping small amounts of water onto ground, its coming from above the gearbox on the corner of the side and back of engine, this drip happens with engine hot or cold.
it also has water condencing on the oil filler cap, its turning creamy but oil on dipstick is fine,
Is this related and only one problem or 2 seperate problems?
The car is running great and temp is normal and no back pressure coming back through header tank,
Iv just got the car and its not moved in a couple of months.

Hope you can help, regards Jim.

If you have aircon/climate control then that's purely the dehumidified water evaporating from the air going into the system.

thank m8 for the quick reply, i wish that was the answer but the car doesnt have climate control or aircon,
Have you any other ideas? regards Jim.

I'm losing coolant probably about a pint every day, i've not driven it much due to the water leak and not sure if the problem is worse on a drive.

I experienced a holed coolant pipe in that area on my S3. I'd check all your hoses by putting a little bit of pressure in to the system when cold and see if you can see if or where it is leaking.

okay so it is coolant you are leaking then. As the above said, check along all your coolant hoses, with any luck you'll find a burst hose. Log onto something like www.vagcat.com (you need to sign up but it is free) whiere you will find a diagram layout of the coolant system for your engine, this may help you to find the source.