gearbox or clutch???

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
i noticed my clutch pedal sticking slightly a few weeks back every now and then, it seemed to have stopped, until the other day. when i noticed i couldnt get out of first gear while i was sitting at traffic lights until i wrestled it out with a slight clunk!
now ive started to notice my gear changes arent as smooth as they used to be,
and then today, as i stopped at a junction behind another car, i pushed down on my clutch whilst in first gear and braked to a halt, only to find myself pulling away as i released my foot of the brake pedal, ie, even with the clutch all the way down, my car was still moving in first gear!!!
now this has happened numerous times today and i am wondering whether its my clutch, my gear-box or even worse both thats causing this!
any help, as always, will be very much appreciated,
cheers!

Not sure how the A3 is set up but it could be the slave cylinder.

hi thanks for your input mate,
its not slipping as such, just sticking, ie. the clutch pedal sometimes stays stuck down partially on the
way back up and when stopped in first, the car still tries to pull away even with the clutch pedal fully
pushed down. and ive noticed rougher gear changes also!
so do you still think it could be this master cylinder youve mentioned?
cheers again

Hi mate

Read this. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?91177-S3-2-0TFSI-Weird-Revving-Problem

Ignore the bits about replacing the clutch but check out my parts about the clutch master cylinder, It happens when the weather is cold and damp! It is a know fault with the master cylinder rubber boots.

Regards Gaz m

Yes mate

It sticks and holds the pedal slightly pushed down which makes the clutch appear to slip as its not fully engaged whilst driving!

It also can stick whilst using the clutch to change gear as normal so the clutch pedal does not come back up after you push it down to change gear so you end up stuck in gear unable to change!
This is what happened to the wife and Audi asist came out and told her about the rubber seals folding over and jaming the piston on the master cylinder.
This fault will show as one or both of the above so change the fluid and get a seal repair kit mate.
Hope this helps mate.

Gaz

thanks again for your help mate, very much appreciated!

as for changing the fluid and repairing the seals, do you think a complete
novice such as myself should attempt this, or is it a job for the proffessionals?
im not really sure where to start on this!
where could i get one of these seal repair kits you mentioned?

thanks again,
marty

Hey martin sorry to hear about you having more problems, i got my car back from the Audi VW repair centre down in bothwell (just next to the strathclyde park roundabouts) today and they did a great job the guys really know their stuff might be worth getting them to have a look at it.

Hey martin sorry to hear about you having more problems, i got my car back from the Audi VW repair centre down in bothwell (just next to the strathclyde park roundabouts) today and they did a great job the guys really know their stuff might be worth getting them to have a look at it.

i know, its never ending!!!
hope it was nothing too seriously wrong with yours!
i will definately check them out, cheers for that, appreciated!

Was just service and a timing belt. thought the flywheel had gone because it was banging away when idle but it turned out just to be a heat shield hitting the exhaust. i got a full service timing belt and water pump fitted for 440 would have cost nearly 700 from audi.

Was just service and a timing belt. thought the flywheel had gone because it was banging away when idle but it turned out just to be a heat shield hitting the exhaust. i got a full service timing belt and water pump fitted for 440 would have cost nearly 700 from audi.

good saving there mate!
so you would say they know their stuff then, will probably contact them then!
did you get the subtle courtesy car featured on their web-site?

Unfortunately not im in calderwood so it was only five mins down the road so i just got a lift, and yeah the guys were good, they are open 8 till 6. if you need a lift or picked up give me a shout, i def owe you a favour for your vag com works.

hi thanks for your input mate,
its not slipping as such, just sticking, ie. the clutch pedal sometimes stays stuck down partially on the
way back up and when stopped in first, the car still tries to pull away even with the clutch pedal fully
pushed down. and ive noticed rougher gear changes also!
so do you still think it could be this master cylinder youve mentioned?
cheers again

Mine was the slave cylinder!

Unfortunately not im in calderwood so it was only five mins down the road so i just got a lift, and yeah the guys were good, they are open 8 till 6. if you need a lift or picked up give me a shout, i def owe you a favour for your vag com works.

i might take you up on that offer!
it will probably need to be the week following next before i can book it in though!
thanks

Just had my car down to them for the same thing. Clutch pedal not coming back all the way up. They've replaced the master cylinder and it i still partially doing it. Suggestions ?

Make sure they complety purged and refilled the the clutch fluid as mine had some sludge or dirt in it as well which was also helping to make the rubber bushes stick a bit, failing this they need to check out the slave cylinder but that is still far cheaper than the clutch plates for no real reason.

Regards Gaz

Hmm, they've replaced the master cylinder and pressure filled it to get any air out of it at all and it still sticks on the way back up.

As to slave cylinder any ideas on what could be wrong there, and what type of costs to look at for this ?

They were £250 to do the master cylinder.

Hi mate

Mine had slight rust in the hydarulic fluid as well as the sticking rubbers in the master cylinder so new rubbers and clean fresh fluid sorted it out. yours may have had a combination of this but at both ends of the system ie the slave cylinder as well as the dirt and rust has to end up some where ?

I think Sarah said her problem was the slave cylinder end so I expect she can give you the info and price for that side but I expect the parts to be a lot cheaper than the master cylinder, the Audi guys just changed the rubber boots in mine but it was done under warranty so I never did get to see the final price.

Gaz