Auto light - dash light issue ?

tspar

Reaction score
Can anyone clear this up for me please. When using the "Auto" setting for your lights should the dash lights be lit all the time (day or night) or is there a sensor somewhere that decides whether they are needed or not?. If the former is the case then i have an intermittent problem where by the needles are lit and the dial back lights are off.

Any info as ever much appreciated folks.

I dont have auto lights but I thought that the setting was only for exterior lights. The interior cluster lights have several different settings that can be coded by VCDS:

17 - Instruments

Coding:

xxxxx?x
0 = Seatbelt Warning Inactive
xxxxxx?
0 = Needles OFF and Scales Off
1 = Needles ON and Scales Off
2 = Needles OFF and Scales ON
3 = Needles ON and Scales ON (Dimming active)
4 = Needles ON and Scales ON

I have auto lights on my A3 and I got the dealer to change the coding of the instruments before I took delivery so that I have Needles ON and Scales ON at all times. But as Khufu says the settings can be changed using the dealers VAS system or VCDS.

Thanks for the input chaps. My issue is however is that when i start the car the needles and Scales are all illuminated. Just recently when sat in traffic ive noticed that the scales go off leaving the needles illuminated. They have never gone off completely at night which made me think that there may be a sensor somewhere. It's certainly not a major issue but one id like sorted under warranty if it is a fault.

Cheers
Tim

There is definitely a sensor that is used to measure the ambient light level for the instruments, but I think you will find it's part of the actual instrument panel which means you would need to change the whole panel to cure any problems. Actually changing the panel is quite easily with all the connections on the back made with large multi-pin connectors but I don't suppose the panel would be cheap to buy.