help with removing rear light cluster

rygon

Reaction score
Ive got a 2006 A3 and cant work out how to remove the rear passenger light cluster (brake lights gone).
In the manual it says remove the circular plastic trim then using a philips screwdriver turn the bolt.

Well the bolt doesnt have a slot for any screwdriver. Can see a nut at the other end but can get to this (was thinking ratchet with extension but havent got a hollow extention to fit the bolt through).

Any ideas??

theres a pop away bit with a plastic hex (10mm) ratchet out and note theres a pin on the opposite end of the lights so be careful when removing them

How do you ratchet it out. I cant find a ratchet that will reach the plastic nut. Cant find any tools in the boot for it either

I used a extension on the ratchet, worked easy! You won't find tools to change the light in the boot.

The nut has a small slit in the middle which a screwdriver could fit, but I wouldn't risk screwing the nut up, get yourself a ratchet extension and stick on a 10mm end

Mine doesnt have a slit. Got a fair few extensions but theyre all solid and the bolt is about 3" long. Think i might have to make something up at work

I turned mine using my house key..in the slot

you dont have to get all the way down i only used a std quarter drive socket and it handled it, i think people have used less too

I'm guessing someone lost the original plastic screw and replaced it with a nut, that was nice of them! You're going to need a deep socket mate, but I'd buy the proper screw to fit on afterwards first.

cool, thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have a go at it tonight at work :)