Indicator bulbs

robby

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to change the indicator bulbs in the headlights? just bought some silver ones and can't see how to get to the origionals :(

thanks

I believe you have to remove the front half of the wheel arch liner to gain access to the bulb from inside the wheel arch. Basically just loads of screws to undo ( and put back ) !!

Does anyone know how to change the indicator bulbs in the headlights? just bought some silver ones and can't see how to get to the origionals :(

thanks

Hiya, only had my A3 10 days and changed my front indicators after 2 days lol. What I did, was loosen the 2 bolts that hold the headlamps in near the top, some of jiggling of headlamps and pulled them forward a bit and bingo! managed to get the cover off and replace with diadems (look like soap bubbles in the sun). Lots of scratches but well worth the effort! Looks cleaner and better. Also changed the side lights to bright whites while I was at it. Hope this helps and if I can do it........

Last edited:
Hiya, only had my A3 10 days and changed my front indicators after 2 days lol. What I did, was took out the bolts that hold the top of the bumper on under the bonnet and the 2 bolts that hold the headlamps in near the top, lots of jiggling of headlamps and pulled them forward a bit and bingo! managed to get the cover off and replace with diadems. Lots of scratches but well worth the effort! Looks cleaner and better. Also changed the side lights to bright whites while I was at it. Hope this helps and if I can do it........

Wow thats the long way round!!!

Just jack the car up, remove the 4 screws in the wheel arch liner nearest the front bumper. Pull back and you have enough room to put your arm in and change the bulb. 10 mins per side no worries!

Thanks guys, i'll have a go tommorow

Are there 2 bulbs either side for indicators? sure i saw a strange looking 1 on the inside as well as the standard 1 at the corners?

Are there 2 bulbs either side for indicators? sure i saw a strange looking 1 on the inside as well as the standard 1 at the corners?

Theres the main beam bulbs, side lights etc but only 1 indicator bulb at the outer corner.

I've used Phillips Silver Vision in mine. Its a good silver colour. I've also got some Osrams but they're a bluey colour and not as "silver", so they got dumped onto the shelf.

I did mine by removing the headlight power cable and simply loosening the headlight mounting bolts. That allowed the headlight to move just enough to reach into the wing to change the bulbs without having to fiddle with bumper or wheel arch liner.

5 mins.....

I wondered what the strange bulb was on the inside of my headlights (I have bi-xenons), until I worked out they were the day time running light bulbs lol

The genuine Phillips Silvervision are well worth the extra couple of quid over the standard eBay cheapies.

The silver effect when they are off is much better and the bulb is much brighter when its actually on. The silvering on the cheaper bulbs really affects the brightness....

I was able to change the bulbs just by getting my hand into the corner and a few scraped knuckles later, job done.

I must have really small hands..................