Exhaust Issues, Help Appreciated.

Curt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a aftermarket back box for my 1.8T, and tried to fit it yesterday while the weather was nice and I had the day off (it started so well).

Now, as I understood it there is supposed to be a join around half way between the centre section and back box. But after I got my car up and underneath, there's no join at all?! It goes over the beam from the back box, and straight to the centre.... I was a bit baffled at first as it doesn't look welded either, please see pictures below:

Photo135.jpg

Photo136.jpg

Photo137.jpg

I'm assuming it's been repaired and therefore modified at some point?

I'm also assuming that it is possible to work the centre section out in between the beam and the underneath of the car? As the only other option is cutting it half! And obviously it's been welded together off of the car....

Also the easiest way to fit it would be to remove it, cut it in the right place and then join my back box to it?

If anyone has any ideas/pointers, it would be appreciated, really would like to get it on!

Car is a 1998 1.8T.

Cheers,
Curt.

I'm trying to remember if mine had a join in it when it was taken off when i had the new one made.

Thinking about it I dont think it did.

Well if your sure there is no join, offer up your new box and mark off where to cut it off, dont forget the old pipe your gonna cut needs to fit into the new box so allow 3 or 4".

Ah okay, I was under the impression that all had a join there, going off the pictures/parts info I had seen.

There is definitely no join Nick, trust me I checked ha. But that sounds like a plan for the weekend, like you say just mark and get the angle grinder out. Thanks for the replies guys :icon_thumright: