im going for the plunge!!am i mad or what?

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
ok, following S3 Nattys question on how to change the dash colour, and the insperation i got from ssbnreso and his Needle changing LEDs, I today took apart my spare set of clocks i had to see how easy/hard it was! The DIS that was in my spare clocks was mullerd so i took it apart to learn how it was made etc etc. playing with my soldering iron, i removed LEDS and solderd them back on to once again see how hard/easy it was.

I have now decided im going to take a big **** risk and totally customise my dash.

Ordering my LEDS in the next week or so,

i will be changing 48 leds in all...

20 DIS leds, (leaving the top 10 or my warning lights will be blue!! i have aftermarket head unit so dont use that display too)
10 needle LEDS
8 trip/mileo meter LEDS
All in blue.

I was going to change the whole dash colour from red to Blue with white needles etc but my pre- faclift dials use the same LEDS to illuminate the Fuel and Temp dials and the needles. on the facelift dials these are separate! bummer!

this is what i done today..

REMOVED WHITE LEDS
SDC10802-1.jpg

got bored and wonderd how the dis came appart and wanted to learn why they f**k up like they do,
SDC10803-1.jpg

note the little orange bit on the bottom of the DIS unit. this is solderd on the opposite side of the clocks. I didnt do it this time but as i was a little hevey handed, but this is very simple to remove.
SDC10809.jpg

As my professionally drawn arrow shows there are 2 little pins that come off of this little orange bit that simply solder into a tiny ole on the bored. I removed and replaced this several times to see if it was possable without mullering it. after the 4th time of replacing it 1 of the little pins broke off as you can see. But proven it can be removed to enable me to do this....
SDC10808.jpg

Vwalla!! the very delacate DIS ribbon is still connected to the bored and under no pressure or strain to brake it! (i hope)
This now shows the 30 red LEDS i will replace with blue ones.

Not to bad i hear you say.... i there is 1 other problem. The DIS is made up of a few layers, 3rd layer down there is one of these bad boys..
SDC10815.jpg

this was the same size as the screen but i was feeling distuctive so broke it as i didnt need it no more! This is a filter to soften the brightness of the leds i think, ither way it has to go! On my 5.1 system in my bedroom i have a bright blue LED so i sized this orange thing up agaist it to see what colour the LED went... Answer, White! WTF!!! So this on my fully working DIS will have to be removed for me to change the display to blue!!

Long dot com...(lust like this thread) Its risky, but im going to give it a go. Cant say i have seen anyone else do it (if you think its chavvy or not) but i like blue!!

Watch this space!

Last edited:
I done this to my mates astra, changed every single led in the car (60+) from orange to blue, took me about 2 days but alot of that was removing panels etc. The end result looked awesome.
Good luck matey, should look pretty good!

Good luck mate. I will be very keen to see the results.

Please post some some pics... I may have to unleash the soldering Iron on mine too. :D

hats off to you for trying dude, i aint got the balls to take my dash apart, mainly because whenever ive tried in the past it never goes back the way it was before and it bugs the crap outta me :(

Good luck mate. I will be very keen to see the results.

Please post some some pics... I may have to unleash the soldering Iron on mine too. :D

Here's mine with just the needles of speedo and rev counter changed and the fuel/temp gauges:

Image087.jpg

Going to change the rest during the week and then experiment with coloured film behind the numbers, if it works out i'll be able to change the colour of the clock faces when ever the mood takes me without the hassle of changing the led's:icon_thumright:

Will keep the white needles as i think they look best that way.

Also goging to have a look at changing the coulour of the stereo!