usedturbos.net

"Journal Bearing Turbo with GT35R Compressor Wheel"

I'd want some water going through that bad boy and some roller/ball bearings to help spool below the 5k mark on a 1.8t!!!

It doesn't say much about it at all, but would be nice to have GT35R for non daily car :)

Well I have this dilemma. I have B6 as a daily and want to buy B5 for a toy.
Looking at 99+ ones.
Not sure if I should get 1.8TQ and after sorting out suspension, brakes etc. go BT with 2.0 stroke OR
go 2.8Q swap 4.2 or 2.7BT. Still 4.2 is a heavy engine but spool from 2rpm would be nice, plus this sound....
Great thing about modifying 1.8T is huge knowledge on audizine, vwortex etc.
Anyone heard about B5 with V8 from RS4 B7? :think:

my engine builder did a B7 V8 engine onto throttle bodies for a kit car. don't know how that went (other than quickly!)

if it is a track car stick to the 1.8t, LWFW, uprate the head to rev to 8.5k and stick a Gt3071/3076 on it.

If it is more road and track combo then the guts of a 2.0l stroker or V6/V8 BT would be more fun IMO.
wouldn't touch the 2.8

Anyone else than siena done here 4.2 swap to b5?
Would have some questions

Last edited:
guy on audizine did a V8 swap but its a big yank pushrod POS that he put in

Slepy: I've looked into it myself, and can probably answer most of your questions.

The 4.2 isnt as heavy as you would think, Its all alloy, so your saving a bit on the block that makes up some of the difference of the extra cylinders.

IIRC the V8 is around 200kgs, and a 1.8T (including the turbo and intercooler etc) must be around 160-170ish. I'll try and get my two engines on some scales at some point to give us an idea.

I know its still extra weight, but for a track car, an S8 engine with 340hp and the instant throttle response to me seems a better choice than a puny 1.8T tuned to 340hp.

As for using the B7 engine, i'm not sure i'd bother. A 32v S8/A8 lump, some cams and mappable management would probably come in cheaper than buying an RS4 engine, and would make most of the power in a package that we know fits in the hole.

If your going V8, the V6Quattros make excellent base cars, because they cost about 500quid and the subframe is more suited to the V8.

That's what I wanted to ask about actually.
Would it be easier to swap V8 instead of V6 or 1.8T.
To buy 1.8TQ you need to spend at least 2.5k.
You can get 2.8Q for a grand and get V8 engine for another one.
Have you looked at costs of sticking it into A4? Other than engine.
How is it with fitting V8 to V6 gearbox?
Do you mean that 4.2 will fit on 2.8 subframe?
I was wondering if it was better to stick to 2.8 at the beginning. Sort out suspension (coileys), brakes (300mm+), strip out interior
and sort out everything that needs doing to 13-14 year old car and then stick V8 in it.
Like you said, the difference in weight between V6 and V8 isn't big so 2.8 suspension should be fine with it.

What about exhaust? Lets say stick catback milltek to V6 and then just sort out manifold -> cat part after sticking V8? Or it is more complicated than that?
I cant remember exactly but I think that S8 has only one exhaust, but two pipes one? One pipe from each ex.mani? Do you go custom from mani to cat or use the s8 one?
And obviously would 2.5" one pipe exhaust be enough for 4.2.

I think that the biggest problem to sort out would be all wires.

Sorry for the amount of stupid questions. The closest thing I've ever did before was helping to stick 2.5 engine from BMW E36 to E30 so not really huge experience.
There are few questions going through my head but I will try to get answers from Siena's post when I have day off work.

It bolts streight up to the V6 (or 1.8t) gearbox.

You need a flywheel, ttv-racing do them, or you can buy an adaptor for the flexplate from 034 motorsport. these then allow you to use a standard S4 or RS4 clutch.

The V6 subframe is better, the 1.8T subframe has a "deeper" section which the engine hits. You need to slightly modify the sump casting by grinding off some ribs, but otherwise the engine fits. You will need to fabricate some engine mountings, but this isnt too difficult if you can weld.

As for the exhaust, Siena found that his V6 system bolted streight up to the V8, although this will depend on which V6 you start with (his was a 2.6) The V6 system will undoubtedly be too small though, the A8/S8 runs a twin 2.5" system right back. You'll find it will be cheaper to get a custom system fabricated, than buying a milltek etc.

The wiring is actually very simple tbh, i'm fitting an ABZ to a Landrover, and have stripped the OE harness down to remove the Autobox loom, i'm left with about 20wires that need interfaced with the car, but they're all very streight forward things. Just make sure you get the Immobox and a key with the engine, that way you can be sure to have a working immobiliser for testing.

Thanks aragorn.
I will be looking at cars for sale and see what nice will show up.
Hope to do something that will bring smile up on my face like when I had 2.8Q some years ago ;)

Chap do you have a link to youre Landy build? Im still debating engine choices for my Defender and like to look at what others have done....

Drizz: http://friesian.lr90.org/gallery2/v/90/

Thats as far as i've got so far mate! Just moved it down here a fortnight ago. Hopefully now i've got a garage and the 90's inside, i can get on with things a little more successfully.

I want to get the engine and transmission sitting down between the chassis rails, and sit the bulkhead on to make sure everything is going to fit, then i can get cracked on with the gearbox adaptor plate.

My only concern with using the ABZ (or any audi motor) for a full on challenge 90 is the sealing on the timing case. The Landrover engines are all completely sealed, so theres no way mud can get inside. The Audi motors just have a cover with a rubber seal round, but the casing is split in various places, so there is the chance that the timing belt area would end up full of muddy silt. You'd also have to look at the sump arrangements to ensure its not going to starve itself when at some crazy angle. My 90 isnt really going to be a mud plugger type thing, its more aimed at road use, greenlaning and perhaps some gentle pay and play, so i'm not too worried about these issues.