Open Sky Sunroof - Worthwhile option for new S3 ?

willmac

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback from those who have the Open Sky Sunroof.
I think it looks the dogs nuts on an Ibis White car, but it is a costly option to go for, so be good to get some comments from those who have it and maybe wished they hadn't , vice versa :ermm:

There is no better advice than from the very helpful people on this forum, cheers :happy:

Hoping to get some feedback from those who have the Open Sky Sunroof.
I think it looks the dogs nuts on an Ibis White car, but it is a costly option to go for, so be good to get some comments from those who have it and maybe wished they hadn't , vice versa :ermm:

There is no better advice than from the very helpful people on this forum, cheers :happy:

Looking at some of the comments about them on here, I'd go for a bit of black vinyl to get the same look, save some cash and avoid the creaking!

Hey

I have got the open sky sunroof on my ibis white S3, check out the pics, anyway i do think its a worthwhile option and do not regret it at all, it looks amazing first and foremost and is also great from the inside.

With regards to the creaking, mine was nothing to do with the sunroof it turns out that there were some clips missing from the roof lining on the passengers side, audi put these in and its now stopped, the only time it creaks is when there is a layer of ice formed on it which is obvious - this soon melts.

The only downside is how little the sunroof actually opens up, it looks as though both panels are gonna fully open yet its just the one above the front seats that opens, this really doesnt bother me as i spec'd the sunroof mainly based on looks

I dont think you can quite get the same visual effect with vinyl, but it is a cheaper option

Hi all, I had it on a previous Sportback and recently have ordered another with it. Never had any problems at all. Thought it was great. Got a 3 door at the mo without any sunroof and boy did I miss it this summer. Just nice to let the warm air out as well without it fully opened etc when needs be, with a bit of fresh air around the cabin. Yes it is expensive but a normal type single 'small' sunroof is around £700 anyway I think on a 3 door ( it's around £ 8 - £900 on a A4 & A5 i believe for a single type sunroof ?!!? - what the F+*# ). Anyway, looks the part as well on certain colours.

Thanks for the comments so far. That was one thing that I was thinking about , was if it is likely it would "creak" .
In my mind there is nothing worse than having a creak or a rattle, drives me nuts. I owned a 964 model 911 Targa for a good few years, I know not the best looking car with a vinyl roof and it used to creak like mad ,leaked like a sieve, but the few days you could get the roof off in a year it was worth it to hear that flat six behind you.
But back to the subject at hand, I am pleased to hear good reports about the roof so far. As you say it is not a full roof in the sense of the word but I think aesthetically and the additional light it would let into the black interior would be sweet

The only time mine has 'creaked' was when there is snow/ice on it and it was breaking up as the heat built up inside the car, melting the ice on top. I've never had any problems with it apart from the catch breaking on the sun cover, which necessitated a removal of the unit and a replacement of the entire sun cover! All covered under Audi warranty though.

The only bugbear I find is the control to open it. You press and hold, it goes halfway open, then you have to release, then press and hold again. In my original A3 that had a sunroof, you simply rotated a dial to where you wanted it open then left it to get on with it. I think the new control is a backward step IMO.

Otherwise, it's great to have it. I bought my car second hand, was just fortunate to find one with the open sky system.

G-man

Open Sky looks better from the outside than in. Got one on my S3. From the inside there is far less glass surface area than the outside - in fact from the inside, it almost looks like you have only a front a rear sunroof.... . A costly option when other manufacturers would throw such an option in as standard. My wife's car has a panoramic roof which is completely glass and far better than the Audi Open sky.

That said, I have no regrets about having open and would have this option again - don't forget ali' roof rails!

Cheers. KKP

Open Sky looks better from the outside than in. Got one on my S3. From the inside there is far less glass surface area than the outside - in fact from the inside, it almost looks like you have only a front a rear sunroof.... . A costly option when other manufacturers would throw such an option in as standard. My wife's car has a panoramic roof which is completely glass and far better than the Audi Open sky.

That said, I have no regrets about having open and would have this option again - don't forget ali' roof rails!

Cheers. KKP