Can you change the battery without losing the radio?

gadgesxi

Reaction score
I havent got my radio code and look like my battery is on its way (struggled this morning). I was thinking of leaving the battery charger connected whilst i swap batteries?

You shouldn't need a code,(assuming it is a factory fit radio and not after market) because the car should recognise the radio as it is coded specifically to your car. If you put a new radio in from another car then you would need one, but them once it has been coded via Vagcom it would be ok also.
If you go to a dealer they can get the code for you for future reference. Make sure they plug they diagnostics in though because you don't know if the radio has ever been changed. My local dealer didn't charge me to do this but some will.

I disconnected my B6 radio many times and it always went it without an issue. A big improvement over my TT where I had to put in the code each time.

dammm wished i knew that a few mths back i had to put a new starter motor on my dti so had to take the bat off
as i did not have the car long and no code i pulled it out and run a new power to the back of the head unit so it did not lock up
wonder why the man at audi did not tell me that the s**t hahahaha

Last edited:
I only ask as when i had my cluster changed, the radio asked for a code and i had to goto audi for them to get the code from germany or somthing. Plus they said they couldnt give me a copy of it for some reason.

So i disconnection of the battery wont cause any problem then?

hi gadgesxi can i ask did you pay audi for the code i no when i asked they wonted £60 pounds for it so i did not bother as its just a tape player i have at min
if you did pay i would have thought they have to give you the code as you paid for it and if it ask for the code before i think it will again but thats just what i think

hi gadgesxi can i ask did you pay audi for the code i no when i asked they wonted £60 pounds for it so i did not bother as its just a tape player i have at min
if you did pay i would have thought they have to give you the code as you paid for it and if it ask for the code before i think it will again but thats just what i think

No it was free. Warrington Audi i went to. About 4 or 5 months ago.

would have still thought they would need to give you it as you get a card with it on when you first buy the car
try calling them and ask if they still have the code they got you back then they may still have it

They told me some crap that its pluged in and coded directly so no actual code was punched in??

Also just read that a battery has to be code to the car??? what a joke! Is this true?

The batteries listed for my car are different ratings to whats in mine at the moment. Mines a 75AH. I'll check the cold crank current also later, but sure its 680.

wow i iv never heard of that before its a battery maybe true sure some one on here can shed some light on that for you and me now lol
but i would have thought you just put a new one on the car job done

Just checked the battery and it is 6 cell 75AH and 680 CCA. Also noticed some gizmo plugged into the side of the battery with a cable running to the back of the engine bay. Whats that for?

EDIT: Found out its an overflow pipe!

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2700414

Last edited:
When they got my code they gave me a print out with it on FOC.
I had a new battery a couple of months ago. I got Audi to fit it as it is a bit of a pain. They gave me a cracking price for the battery and didn't charge that much to fit it. Ideally it is better if there is two of you. The battery is heavy and it is a big stretch to lift it in.

Getting a new battery anyway locally for £47. 75 amp 600 CCA though. Phoned audi and they wanted £125 for the battery or £197 fitted !

Getting a new battery anyway locally for £47. 75 amp 600 CCA though. Phoned audi and they wanted £125 for the battery or £197 fitted !

IIRC they charged me £25 to fit it and let me have the battery at about £90. This was fitted while they had it in for other bits though and I do get on well with the parts guys!!

Spot on about newer cars, if same radio then battery change wont affect as it recognises the radio installed, older yes needs code each time.

Also best battery to look at IMHO are the Varta Silver Dynamic & audi were cheapest as most were quoting me £120 upwards, they were just shy of £70, audi suggest using the Blue Dynamic but I wanted something with a little better spec considering the electronics load in my car, obviously for the A4 maybe slightly bigger battery than my 8P but Varta have a battery finder for your car.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=100

Just got the battery but wrong one was delivered. Ended up with a 60AH 620CCA. The one thats in the car now is a 75AH 680CCA. Would i be ok with this or better to get the one i was going to get, and can get tomorrow, a 75AH 600CCA.

Yeap I concur with wheelie, get a slightly better rated unit as I did.

Replaced the battery. Radio now says SAFE and the keyfob wont open and close the doors. :(

Undo doors manually, put key in ignition & start car, see if the key then works on remote when removed from ignition as sometimes they can resync with car just by doing this, they can be resync'd via vagcom if need be.

Which radio is in the car?

i had this i cant think how i did it now think its hold the lock button till lights flash

Undo doors manually, put key in ignition & start car, see if the key then works on remote when removed from ignition as sometimes they can resync with car just by doing this, they can be resync'd via vagcom if need be.

Which radio is in the car?

Top man, keyfob now works!

The radio is a symphony II iirc. Standard fir one with a 53 A4, 6 disc build in changer/tape/sub in the boot.

phoned audi before and luckely they code my radio code on there system! Last time i asked they said i would have to come back in.

phew, hope you've written it down in 35 places and tattooed on your forearm lol you could do with getting it coded to your car with vagcom then you will never need the secutiry code if ever yo u lose power again.

at least its all sorted now buy what a load of hassle for a battery change!!!

Well at least we know that age of car/radio needs a code, must of been just before they linked radios to the car better so remembers what car it was installed in last, anyway result glad sorted.

Replaced the battery. Radio now says SAFE and the keyfob wont open and close the doors. :(

Can't be the original head unit then as all B6 HU's are CANBUS controlled, so will not lose the code unless installed in a different car.

Urm I wonder, can you test that theory again Gadge? for future reference, disconnect your battery & see if safe comes up again after a few minutes of & reconnect, if not then I'll note that incase pops up again.

not just yet, on the whisky now! if i get chance tomorrow i will, no probs. after all you helped me out :)

Urm I wonder, can you test that theory again Gadge? for future reference, disconnect your battery & see if safe comes up again after a few minutes of & reconnect, if not then I'll note that incase pops up again.

Just disconnected the battery again and i can confirm the radio required the code again, and the keyfob required pairing again. My car is a 53 A4 avant.

Interesting, cause if the radio code is entered, then you'd think its matched to the car again via the can as andy quoted, so question is do these radios only keep the original car info or do they not keep any info about the car that was last installed in, cause your test would appear to be the case, it is an earlier car so maybe the radios then didnt have that functionality yet like say the RNS-E does that I know of, I know my S3 always had to enter the code with any radio same or new.

forgot to mention and whether it matters, the car is a jap import.

I changed my battery 2001 B6 A4 ,
symphony2 HU and no recode needed at all .