TDI mileages

essex dan

Reaction score
Hi all,im new to the audi a3 but not the VAG group as ive got a 1.8t mk2 golf and had a few other vw's.im after either the 1.9tdi 110 but the ones i can afford seem to be of high mileage (100-150K ish) what i need to know is how long to these engines last? both looked after and not really looked after. what sort of problems would i expect at this kind of mileage?

The 1.9tdi is probably one of the most solid mass production engines ever built.

Been a VAG group gem of an engine used throughout their entire range, all the way from 90hp to 150hp, from a3's, a4's, a6's, golf mk3. golf mk4, bora, passat, vento, polo, octavia, fabia. They are popular because they are good.

They will do 250k+ if given regular oil changes.

Had a mk3 golf 90hp 1.9tdi with 100k on the clock when bought, owned for 4years, without a single problem with the engine. Sold with 150k on the clock.

My old mans A4 90hp 1.9tdi has 190k on the clock, owned from new, not a single problem with the engine, still going strong.

Bought an A3 110hp 1.9tdi with 180k on the clock the engine pulled cleanly, still going strong. Although everything else around it was shot.

Its a cracking engine you cant really go wrong with.

An example with ~130-140k on the clock with pretty good service history should make you proud for many years without any problem. With that kind of milage the engine will be absolutely no issue, its everything else around it you need to check. If your anal about it, all suspension/steering rubbers/bushes are likely to be "going off", shocks likely to be also, cambelt, waterpump, powersteering pump, thermostat, wheel bearings, clutch. The usual suspects.

I personally would love an A3 PD130 1.9tdi Quattro Sport, but they still demand ridiculous quantities of money.

Good luck with the purchase, and enjoy the derv MPG.

Last edited:
The 1.9tdi is probably one of the most solid mass production engines ever built.

Been a VAG group gem of an engine used throughout their entire range, all the way from 90hp to 150hp, from a3's, a4's, a6's, golf mk3. golf mk4, bora, passat, vento, polo, octavia, fabia. They are popular because they are good.

They will do 250k+ if given regular oil changes.

Had a mk3 golf 90hp 1.9tdi with 100k on the clock when bought, owned for 4years, without a single problem with the engine. Sold with 150k on the clock.

My old mans A4 90hp 1.9tdi has 190k on the clock, owned from new, not a single problem with the engine, still going strong.

Bought an A3 110hp 1.9tdi with 180k on the clock the engine pulled cleanly, still going strong. Although everything else around it was shot.

Its a cracking engine you cant really go wrong with.

An example with ~130-140k on the clock with pretty good service history should make you proud for many years without any problem. With that kind of milage the engine will be absolutely no issue, its everything else around it you need to check. If your anal about it, all suspension/steering rubbers/bushes are likely to be "going off", shocks likely to be also, cambelt, waterpump, powersteering pump, thermostat, wheel bearings, clutch. The usual suspects.

I personally would love an A3 PD130 1.9tdi Quattro Sport, but they still demand ridiculous quantities of money.

Good luck with the purchase, and enjoy the derv MPG.
If its the 90Bhp/110Bhp VE engined engine, then they will do intergalactic mileage. If its the later PD engine, then from 150k they start to go wrong. You might get the odd PD 130 engined car with 150k on the clock but they are very hard on oil and the parts are expensive when they go wrong.