Homemade carbon fibre trims...Yummy!!!!

Foxmeister

Fired Up!
Reaction score
Well ive finally managed to start work on the car again and got on with making some carbon fibre parts. Found this site when searching a few months back http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/

So ordered the skinning kit to do my door and dash trims. After buying a set of poverty spec trims to carry out task on, i started by removing the metal front casings

Picture367.jpg

Picture368.jpg

Picture369.jpg

Simple enough using a pair of pliers and bending the tabs on the rear back to remove the metal, which exposes a relatively, flat, smooth plastic trim ready for paint etc as i was originally considering.

Next, i sanded all parts with 120 grit paper to key the base area for a good contact to apply base coat onto.

Picture370.jpg

Once every area where the carbon fibre would be applied was keyed, i then mixed up the base coat with hardner and slowly applied a smooth, even coat to all parts

Picture371.jpg

At this stage, the base coat should be left around 3hrs to dry to a tacky finish ready for next stage....cue the Indian menu selection, and a bit of Harry Hills TV Burb!

Okay, now well fed and watered, this was the tricky bit. Best idea is to pre cut all pieces of carbon fibre, oversized to each part, before you start. Then, probably needing a 2nd person, you need to lay the carbon fibre slowly, and softly so as not to disturb the weave or open any gaps, then work from the middle out and run your hand gently over all areas to get it to bond. You can then trim the excess at the rear leaving about an inch to fold back and tape onto rear of parts.

Picture372.jpg

Picture373.jpg

The most tricky part was the large dash piece due to shape where the cut out is.

Picture374.jpg

Picture375.jpg

^^^You can just see the two cuts that i had to make where the trim has the cut out section, this was vital so that the weave would not pull and distort when wrapping this section around the back of the trim.

So now i have all the door and dash trims covered, but one or two had some base coat come through slightly on top of the carbon, so i left these overnight to dry properly and also it was after midnight and the mrs was giving me evils :whip: so decided to leave it there for the night

Picture376.jpg

Will continue today with applying the next few layers of top coat before lacquering and polishing to a nice shiny finish, update later on tonight!:arco:

lookin good so far
what sort of cost, what have you used and where from, quite fancy havin a go

Spot on fella, love it, good job.

Thanks guys

Cost so far is the kit from the above mentioned site, all in around £50 delivered, but only comes with around 1metre by 300mm carbon which isnt enuff for this. I already had a larger sheet which i had used on other stuff before and think that only cost £20-30 for much larger roll.
Its a very time consuming job if you want it perfect like me, but i reckon most people who are good with their hands can do it, just take time and care.

Havent made any progress since due to my wee girl no being very well so looking after her at the minute, but will likely get the next 2 top coats on and ready to polish up by tonight or tomorrow when i fit it in. Cheers.:beerchug:

Great write up. Looks like it'll be a top finish too. Excellent!

Cheers for that Ras, final polish and finish later so will get the pics up later on tonight!