Warning Lights on 2000 Plate S3.

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just had a warning light come on in the S3, which looks like this... (O). I'm not 100%, but am I right in thinking this is the brakes?

A while back, I also had another symbol pop up on the dash which I never figured out what it was before it disappeared again. I won't even try to describe it as not only was it very strange looking, but I've got pixels missing on my LCD anyway so couldn't see the whole symbol.

Is there anywhere I can look that shows a list of symbols that can appear in the display, as I've looked through the handbook etc. and can't find anything?

Cheers, Sean.

Yeah looks like the brake warning pad sign, the manual doesnt show you it which is very stupid.

It will be the brakes mate, front ones, as the back ones dont have a sensor on them, if thats any help.

Cheers guys, just needed confirmation. I was fairly certain it was the brakes... not only that, but on the way home for lunch I noticed a sign outside a garage with the symbol on it saying "Free brake inspection here". :)

So what brakes you getting to replace the tired ones?

depending on the mileage you do I wouldn't be in a rush to change them. I've mentioned this before, but the sensors are somewhere near the middle of the pad ! You have a least a minimum of another quarter of the meileage you have currently covered on the existing ones.

I'm not sure what brakes I'm going to get yet, money is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. :ermm:

I've only had the car about a month and a half, so I don't kno how long the current pads have been fitted or how many miles they've done.

Do I need to change the discs with them as well, or will they be OK if they don't feel warped? And did I hear that the sensors need changing too, or is that me not hearing properly? :laugh:

The pads come built in with the sensors on them.

The discs most likely wont need to be changed, as long as they dont have a lip on them, but as mentioned, you wont have to change them for a while.