TQS progress thread, From STD-Scroll-Eliminator.

I am going on the losses shown on the previous RR plot. 175@FW and 131@ wheels, i used that and it was around 25%.

Like i say, i am not sure, as i an sneaking on at Uni,lOL

I was just clearing up all thats gone on with the ECU as I'm aware mine can be mapped via ODB but for others on here who were not sure I wanted to clear it up as this may be one hell of a mod for everyone and the US guys will be very interested in being able to convert their ECU's.

I'm sure you've said but what injectors are you on for the remap?

I was just clearing up all thats gone on with the ECU as I'm aware mine can be mapped via ODB but for others on here who were not sure I wanted to clear it up as this may be one hell of a mod for everyone and the US guys will be very interested in being able to convert their ECU's.

Aren't the US cars drive by wire?

Not all are DBW Lee, they had quattro AEB from the start @1997 iirc. Also to add the US ECUs are a completely different style to ours.

She is using Vauxhall LET 340 CC yellow top injectors on a 3 bar FPR

Not all are DBW Lee, they had quattro AEB from the start @1997 iirc. Also to add the US ECUs are a completely different style to ours.

She is using Vauxhall LET 340 CC yellow top injectors on a 3 bar FPR

Oh I see, Cheers mate.

Didn't know you'd changed to a 3 bar FPR.

Ahh what you also have to take in to account there VW's will also be different in the US so may be your ECU mod might still work out there!

The 3Bar was mainly to get the fuelling right with the MAF mod.

Hows yours looking lee?

I presume that Tuneside's preference if for the 3 Bar to stay on then?

Mine's coming on well, a couple of hoses were delivered yesterday and there should be a few more today. Just the oil drain that's causing problems really. I think we are aiming to fit around the end of February.

Mark what DV valve are you running?

Forge 007, was on the car when i bought it mate.

Nice to hear, keep me updated buddy,looking forward to the build weekend

Forge 007, was on the car when i bought it mate.

Nice to hear, keep me updated buddy,looking forward to the build weekend

Have you uprated the spring in the 007?

Yeah me too, no doubt Mark Hopkins will be about with his S3 too for a bit of fettling.

Audihybrid-190.jpg

We have finally achieved 12:1 AFR under load, as you can see in the graph above. It was
a tad lean at idle, so hoping to sort that and take a look at the dip
you see between 3000-4000rpm which seems to be caused by the ecu being a bit
too cautious with it's n75 control, backing off the boost because it
predicts a spike. The problem now is if she is not done tomorrow morning we lose use of the dyno for a few days.

Fingers Crossed hey

Looks like Tuneside are doing a good job :icon_thumright:

I've got my fingers crossed that they can get it finished today for you too mate. I bet you can't wait to get her back now!

You're collecting the car without the map??

So with the 25% loss calculation you would be seeing 254BHP ish.. good figures anyway!

Slight change in plan.

Chris at Tuneside has done all he can on my car, working with his tuner.

It's a damned shame as Chris was SOOOOO close , just sadly was unable to continue

The last few runs at Tuneside were done as shown above and the power was almost there but the fueling map was off and the excess fuel has contaminated the oil, hence Chris calling it a day on that session of tweakage to ensure the safety of my car.

The car is now over Rtech with Nick, hopefully he can finish the good work Chris started.
My only concern atm is that Nick noted a slight squeel from my car under load, I am hoping that this is her characteristic sound rather than a diluted oil wearing the turbo out sound.

I have my fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Slight change in plan.

Chris at Tuneside has done all he can on my car, working with his tuner. His tuner has thrown in the towel blaming my injectors as being impossible to tweak.

It's a damned shame as Chris was SOOOOO close , just sadly was unable to continue without his tuner on board.

The last few runs at Tuneside were done as shown above and the power was almost there but the fueling map was off and the excess fuel has contaminated the oil, hence Chris calling it a day on that session of tweakage to ensure the safety of my car.

The car is now over Rtech with Nick, hopefully he can finish the good work Chris started.
My only concern atm is that Nick noted a slight squeel from my car under load, I am hoping that this is her characteristic sound rather than a diluted oil wearing the turbo out sound.

I have my fingers crossed...

Can't you slip them a few notes for an oil change?

Slight update.

Car is now with Nick @ Rtech, he is going to drop out the skanky oil and filter before running her hard.

It also looks like the Turbo whistle that he noted is normal for my turbo, but seemed louder due to the DP and exhaust system join not being as airtight as it once was, possibly been scraped on something.

Last i heard they were about to smoke test my pipework for integrity and go from there.

It's a shame i cannot get the compressor map from Sean, but seeing my compwheel isn't really fitted to anything, it was never going to be easy

I can't wait to have her back i have so many bits waiting here to put on her.LOL

The car is home again still without it's map sadly.

Nick found a boost leak that wasn't there before, but could have contributed to the tuning issues.

This was caused by a siezed clamp, that subsequently snapped when trying to tighten for journey home. This would explain the whistle.
IMG_9426.jpg

He also noted possible leaking around the injectors so, i have just fitted some nice new ones and the inserts too
IMG_9414.jpg

100_8021.jpg

100_8022.jpg

I like how clean it is inside my engine now

Chris noticed a weep from the cam cover so while i was around, i changed that gasket too

100_8020.jpg

That's where the offending clamp came from, so i renewed and greased them to help ensure longevity

IMG_9407.jpg

did the same the other side, aint no boost leaking anywhere now,lol
IMG_9408.jpg

While the car was in bits i got adventerous and started onto the ICM delete. This is supposed to provide a more efficient spark than the AEB/AJL system is capable of

I used this guide to get started An Error Has Occurred!

While the guide was excellent i flet it to be pointless to leave wires running across the car, join and return. So i edited the How to to suit my needs.
Instead of just joining across these 2 plugs, i stripped the useless wiring from the loom
100_8006-1.jpg

100_8007-1.jpg

I stripped the loom back a bit to check the wires were in fact where they were supposed to be.
100_8005-1.jpg

100_8008-1.jpg

This revealed all of the required wiring, 4 power wires, one per coil, one large earth wire to then join and split into the 4 packs and the signal wires.

100_8011-1.jpg

100_8010-1.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

100_8014.jpg

Evertything else was removed as it was now redundant
IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

loom bound and fitted down properly now the gasket has been changed

100_8023.jpg

I also changed all of the O rings on the injectors, some small jub clips and then did an oil change with a large filter as the tuning problems had contaminated the oil with fuel.

Got some more bits to do tomorrow, might even update then..

Last edited:
Just a quick addition.

These are the parts currently fitted in my turbo. The compressor wheel is 53041232205 and the turbine is 53041205010

Tuning results soon

Any gen on what the 2205 and 5010 wheel is from?

Hows the car running after you fixed the various bits?

I'm looking forward to seeing it mapped!

My darling wife had got fed up with me and organised a trip to Banbury to MRC. I didn't realise they did 1.8Ts over there, but obviously they do.

They pressure tested her, and she tested all good, then Minhea and Doug changed out the 3 bar FPR and the 018CJ ECU for me when neccessary.

I am told that MRC use a device called an emulator. This device is connected to the car at the ECU point and AFAIK reads the engines requirements, they can then safely look at the figures and tweak accordingly without haveing to re chip or reflash anything

I am not 100% now as to what figure i can go on. I had more than this on my last car with less supporting mods. I was hoping for 265 ish @FW so i had 200 ATW.

So after a long wait we have a tuned car with 307Cc injectors, 4 BAR FPR,High flow ex mani, 3 inch exhaust, fmic.

mrc40001.jpg

Thumbs up from me to MRC

Humm very strange, power is only 243bhp/247ps, somewhat off what I thought these turbo's would do as the US get these figures on stock K04's.

Did MRC say there was any limiting factor on your set-up like injectors?

I found it odd that the power peaked so early...

5200rpm is extremely low.

I think mark was waiting to hear back from doug about the figures, as he didnt get to speak to him when collecting the car.

Just found Mark's old graph on his old sp51x and the figures are near on the same but with a nicer power curve on the MRC.

I would have thought the K04 would have still been have been making power or leveled out up to 6k.

remap.jpg

Last edited:
Graphs a totally different shape though...

The old graph makes peak power right up at the top end, and the torque holds on much longer.

With the new one, the torque nosedives after 5k and the power dips off soon after.

something odd going on for sure.