Recommend 3rd party warranty companies ???

Hightower

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a warranty company as thinking of taking one out after the car dealers 3 month one runs out.

Looked at both warranty direct and click4warranty (I think, they advertise on here), both seem to be around £420 for a year but click4 also offers 2 & 3 year deals, £750ish for 3 years. These prices are for their top warranties Inc 4wd system, air con, abs, ecu cover

Would be interested if any of you guys have them and if they are worth it.

The cheaper option is the AA Breakdown Repair Cover, for £60-£90 yearly fee you can get upto £500 worth of cover per claim and can claim upto 5 times per year. The cover provides for the cost of repair or replacement of most cars parts (including engine, clutch, gearbox, steering, suspension, electrical system as well as many other components of the car). This cover is effective when you have called the AA to deal with a breakdown that cannot be resolved at the roadside.

It's not a bad scheme for the premium you have to pay per year.

I have click 4 warranty. 3 year (£530) 2004 A4 CAB 1.8

I have claimed for Air Mass Meter £160 inc diagnostic, luckily they never checked as that wasn't the problem, the PCV valve was !!!

You have to have your service history with you and your MOT certificate or else you have to pay the garage and then claim back (like I did)

I've got the AA one and have had a new aircon compressor and a tandem pump:) A friend of mine recently bought a 56 plate RS4 and went to Audi to extend the warranty, it cost over £1000. It went in for a check up 2 weeks ago as he felt it wasn't going / sounding right Audi told him the flaps in the exhausts were seized and would cost nearly a £1000 to fix. He kicked off saying he had the extended warranty but they said as the flaps were part of the exhaust system they were not covered by the warranty:( Anyway an hour last week and some WD40 and they are working fine:) Moral of the story is read the small print and make sure you are happy with what you are getting/paying for cover wise.

Last edited:
I've got the AA one and have had a new aircon compressor and a tandem pump:) .

I'm surprised they were covered on the AA scheme as I thought it only covered items that needed repair after a breakdown? I wouldn't of thought an aircon compressor failing would require breakdown assistance from the AA? I may have to look into their scheme a bit closer then.

Thanks for the info

Also be mindful that warranty direct etc have a policy that once your car has done 60k miles you have to contribute 10% towards the cost of parts (they cover all labour) this steadily rises every 10k miles until you reach 50% contribution at 100k miles....

I'm surprised they were covered on the AA scheme as I thought it only covered items that needed repair after a breakdown? I wouldn't of thought an aircon compressor failing would require breakdown assistance from the AA? I may have to look into their scheme a bit closer then.

Thanks for the info

The aircon compressor seized causing horrendous noises and copious amounts of smoke:) I told the AA Patrol to cut the belt off so i could drive it to the garage. The compressor is the only part of the aircon system covered by the warranty. You have to actually breakdown and get a report from the Patrol to make a claim.

I'm trying to decide what to do about a warranty too.

Only click4warranty of all the 3rd party companies seem to cover up to 150,000 miles so thats narrowed my options (being on 109k!).

I had a look into the AA too but that really isn't as cheap as is being made out. The Breakdown Parts and Labour discussed is a £70 option on its own, without the cover. If you then factor in the £95 for the cover and add on all the bits you actually need it comes out at £225 for the year - and that supposedly includes a 42% discount for first time customers paying one annual payment!

Based on that I think a multi year policy with Click4Warranty might be a more attractive option really.

i have AA cover, and got offered an AA "prestige" warranty, which sounded like a good deal. "total" cover for £22 per month.

have had to battle tooth and nail to get anything out of them any time i try and claim, including trying to exclude me from cover on technicalities, which i got overturned. i managed to get a payout on a rear shock that snapped, and will be taking them on over my rear calipers.

the seals have failed, which may possibly let water into them so they may seize. when the warranty company spoke to teh engineer, they decided that the calipers have failed due to water damage/corrosion. they failed to see that any corrosion damage was a consequence of the seals failing. another strongly worded letter coming their way i feel.

i guess im trying to warn you off AA warranties lol, they are underwritten by motorway direct plc i think.

i have AA cover, and got offered an AA "prestige" warranty, which sounded like a good deal. "total" cover for £22 per month.

have had to battle tooth and nail to get anything out of them any time i try and claim, including trying to exclude me from cover on technicalities, which i got overturned. i managed to get a payout on a rear shock that snapped, and will be taking them on over my rear calipers.

the seals have failed, which may possibly let water into them so they may seize. when the warranty company spoke to teh engineer, they decided that the calipers have failed due to water damage/corrosion. they failed to see that any corrosion damage was a consequence of the seals failing. another strongly worded letter coming their way i feel.

i guess im trying to warn you off AA warranties lol, they are underwritten by motorway direct plc i think.

I've only had good results from the AA warranty but i think i helps if you take it to a garage that knows how to deal with warraty companies. They all try to wriggle out of claims if they can get away with it (they employ people to do this) My clutch is due to give up soon possibly due to my remap :) i'm sure they will claim it is wear amd tear and throw it out but we shall see.

I have click 4 warranty and my car has just failed its M.O.T for dodgy passenger rear brake caliper. Took it to a garage who said the seals must have gone as there isnt much else it could be.

Rang click (*****) more like, they said I had to pay to have the caliper taken apart to prove it was the seals as that is the only part of the caliper covered. The garage said that will cost more than a new caliper would, but click said I had to do it to claim

So £35 + vat an hour, would take 2 hours = £82 + I have to pay £10 excess and 30% of cost of new caliper as car has done 80k. = the same as me buying a new caliper

only way these warranties are worthwhile is if your multitronic blows or the part can be proved broken via diagnostics cheaply