Wheel And Tyre Size?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I know this will have been asked before but I couldnt find a definitive answer on the search menu.

What is the best size wheel and tyre combo to put onto my A4 1.8T sport?

I think for cost the 18" will be the best value. But I would like to put the widest tyres possible on that wont catch or cause problems? What size tyres will fit.

I read where someone had 235-35-19 on the car and lowered. I guess this setup would catch if you went over a bump fast?

Will it have to be lowered or will I get away with the fact its slightly lower been a sport?

Any suggestions welcome.

Many Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy, 235-40-18 is the size fitted as standard to the 18 inch wheels on the b6, you could go wider I suppose but it all depends on the width of your wheel. Mine are 8 x 18 with a 42 offset but you could always go for a lower offset to make them stick out a bit more so giving a wider stance, you can go as low as a 35 offset but anymore will cause you problems. Be mindful that most wheel places offer their 18 inch packages with 225 40 18's so you will have to pay a bit more if you want to go with the 235's

HTH
Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.
I will go for the 235 size. Thats the set I was thinking of anyway so now you confirm it I will go for them. What about lowering and will that size tyre not cause me any problems at all?

I dont want to have to lower the car if i can get away with it.

Andy

My understanding is that 18" wheels on the B6 always come with 235/40 size tyres, personally I've never seen 235/35's.

I agree with Quattrojames, I've got 235/40/18's on mine and i beleive thats the standard 18" on the b6

On ebay if you buy the stes of 18" alloys they come with 225-40-18 not 235. I have looked through all ebay and they dont appear to come with 235's in sets. However when you call them or e-mail they will supply them with 235's for an extra £30 in total so its not to bad. The 19's come with the 235-35-19 tyres I was mistaken.

Not sure which wheels to buy. I was looking at the RS4 as everyone has the old style RS6 and they are getting old now. But then I saw the AMG 5 spoke merc wheels and they are only £20 more expensive!

My understanding is that 18" wheels on the B6 always come with 235/40 size tyres, personally I've never seen 235/35's.

SORRY!!!! You are quite right, I'll amend my original post!!
Been pricing up a set of 19's for our Zafira SRI and these are 235/35 so getting abit confused lol !!!

I cant find any that come with 235 tyres on ebay. They all come with 225.

I could do with your thoughts on lowering or not? Will it look daft or will the springs fitted to a sport make it look ok?

How good are 19's do they ever catch with 235 tyres?
Does anyone have bigger tyres with no problems like 245 etc?

Andy:icon_thumright:

The only way I would buy wheels off ebay is if they were OEM as I personally won't use replicas. Then they either come with the right size tyres, or you fit the one's of your choice. As long as the wheels are 8.0J then 235's will fit fine. 225 tends to be the A3 size i think?

If you're determined to buy from there then I would like to think the seller would offer you the option for the 235's. Failing that take them straight off as they will most likely be budget tyres anyway, and sell them and replace with 235's, although I appreciate this will be the costly option.

Your sport will be 20mm lower than my SE, so it would certainly look ok. It would probably benefit from a further lower, but it wouldn't be needed as badly as it is on mine right now .... :blush:

Ive got the same problem i cant decide which size wheels to buy 18s or 19s ive got a audi a4 2.0l sport is that 20mm lower aswell?

The Sport models are 20mm lower than the standard or SE models irrespective of engine size I understand.

re budget wheel+tyre combo's... I've seen some suggesting that 205mm was the right width on a B6 A4!!

That's for 16" wheels though isn't it?

yes, that was.... but my 16" spare had 225mm wide tyres.... still got the 16's in the garage and thinking about getting some winter tyres for them (Snowprox?)... but scarcely seems worth it in London.... just for that week or two when we MIGHT have snow...

To be honest im a little bothered about the quality of tyres off ebay. As you said they are always budget tyres which arnt great. But I cant really aford a set of good tyres and rims. £500 is by far the most money I could muster to spent on a set so budget will have to do:wacko:. Then when they wear out I suppose buy a pair of good quality tyres etc.

Thanks James for confirming the lowering of my car. I knew it was lower but I never new how much. As you said it could do with been lower but it would probably do!

I saw a real RS4 today in a carpark and I checked the tyres size 255-35-19!!:keule:
Thats monsterously wide. But then again they have got the wide arches!

i think the RS4's came with 245 and most owners upgraded to 255.

yes, that was.... but my 16" spare had 225mm wide tyres.... still got the 16's in the garage and thinking about getting some winter tyres for them (Snowprox?)... but scarcely seems worth it in London.... just for that week or two when we MIGHT have snow...

That would be very keen! I've never had any problem in snow with just quattro, you will still leave everything else standing - are you anticipating a cold winter then? ;)

yeah - probably would bea bit too keen...

pretty much certain that the S4 came with 235/40/18's as standard

yeah - kinda hoping for the snow, just hoping for something that'll give me a bit more opportunity to drift.... wet roads aren't really enough to unstick the Quattro... so probably ought NOT to get the Snow Prox... alhtough I can confirm that as good as the T1-S's are in the wet / dry, corners / accellerating / braking.... they are pretty woeful in the snow (as are most V-pattern sports tyres)... so I'm assuming the T1-R's will be much the same....

Does anyone have pictures of standard sport a4 with 18s on it?? i cant find any which havnt been lowered, or just se stock ones:S

cheers:)

HenriEST - mine's a Sport with S-Line kit retro-fitted. Bumpers will look a bit different, but the height is still the same (18" Audi S4 Alloys)...

Last edited:
thanks lost book :) what size tyres are they ?? and is that just 20mm lowered ?

that's 100% OEM standard Sport height, no lowering at all (I think Sport is about 20mm lower than SE).

tyres are S4 spec, go with the wheels: 235/40/18

ride didn't change much at all: old wheels were 16" with incorrectly specc'd 205 with (60 profile?) tyres... can check that... they were teh right profile number, but jsut too narrow.