Replacing Inner CV joint???

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi guys, has anyone ever replaced an inner CV joint?

I thought my outter joint had gone (well, it had) so I replaced that yesterday, and the noises went away, but after 30 miles this morning the noise is back, so I'm guessing it's the inner joint instead!

What's involved in changing the inner CV joint? is it as simple as the outter? or do you loose the box oil when you remove the inner joint?

What sort of cost am I looking at for an inner joint? I've looked on GSF and eurocarparts, but can only see outter joints listed.

Cheers

Nick

hate to tell you prawn but you cant just buy the gator you have to buy a hole new inner cv joint and there about 90 notes well thats what it was like for my quattro fwd maby be diffent , you dont lose any gearbox oil as they bolt onto the gear box dry, and it might be good idea to replace the drive shaft bolts while your there as im not a 100% but i think they may be stretch bolts other then that its quit an easy job.

You would have been better off changing the whole drive shaft for a recon one, exchange is like £150 I think? Both the inner and outer CVs are reconned for that price, and no messing about with grease!

bit late for that Jojo as I've just paid £70 for a brand spanking new outter joint!

Thanks for the advice marcyp, but it's the joint I'm looking to change anyway, not just the boot.

******* cars.

The joint is easy to change. Once seperated from the drive flange. Drop it down,it may have a plate on the back, it may not. Under the plate(or not) is a circlip that secures the joint to the shaft. It should not be mega tight. and once the joint is off you can slide the gaiter off assuming you are changing that too.

I would ensure you use a small dolop of loctite or similar when you refit the driveshaft to flange bolts as they can work loose despite torqueing them up

my bad skim reading :asskicking:
byzan knows the score, nice and messy job tho we all love cv grease