8.5j on S3 sportback too wide?

Scoot Yo

Reaction score
Will these be too wide? I want to keep my 225 40 18 tyres. The car is lowered on h&r springs and obviously I don't want any rubbing?

Secondly will running an 8 front and 8.5 rear be an issue with the 4wd? Any pictures and advice would be great as I want to get them ordered in the next couple of days.

I have 8x19 summer rims, Et44 with 225's on. The car is lowered on H&R's and I get no rubbing, I did have to remove one of the arch screws though.
ET54 is standard, so it depends on the offset of the rims I would say. The tyres will also be a little stretched at that as well.
Not sure on the quattro part though tbh. Short term I would have thought it'd be fine but not sure long term

Quattro is fine as long as they same size on outside, eg 225/40/18 or 215/40/18 etc. width wont matter.
Saying this, mine has mismatched tyre sizes and i only have a problem with the ESP sometimes.

So 8.5 on the rear won't be an issue as long as the tyre sizes are the same?

Rubbing depends on your rim ET and tyre width. If you're going to use same tyres (225) and new rims' ET is +- same then you will not have any problems. You can go as wide with rims as you want unless they hit the shock or you can't stretch tyres :D

Would 8.5j on front stick out then? Also is 225 on a 8.5j dangerous?

Change of plan I've decided on some speedline turni's 18x8 with an offset of 42 will these fit ok?

Well my 8x19 ET44 with 225's needed the arch liner screw removing on the rear and now dont catch at all.
ET42 will be 2mm closer so may be just perfect or then again may need 215's (will be a little stretched though)

Is yours an s3 mate? What suspension you on?

Fingers crossed it will be ok.

Am I right in thinking an et 42 will be the same as an et 54 (ie standard) with 12mm spacers on?

Wprst case scenario they may rub a bit then do you think on 225? Nothing drastic like stick out from the arch?

Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to wheel fitment.

Wprst case scenario they may rub a bit then do you think on 225? Nothing drastic like stick out from the arch?

Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to wheel fitment.
They won't stick out just that from my experience you'll be on the absolute minimum for catching, especially with 225's
Like i said earlier, you'll be 2mm closer than my setup. Not much it maybe ok or it maybe not!

Could you have the wheels machined down do you think?

I suppose if the mounting is thick enough and you have the right shop to do it then yes its feasible.
Would I do it? Er no I wouldn't want the risk!