s4 xenon hedlamps

marsie

Reaction score
After coming home late tonite i noticed that when i pulled up to my garage door that one headlamp was brilliant white and the other was less bright and pink?
I swapped the bulbs side to side and the bright lamp swapped sides

Does this mean my xenon bulb is on its way out?
Paul
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah but dime a dozen on ebay or www.hids4u.co.uk do replacements, dont use audi as rip ur backside out for same bulbs

Yeah, one of mine seemed to die briefly and I assumed they were like a ton a bulb. I popped into Halfords and they were 20 quid for 2 lol

I doubt they were HID bulbs mate, 2 for £20 & I havnt seen halfords sell proper HID bulbs so far & there site doesnt show any, maybe the H7 etc standard bulbs that people seem to call xenon if they have a blue coating on them, lol, but HID doubt it, please do prove me wrong as would surprise me for sure.

Dunno, just said I wanted a xennon bulb for my 1999 S4 and he said they were on offer at half price, so yeah, would've been 20 quid EACH normally.

I think they sell normal filament bulbs with xenon gas inside, which are slightly brighter than halogen ones, so its probably those they were quoting you.

Maybe, but luckily I didn't need a new one. It came back on and has been fine for the last year or so.

Lucky yeah cause they wouldnt of worked on your xenon headlights mate, lol & aragorn is right xenon gas inside but certainly not HID's

Don't proper ones generally last the life of the car (unless they get smashed obviously)?

I don't know much about them and this is the first car I've had with them on.

HID's wear out, the lumens get worse over time. My lights are from an 01 S4 and I changed the bulbs with new stock ones the first time and it made a huge difference. I then swapped out lenses and got an even bigger difference. Then, lastly I changed the bulbs to a different kelvin and yet again a noticeable difference. I'm not sure how much different euro vrs US spec S4 internals are. I thought they used the same housing. I think its called a colorshift, if you look at an older HID bulb there is more salt buildup on the inside of it, something to do with chemical reactions from my understanding.

Edit: found this link that might be helpful. http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

Last edited: