Boy Does My Haldex Work And Didn't I Scare Myself!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So was driving back from langsett (on the way to manchester) to barnsley and was driving along a stretch of country road, 60mph speed limit, i was doing 60 in 6th when a T**t in a convertible astra came up my ****, so a little bit on theres a 90 sweepingish bend so still going along in 6th at 60 i took the bend (F**k knows what i was thinking) and bang the back end lit up and through me to the other side of the road, tryed to correct it but as i did the haldex kicked in again and through back to the other side, tryed to correct again but did the same, finaly i managed to pull the car back after a right fight.
Could not believe how violently the haldex kicked in, its never done that before even when ive drove it hard in the wet!
I dont think the 70kg+ of tools in the boot helped smashing from 1 side to another.
Anyway im now wearing brown boxers instead of the white 1s i had this morning lmfao.
So the morial is dont underestimate the haldex system and dont drive like a ****.

Sounds like a right tank slapper. Bet the dude in the astra had an entertaining scene to watch lol.

Aye 6th at 60 wasnt a good start. May well have been the esp kicking in too.

Think he had a little chuckle.
Yup 6th round a corner not a good idea.
Havent got it minty.

Dude, i think you need to change your to do list on your sig to include:

Change your chuddies!!! ;)

woah well they say every day is a school day and today is no exception....it appears Dani doesn't do commando girls!!! and a good job too with sounds of things :D

erm, cant see why this has happend tbh mate....doesnt really make that much sense as a characteristic of the car.....

I dont either, the only thing i can think of is the tools in the boot shifting and hitting the side, the weight and force of them could of had an effect!

Glad you didn't come a cropper Dani, 6th gear wouldn't of helped in that situation, that said though I think the haldex system can be very unpredictable and be more of a hindrance sometimes, straight line launch wet or dry it's brilliant, but corners it can sometimes give you a thump from behind when you don't always want it...

Your right mate, in 8 months though its the first time its acted like that.
The thing what actualy scared me was that the road side had the old stone verges about a foot high so if id have hit one i dont think id have been on here now and i doubt the car would have been parked on the drive.
Live and learn i guess.

This sounds a mirror image of what has happened in two instances I know of and Ess Three had it kick in catching him unawares as well so this 'safety' feature is not all good.
Your very lucky Dan have a go on the Euro lotto mate ;)

Thought i read about it happening to glen but couldnt remeber where i read it tbh if you had seen it from the guys point of view behind me it was far far from being a safety feature, the force was unreal from the back.
Ooh yes :)

Gotta love Haldex... I'm on my 3rd Haldex based car (others being R32 and GT TDI 4MO). I found with the TDi with the torque you could get it to behave like RWD.

Anyway, glad you're OK and that you know have some experience with Haldex and what not to do!

:)

I hope as soon as you got home you put those boxer in the wash! But glad you were not hurt or damaged your pride and joy! And as already said those tools probably did not help and 60mph in 6th gear lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replys guys.
The boxer have have now been destroy lol.
What is the handling like with that fitted andrew?

Fun, i like looking out for tight 90 deg right hand bends that i can take in 2nd and floor it, you can get them to tank slap a bit also so be careful, you will feel it more in a remapped car