cleaning brake calipers?

emery1990

Reaction score
im in the middle of cleaning my carriers as im awaiting my 312 discs, so im bored and started cleaning them, im waiting for them to dry then going to sand them down a bit, then paint them with some hammerite, but how will i go about actually cleaning my calipers, can i get away with not taking them off completely, if this is the case can cleaning agents affect the discs if some is spilled on them, as to why im thinking about doing it while ive got my old discs on?

i cleaned my carriers with some degreaser, used for getting oil stains out of driveways? then gave them a good scrub with a toothbrush, then brushed toothbrushed them with white spirit, now soaking them in warm water with fairy liquid in it, to remove the white spirit.

Pretty much what you have done to the carriers can be done on the caliper too TBH as long as you clean any oil or paint off the discs with white spirit or brake cleaner then there is no prob. Does white spirit not leave a residue?

i normaly wire brush them, and then paint them, just be careful not to paint the sliders, or where the pads sit.

ok thats good then, yer i think it does thats why i always use fair liquid after using it, on my hands etc to get rid of the residue it may leave? what so i basically just paint the front then and dont on the inside of the caliper. Im painting them grey so mispainted bits wouldnt show up as much.